Author Topic: 9th Circuit Court blocks Arizona voter ID law  (Read 2270 times)

Desertdog

• friends
9th Circuit Court blocks Arizona voter ID law
« on: October 07, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »
Decisions like this is why they are called "The 9th Circus Court."  It seems the voters of a state means nothing to them

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5505622

Arizona's voting law is in upheaval a little more than a month before the general election.
Late Wednesday, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco blocked the enforcement of Proposition 200.

Arizona voters passed Proposition 200 back in 2004.

It requires voters to show identification at the polls and to have proof of citizenship when registering to vote.

At least six advocacy groups, Including MALDEF, an Hispanic rights advocacy group, filed a lawsuit challenging the proposition.

They claimed it would disenfranchise some voters.

Secretary of State Jan Brewer sent out this statement, Wednesday night expressing concern over the timing of the court's decision, which she says "will lead to confusion at the polls."

Attorney General Terry Goddard said in a statement Wednesday night that he will "promptly seek a review of the court's decision" and appeal directly to the U.S. Supreme Court, if necessary.

News 4 wanted to know what the local voters thought of the timing of the decision by the 9th Circuit Court.

Opinions are mixed.

"I can see both sides of the argument. It makes sense though that there's ID's because there seems to be a lot of malicious people so it's kind of protecting everyone by being a little bit more strict. I can understand that," says Pima Community College student, Jared McFarland.

The 2004 law requires voters at polling places to show government-issued picture IDs or two pieces of other non-photo identification.

Some people we talked to said the federal court should "butt-out" and uphold what the voters want.

Jason Parrish, a long time Tucsonan who voted for Proposition 200, said, "It's a situation where we made up our mind what we wanted to do in this state and someone came along and said, 'You shouldn't be allowed to do this.' I question why they did it. I don't agree with (the court's decision) at all."

Tucsonan Robert Jenkins told us, "You should be able to vote even if you're a homeless person. If you don't have any ID, you should be able to vote if you're registered, so I agree with their decision that you don't need it."

Jenkins added, "It seems like it makes it a little easier for voter corruption, possibly, so they'll have to figure out some measure to check on voting, but I like their decision in general."

"I think that the court should respect the ruling that we have here in Arizona and that it's okay for people to show their ID when they vote. I think it's a good idea," says Sarah Sparks, a Tucsonan.

The court ruled that the injunction will stand until the court decides on the appeal, which could take months.

That means those Proposition 200 requirements most likely won't be enforced November 7th.

Early voting began Wednesday and you have until midnight Monday to register, if you want to vote in November.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »
We show driving licenses here in Colorado before voting. It doesn't keep all the illegal aliens from voting, but some, at least.

Small wonder the Ninth Circus is opposed.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:57:21 PM »
A strong argument for the death penalty for judicial activism (only partly tongue-in-cheek).
Yeah, let's wait until it's too late to appeal before we rule. Buttwipes.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:30:18 PM »
It doesn't keep all the illegal aliens from voting, but some, at least.
It isn't just the illegal alien voting, it is any person, party, group or association of people that votes more than once that I want stopped.

One person, one vote only.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:58 AM »
But you can't vote more than once, regardless of whether or not you show ID. When you vote, your name is already checked against a list of registered voters and marked off. If you come in later and try to vote, you won't be allowed to. If someone else already voted in your name, there is a process to fix that, that I believe varies a little in each area.

I think proof of citizenship to register to vote is good. I'm not so comfy with ID at the polls. It hasn't been needed for 230 years and I'm not sure its needed now.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 03:44:41 AM »
We show ID and get checked off a registered voters list here. Seems like common sense to me.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 05:59:55 AM »
But you can't vote more than once, regardless of whether or not you show ID.
It just makes it harder for those residents that reside in the cemetaries and those with the phoney names to vote.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »
As long as the government provides a free identification card to all people who are qualified to vote without exception, then this is fine. Then again, that sounds a lot like a voter registration card.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:10:48 PM »
Then again, that sounds a lot like a voter registration card.
Some way needs to be found that insures that the person registered is the person voting.  Voter Id card, fingerprints, picture ID, any fairly foolproof way to prove you are the person you say you are.  

Why should any person residing in a cemetery have the same rights to vote as the person who is alive?  Right now they have the same rights as you do, by proxy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 03:08:58 PM »
I say we find out who all these dead voters are, open up their graves, hammer a wooden stake through their hearts and stake em down to the ground dammit! Friggin' dead people, ya gotta keep an eye on them all the time... rolleyes

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:29:45 PM »
You would think that folks from the Windy City would be more religious when they see the ressurection every few years.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
I could understand all the concern about discouraging people from voting if voter fraud had not become such a big business.  Cornelia Ford was unseated frm the TN state senate when it turned out that her margin of victory came from people ineligible ot vote (I dont think any of them were dead). PA and MO have had serious issues with fraud.  It is a problem that will undermine the legitimacy of the system if it is not addressed.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
I could understand all the concern about discouraging people from voting if voter fraud had not become such a big business.  Cornelia Ford was unseated frm the TN state senate when it turned out that her margin of victory came from people ineligible ot vote (I dont think any of them were dead). PA and MO have had serious issues with fraud.  It is a problem that will undermine the legitimacy of the system if it is not addressed.
Chicago of course is the famous example, but Milwaukee was another that I heard about in the last (or was it the one before?) Presidential election.

While I think we probably have the best vote count we've ever had, I have to agree with you about undermining the system - especially in light of a recent trend towards the squealing of "Recount, they stol'd the election!", and the involvement of courts in the process.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 07:01:04 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Quote from: The Rabbi
Chicago of course is the famous example, but Milwaukee was another that I heard about in the last (or was it the one before?) Presidential election.

While I think we probably have the best vote count we've ever had, I have to agree with you about undermining the system - especially in light of a recent trend towards the squealing of "Recount, they stol'd the election!", and the involvement of courts in the process.
It was the "smokes for votes" plan. Heavy democrat supporter Connie Milstein from NY city came here during the 2000 national election and trade cigerettes to homeless people for voting for Gore.

In 2004 there were other voting problems in Milwaukee. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=324933
...More than 200 felons voted while on P&P.
...More than 100 voted twice.
...There were 4600 more votes cast than voters listed.
...More than 100 same day registration cards were missing after the election.

This was just in the city of Milwaukee. The rest of the state (Madison, Beloit, Racine and Kenosha) were not included in any investigation. Madison should be just due to the UW being there and the ease with which students from out of state would be able to cast a vote in WI and in their home state via absentee ballot.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »
Ah corruption, ya gotta love it...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 06:01:05 PM »
I agree that corruption should be stopped if at all possible as it does undermine people's confidence in voting.

Every time I have seen proposals for requiring ID's to vote, a provision to get a free state ID card was included or already available.  

Down here, you can vote without an ID.  I think they will take just about anything if you name is on the voter rolls.  I haven't really tried to see that myself as I normally have my license or my voter registration card to hand them as it makes it go faster.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
Quote from: Desertdog
Then again, that sounds a lot like a voter registration card.
Some way needs to be found that insures that the person registered is the person voting.  Voter Id card, fingerprints, picture ID, any fairly foolproof way to prove you are the person you say you are.
Wouldnt it be easier to just put a photo on the Voter Registration card? Why all the complicated solutions for a simple problem?

LAK

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 11:15:09 PM »
This is a good illustration of the game being played by our own government oligarchy against it's citizens in this country.

On the one hand, the Executive branch can ad lib it's legal way with a plethora of privacy invasions, identification requirements and disclosures in order that citizens may buy a firearm, drive a motor vehicle, travel in other ways, etc etc.

And yet on the other hand, a State attempts to ensure the integrity of it's voting system and is "struck down" by a willing tool of the ruling oligarchy in the form of the 9th Circuit Court.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »
Quote from: LAK
This is a good illustration of the game being played by our own government oligarchy against it's citizens in this country.

On the one hand, the Executive branch can ad lib it's legal way with a plethora of privacy invasions, identification requirements and disclosures in order that citizens may buy a firearm, drive a motor vehicle, travel in other ways, etc etc.

And yet on the other hand, a State attempts to ensure the integrity of it's voting system and is "struck down" by a willing tool of the ruling oligarchy in the form of the 9th Circuit Court.
Uh, boy.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 01:17:22 AM »
That short phrase is usually the first thing to mind when I hear or read someone's attempted dissection of some glaring contradiction of reason and logic, typically one of the plethora of manifestations of the ruling oligarchy.

After seeing it so often, I have come to the conclusion that it is a sort of fear based mental disconnect; a compartmentalization. Rather like that of a women whose jealous but "loving" husband cheats on her and beats her black and blue. Yet she refuses to recognize what he is, leave him behind, and instead thinks she has a rational explanation for the things he does and absolves his psychotic behavior. She defends him.

Uh boy is right.

----------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 03:48:48 AM »
Cheap and effective solution:  Vote like Iraqis.  After voting, one's finger is dipped in ink/dye to show that person has voted.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 04:59:53 AM »
That short phrase is usually the first thing to mind when I hear or read someone's attempted dissection of some glaring contradiction of reason and logic, typically one of the plethora of manifestations of the ruling oligarchy.

After seeing it so often, I have come to the conclusion that it is a sort of fear based mental disconnect; a compartmentalization. Rather like that of a women whose jealous but "loving" husband cheats on her and beats her black and blue. Yet she refuses to recognize what he is, leave him behind, and instead thinks she has a rational explanation for the things he does and absolves his psychotic behavior. She defends him.

Uh boy is right.
I would parody this but I think I couldn't beat what's already there.

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 05:18:41 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
Cheap and effective solution:  Vote like Iraqis.  After voting, one's finger is dipped in ink/dye to show that person has voted.
+1 to that, if Iraq and Afghanistan can figure out that simple solution and even Mexico can require photo ID to vote, it really says something when some states strongly object to any similar solution.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 05:24:54 AM »
..And yet on the other hand, a State attempts to ensure the integrity of it's voting system and is "struck down" by a willing tool of the ruling oligarchy in the form of the 9th Circuit Court.
Just for comparitive purposes, could you define for us whom you believe the "ruling oligarchy" is, so we could see if their actions and legislation are similar to that of the 9th circuit court?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 01:24:59 PM »
As StopTheGrays mentioned, this is a huge issue in Wisconsin. There was a lot of voter fraud here in 2004.

We had liberal activists from Illinois coming up here and registering people to vote on college campuses. They were paid by the number of registrations they got, and often didn't ask for any form of identification.

We had people who went to the polls, only to find that someone else had already voted in their name.

Governor Doyle has now twice vetoed a voter ID bill. And I think the reasons are obvious: he and his fellow Democrats will benefit the most from illegal votes.

As for the article:
"The 2004 law requires voters at polling places to show government-issued picture IDs or two pieces of other non-photo identification."

How difficult is it to show two pieces of paper that have your name and address on them?