Author Topic: Conceal AND Carry  (Read 9320 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 05:47:50 AM »
Tejon, don't you expect to be annoyed when you listen to NPR?

When my dad gets out the tape mayshur, he mayshurs the lenth of things.

Actually, he doesn't say lenth or strenth.  That is common among Black folk.  Strangely, though, they seem to be the only Americans that say "aunt" properly.  I address my aunts as if they were insects.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 06:03:13 AM »
Congradulations

This one may be a little more controversial - the use of the phrase 'I could care less [about what you think]'. I know some claim it is 'ironic', but it really does imply that you do care what the other thinks.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 06:10:12 AM »
Chuck Grassley is a fossil, probably has arthritis of the vocal cords. He is from NE IA some of them take on a MN and WI accents. Probably where he got it from, Don't cha know?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 06:50:07 AM »
I always thought the extra R's was a Texas thing...?  (as in "worsh my car", and "plant some skworsh").  I believe the R's emigrated from Massachusetts, where they "pahk" their "cahh" Wink

I have a theory that the "you all / ya'll" in Southern lingo originates from the fact that the immigrant Gaels had singular and plural form of "you"  ("thu" and "sibh").  Confounded by the single english word, they started adding "all" when speaking to several people.  Just my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

That's odd, El Tejon ... I have a great-grandfather that went by "Kirt".  His official middle initial was "K" but I dunno what that was supposed to stand for.  Worse than that, his name got passed down among some of the family as "Clark" which was quite confusing for a while until I figured out the error.

So just be glad you are not called "Clark"  Tongue

You should tell folks it is "Kirk" as in "Kirk Douglas" - or doesn't anybody remember him anymore?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »
Interesting theory, Tallpine.  If it works that way, then there must be a lot of long o's that fled the Saint Louis region.  (Highway 44 is farty-far.)  What happened to those o's?

Iain,

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 06:56:59 AM »
charby, I am always annoyed at NPR.  I consider it training.  If I can listen to National People's Radio without throwing anything out my office window or kicking a trash can, I can handle anything.Cheesy

Tall, a professor at the University of South Carolina told me that "Kirt" is lesser used Scottish name.  That came to the US via the Scot-Irish immigration wave in the 1700s.

It is allegedly still found in the hills down there.  Could be where they are geting it.  The name "Kirt" is stuck in some collective memory of their kinfolk from down South.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
charby, I am always annoyed at NPR.  I consider it training.  If I can listen to National People's Radio without throwing anything out my office window or kicking a trash can, I can handle anything.Cheesy

Tall, a professor at the University of South Carolina told me that "Kirt" is lesser used Scottish name.  That came to the US via the Scot-Irish immigration wave in the 1700s.

It is allegedly still found in the hills down there.  Could be where they are geting it.  The name "Kirt" is stuck in some collective memory of their kinfolk from down South.
I tink use gets me and fistyfull confuzed wit em each utter

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 08:08:05 AM »
Charby, you must be so flattered.  Tongue

Where does the ignorance come from?  My answer is a synthesis of inbreeding, laziness and illiteracy.  The next time you hear "conceal and carry" ask the speaker about his bloodline, education and employment.  I believe it will clear things up for you.
I don't think it's limited to the uneducated and lower-class.  I've heard lawmakers and proffessional broadcasters use the phrase.

El Tejon

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »
There's a difference???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
I know fistful.

On a totally related side note - I knew a boy at school called Clark Allen. School registers being surname first, calling attendance could really confuse substitutes.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »
There's a difference???
Yeah he's a neo con and I'm not

Uranus is a gas giant.

JonnyB

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 08:59:09 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Interesting theory, Tallpine.  If it works that way, then there must be a lot of long o's that fled the Saint Louis region.  (Highway 44 is farty-far.)  What happened to those o's?
Those letters have made their way to Minnesota. While some people have a (this is hard in print) 'baeot' at their dock, Minnesotans have a (stretch out the word) 'boh-ote'. Very long, very round 'ohs'. I caught no end of hell from a Maryland native about (abowt) it. I've tried for several years (somewhat successfully) to lessen the roundness of my Os.

