Author Topic: Computer viruses - money maker?  (Read 739 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Computer viruses - money maker?
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
As usually happens when I ought to be studying, my mind has wandered to thoughts that have nothing to do with me.  

I've never really had a computer science course, so this question might have a simple answer. Is there a good reason why computer viruses are not concocted by computer companies to sell more computers/software? I keep thinking of what my high school economics teacher said, "follow the dollar..."  I can't come up with a compelling monetary reason for individuals to come up with viruses. It can imagine doing it for purely malicious reasons, but not much else. Companies, on the other hand, have a lot to gain. They invent the problems, then come up with software to sell that stops it. Plus, they don't have to spend much time figuring things out, since they designed the virus to begin with.

Or are the majority of 'true' viruses meant to illicit the subject's personal info to be used for personal gain?

I'm not usually so conspiracy minded, but this seems to make sense..... talk some logic into me?
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

client32

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »
There are a good number of "true" viruses out there.  There are several things they do.  Some go through and try to harvest information such as serial numbers to various programs, email address, personal information, some want to enslave your machine so that it can be used for what ever purpose.

In short, not all viruses are for simple malicious intent.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:43:35 AM »
There's been a fair amount of speculation over the years that companies making anti-virus software have hackers in a back room somewhere concocting viruses so that consumers will buy the latest anti-virus software, and keep paying for updates.

AFAIK this has never been proven, at least insofar as the major players are concerned . . . so either they're not engaging in this practice, or they're very adept at covering their tracks.

(Even if they're a company with integrity, it makes sense that they'd have someone creating viruses, so they could be proactive in updating their software to cover possible future threats . . . hopefully, they don't cross the line by releasing these viruses.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »
Is there a good reason why computer viruses are not concocted by computer companies to sell more computers/software?
I've had the same speculation for years.
Some of the anti-virus programs are worse than viruses themselves. Ever try to remove Norton or McAfee programs from your PC? How much processing power do they consume?

I only use the free AVG program and haven't been burned in the 2-3 years I've been using it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

client32

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »
Quote from: HankB
(Even if they're a company with integrity, it makes sense that they'd have someone creating viruses, so they could be proactive in updating their software to cover possible future threats . . . hopefully, they don't cross the line by releasing these viruses.)
I have no authority for this comment, but I bet this is going on.  There are quite frequently proof of concept viruses.  I don't know where all of these come from, but I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't from an AV company.

In other new the big AV companies are pissed at MS right now over the new version of Windows.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.