Author Topic: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)  (Read 54138 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
After 2-3 years of decomposing? Yeah, they probably are going to be softer than when the owners were living.

You'd think then that the ZA would be self-limiting.  5 or 6 years in, none of the original batch would be able to move anymore.  Later waves would be going steadily downhill as well.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
They were pretty marshmallow fluffy bone structure from day 1.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
Oh boy.. one could argue that everyone in the walking dead world is marshmallow soft, even the living. Zombies have a real easy time ripping apart live people and animals, even with their own frail hands and all.

The whole "how come decomposition doesn't run it's full course" and other physiologic follies is something I don't like to think about too much because it kills the immersion.

The idea I picture to justify their still walking around is that zombies that don't feed on living flesh decompose and fade away(albeit very slowly), and those that do eat the living recover strength and recompose slightly. You could even argue that the faster zombies are recently fed and the slow lumbering ones are the ones who haven't had a meal in a while. Maybe they aren't really dead but have a Ophiocordyceps unilateralis type fungal infection that infects their body and their mind? It could explain a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
"Oh boy.. one could argue that everyone in the walking dead world is marshmallow soft, even the living. Zombies have a real easy time ripping apart live people and animals, even with their own frail hands and all."

Not if you saw Rick and the doctor going hammer and tong at each other in last week's episode.

No marshmallow fluff skulls there... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
"Something like a Katana requires a pretty specialized skill set to use effectively."

Realistically, no more so than any other cutting weapon in such a situation, and it's something that's going to be learned pretty quickly. You're not going up against samurai walkers... just run of the mill southern walkers.

And, any bladed weapon is going to get nicked and dull chopping through bones and such. That's addressed with maintenance.

But remember, it's pretty evident from the way they stick a knife through a skull and the like, that once you turn into a zombie, your bones turn into marshmallow fluff.

Katana takes a very specialized skill to sharpen however  -the edge is one long polished bevel, unlike a knife or a machete which has a seperate cutting bevel. Personally I'd go with a machete or kukri to toss into my wheelbarrow- easier to touch up the edge,  easier to use in confined spaces.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
You have to suspend belief to some extent to enjoy the show at all. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
ITT, folks talking about weapons being impractical and decomposition rates in a show about the gorram dead re-animating
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
Katana takes a very specialized skill to sharpen however  -the edge is one long polished bevel, unlike a knife or a machete which has a seperate cutting bevel. Personally I'd go with a machete or kukri to toss into my wheelbarrow- easier to touch up the edge,  easier to use in confined spaces.

No, a katana takes specialized skills to sharpen traditionally. You can keep one sharp without having those skills. It's just not going to be the same as having a master sharpener do it.

The confined spaces consideration is a good one, though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
You have to suspend belief to some extent to enjoy the show at all. 

Not if you've lived/worked in Washington, DC.

Just another day downtown, really.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »

No, a katana takes specialized skills to sharpen traditionally. You can keep one sharp without having those skills. It's just not going to be the same as having a master sharpener do it.

On second thought, if you are only cutting zombies as tought as wicket baskets full of marshmallows and rotten canteloupe, the sword will never dull. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2015, 12:53:21 PM »

I believe sharpening katanas was largely the province of a person known as a sword polisher - a traditional skill almost as demanding as that of a swordsmith. There are reputedly only a handful of these in the USA with a respectable measure of skill.

As for confined spaces . . . that's why they made wakizashis.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
Sword polishers.. can't see finding one of those in TWD land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TRipSqMHU
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
ITT, folks talking about weapons being impractical and decomposition rates in a show about the gorram dead re-animating

That's half the fun of the show!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »
Sword polishers.. can't see finding one of those in TWD land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TRipSqMHU

I thought there were two in the Alexandria compound?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

:O >:D :rofl:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

Polishers, not swallowers.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

Ouch.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »

:rofl:

What's funny is that if the gay guy spends so much time outside the fence, he's actually one of the hardest (don't go there) out of the Alexandria bunch. Most of them are soft from managing to stay inside the walls most of the time.  I'm actually rooting for the gay guy to not get dead.
90 minutes tonight.  I'm all giddy.  Unfortunately, I work 0000-0800.  This means I'll end up streaming it on my laptop in the middle of the night at some point, I usually take a nap from 1900-2300 before work.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
Unfortunately, I work 0000-0800.  This means I'll end up streaming it on my laptop in the middle of the night at some point, I usually take a nap from 1900-2300 before during work.

Well, we'll know what happened when plans start falling out of the sky.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
:rofl:

I'm actually rooting for the gay guy to not get dead.

Yeah, he's actually one of the more likeable characters from the "inside the wall" group. Most of the rest of them remind me of some of the clueless and helpless  commies I used to work with, that would always tell me that if there was a zombie apocolypse, they'd be coming to my house. Or like the people we always talk about here who don't prepare at all for emergencies.

Glenn had it right when he said, 'People like you are supposed to be dead." :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Well, we'll know what happened when plans start falling out of the sky.

Chris

My midshift would have to involve actually working planes for that to happen.  I average 1-2 operations in a 7 hour period most midshifts.  Remember, I'm rotting in a small tower. 
JD

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »
My midshift would have to involve actually working planes for that to happen.  I average 1-2 operations in a 7 hour period most midshifts.  Remember, I'm rotting in a small tower. 

Gonna make sure to come out that way and *expletive deleted*ck with you

"<Jason's tower> Cherokee 123456, requesting FL300
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Gonna make sure to come out that way and *expletive deleted*ck with you

"<Jason's tower> Cherokee 123456, requesting FL300

Best rate through flight level 290, traffic opposite direction at 280....
JD

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
Best rate through flight level 290, traffic opposite direction at 280....
\

Now to find some jets and a suit so i can get a cherokee to FL300 :-D
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

JN01

• friend
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
I recall reading a true account of an eighteenth century OH/KY frontiersman who carried a 15" knife.  He killed an Indian by stabbing him in the head and described it as being like shoving it through a large pumpkin.  Perhaps a rotten walker skull wouldn't be all that tough.