Even the state name - Minnah-sO-tuh - has it when spoken by natives. Others likely pronounce it Minnasoda, with no particular emphasis. Listen to our former governor, turned hairball, Jesse Ventura, when he speaks. In no other way, though, is he a typical Minnesotan. Really. I ain't foolin' none about this.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »

Well, South Carolina (late 1700's) is where I traced my dad's family back to ... but I'm stuck there and can't find leads back any further.  Sad

I was also interested to learn that some expressions that I thought were just "Okie" actually came from Lowland Scots.  That was my mom's family - they came over from Ulster in time for the Revolution.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Heh heh...my old supervisor was from St. Louis.  He always used to tell me about the Carvette he was going to buy someday.

Roun here in O-hi -uh, we like to ketch feesh, mayzure them, worsh em and thin cook em in a kittle.  Fell free to stop by-here- and join us for supper.

One thing my Chicago friends say that bugs me is, "you wanna come wit"?  Wit what, who, where, when?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »
Quote from: charby
There's a difference???
Yeah he's a neo con and I'm not
I am?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:11 AM »
I was being funny.. just roll with it

Uranus is a gas giant.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 11:42:16 AM »
PrestEEjis should be PRESTijis
Color me confused.  You're talking about "prestigious" right?  I ain't ne'er heard the first syllable emphasized.  I'm all for "stij" instead of "steej," but that's still the stressed syllable.

Either - eye-ther or ee-ther?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »
Like I said, we Americans stress our words the wrong way.  If you've never heard PRESTigious, it's probably because you are between Mexico and OK, rather than between Ireland and France.  To be honest, I don't know if they stress the word correctly in England, either.

Strings

Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:44 PM »
Since nobody else felt the need to point it out...

>It is slowly driving me insane.<

El T, that would be a short ride backwards... Tongue

My absolute favorite phrase (my wife heard a friend's father utter it, he normally a fairly intelligent man): "Throw me down the stairs my shoes once"

Stand_watie

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
Quote from: fistful
When my dad gets out the tape mayshur, he mayshurs the lenth of things.

Actually, he doesn't say lenth or strenth.  That is common among Black folk.  Strangely, though, they seem to be the only Americans that say "aunt" properly.  I address my aunts as if they were insects.
"Aunt" is common in New England. I think colonial areas especially, and probably was in Virginia and Carolina as well (hence blacks using it).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

El Tejon

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 05:39:18 AM »
Hunter, ride?  No, I can get out and walk to insanity.Cheesy

Wait, my watch is talking to me, I have to go.

BaxterGriffin

Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 06:48:02 PM »
I once worked with a guy who always pronounced "supposedly" as "supposuvly"...a touch annoying at times hahaha...

My father, an English major / former Marine / ex-cop / aspiring author / all-around well-versed person, usually pronounces "Chicago" as "Chicargo."  

I'm sure if I dwell on this much longer I can turn up some quirky phraseology of my own...
"Go ahead...make my chili."

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »
Quote from: BaxterGriffin
"supposuvly"
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that one.  "Supposably" is fairly common, too.  What I find worse is that people don't know what "supposed to" actually means, so they use that phrase incorrectly.

preFERably should be  PREFerably.

Using "pro-life" as a noun (it is an adjective).  "He doesn't believe in pro-life."  Of course, I don't see the need for the euphemism, anyway.  And what's with "pro-choice"?  It's ridiculously vague.  Just say "pro-abortion."

Stickjockey

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 04:41:24 AM »
Spelling/pronunciation: "Hey that tank's got a really big turrent.

Grammar: "Where's it at?"
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Stand_watie

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
Quote from: Stickjockey
Spelling/pronunciation: "Hey that tanks got a really big turrent.

Grammar: "Where's it at?"
Wrong words for what they mean that I've seen on the internet

a) "I got a big ol' whelp on the back of my neck and it hurts."

b) "I think we ought to take a different tact with that."

c) "You're loosing control man, get a grip!" (very common).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"