Author Topic: Become an airline pilot and see the world from your furlough  (Read 917 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/pilots-were-once-in-short-supply-now-theyre-losing-their-jobs/

It was only a few short years ago that there was much concern over an impending pilot shortage.  Now not so much.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Become an airline pilot and see the world from your furlough
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
The roller coaster nature of being an airline pilot, after spending big bucks to get there is one of the reasons I’m glad I didn’t pursue it
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
And in another few short years there will be a shortage again.

Commercial Air travel has cyclical ups and down, although this one is a pretty big down, and it doesn't respond well to expensive, long training time jobs like pilots.

Add to that the military is short on pilots and adding extra service obligations to our pilots to make them stay longer and a major source of trained pilots for the commercial sector is choked up a bit as well.

One of the real issues with the airline industry as it is run in the US with tight margins and a lot of competition is that the industry doesn't weather dips well.  My Dad still works Ops for Alaska Airlines and has been furloughed since April.  He's hoping they will offer one of those early retirement packages the article mentioned and he can just call it.  Alaska is looking at cutting abut a quarter of their workforce over the next 6-8 months.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
I had read before of the costs that people incur to go to flight school or college and start accumulating flight time hours to be able to land an entry position.  I had no idea that you could easily spend in excess of $ 100 K and then not be able to find a job.  We laugh a lot here at people who spend that much in a 'useless' degree and then cannot find a job, so I guess we should add entry-level pilots to that list.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »
A friend's son just graduated the University of Dubuque with the intention of becoming a commercial pilot. Really talented kid, very high marks in school, his instructors love him.

Now this *expletive deleted*it.

He's still got to get his time in as a certified flight instructor, after which he can start looking for jobs, but still... not good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
Has the cargo side of commercial flying taken as big a hit as the passenger side?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »
As big a hit?

No clue.

But it has taken a hit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
All jobs/careers have risks.  This Covid shutdown is worse than 9/11 was, but my company is already pulling planes out of storage.  We aren't furloughing any pilots until at least May 1st next year.

I think requiring a college degree for this career is unnecessary.  We have technical jobs, not general knowledge jobs.

Cargo flying isn't affected nearly as much.  I don't know the restrictions on international flying, but the Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, etc. shipping is up overall.

We will be mostly recovered by next year.  That's my guess anyway.   If we do recover as an industry, the pilot shortage will start again in 2 or 3 years.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »
So Fly320s, what was your entry as a commercial pilot?  Are you former military or did the civilian flight school/career ladder?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »
So Fly320s, what was your entry as a commercial pilot?  Are you former military or did the civilian flight school/career ladder?

All civilian. Got a degree because most airlines require a degree, but I have flown with several guys who don't have a degree.

Flight instructing, small commuters, regional carrier, finally major airline. Graduated college in '93, got hired at my current job in 2001.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 01:50:28 AM »
Surely, this is only a temporary problem?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:50:54 AM »
Surely, this is only a temporary problem?

It is temporary, and don't call me Shirley.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
Has the cargo side of commercial flying taken as big a hit as the passenger side?

UPS airlines in Louisville is working at holiday levels with lots of overtime
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes