Author Topic: Where to get news on the internet?  (Read 1806 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Where to get news on the internet?
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:41:45 AM »
Can anyone suggest good places to get news on the internet?  Other than Fred Phelps' indispensable website, of course.  Wink
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:48:07 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Can anyone suggest good places to get news on the internet?  Other than Fred Phelps' indispensable website, of course.  Wink
Depends on your definition of news. Many of the more common sites have pretty good coverage of most things - CNN, Fox, etc.

If you are looking at coverage of political news, any of them can make you crazy depending on your political slant.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:21:56 AM »
Newspaper-type articles are available via link at Google News and at Yahoo News.

I like World Net Daily because the links to non-WND articles commonly are "News of the Weird".  The effect varies as to laughing or crying...

But then in today's world, most news articles seem weird to me.  The inmates have taken over the asylum; nobody's minding the store.

For in-depth information for self-defense of my billfold, I subscribe to some free email stuff:  The Daily Reckoning, Whiskey and Gunpowder, The Daily Pfennig.  They give real-world numbers about economic stuff.  I also subscribe to Strategic Investment.  Doug Casey's "What we know" is also a freebie email, coming in every week or so.

I've taken to ignoring editorials, generally.  Most of them seem to know less than I about "The Meaning Of It All"--and I'm unsure if that's an advantage or disadvantage of the combination of old age and of having paid attention.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Keith Wheeler

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:48:09 AM »
Since the production of "news" is like all human endeavors -- that is it is difficult for the attitudes of the producer to not be reflected in their work -- I like to read a variety of sources.  I guess it's kind of a Nyquist-theorem/sampling thing.  If you sample the information at high enough frequency then you don't suffer from aliasing.

I really like the BBC; they tend to have good international coverage as well as great science.

I also read a lot of Israeli news from the J-post and Haaretz to the DEBKA files.

I approach all news with a bit of suspicion.  News producers are in the business of selling advertising, not news.  And those independents who aren't "selling" are most likely pushing an agenda.  To me that doesn't mean "ignore them", I'd rather approach the news like intelligence gathering.

Art -- if you're in to "News of the Weird", check out Fortean Times.  It's a magazine devoted to a skeptical viewpoint of the strange and paranormal...the fun bit is their web page, they have a daily "Breaking News" section that links to various news pages around the world featuring odd things.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:23:57 AM »
news aggregators:
Fark.com <-funny
freerepublic.com <-conservative

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110009069 <-will come to your inbox daily if you sign up for it

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:59 AM »
where you go depends on who you believe.  I steer clear of most of the libertarian sites, since they are by and large conspiracy whack jobs.  
I like The American Spectator, The American Thinker, and Drudge.  Be sure to access some foreign sites as well.  They will give a totally different perspective than US sources.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »
www.refdesk.com

It has all the news thats fit to read, plus a lot more. From all the majors, AP, UPI, BBC all the way to links for local papers. Plus it has a lot more stuff than just news.

bob

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »
http://mondotimes.com/

Source for worldwide media outlets.  Good stuff for a news junkie.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 06:04:22 AM »
Keith, my problem is that so much of what's supposed to be "straight" news comes across as weird, to me.  It seems to me that a lot of what the newsies on TV get all excited about is not worth the air time; it's too trivial to care about.

It's likely an age thing.  I keep wondering, "Where are the grownups?  Where did they go?"

Art

Keith Wheeler

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:31:31 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
It's likely an age thing.  I keep wondering, "Where are the grownups?  Where did they go?"
The BBC?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 03:51:22 PM »
BBC?  Maybe so.  They're certainly not in the British papers.

Probably the Christian Science Monitor is the least biased, the most objective, of all papers.

Art

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »
The "Best of the Web" ones are basically a news digest, well written by James Taranto.