Author Topic: From 2 vehicles to none in 1 hour.  (Read 968 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: From 2 vehicles to none in 1 hour.
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2024, 11:05:24 AM »
AZ, Is the spoke nipple OEM weird or what? Can't you just get a replacement from Buchanans or some other wheel builder?

Aprilia's wheels on the Tuareg are tubeless spoked, with the nipples in the hub and the head of the spoke in the side of the rim.  I'm sure other builders use similar or the same components, but I didn't know where to source one other than the dealer and my immediate google-fu was insufficient to the task.

I happened to luck out and the dealership only took a week to get the parts. 

It may only be commuting to work, but the day is SO MUCH BETTER when I start it on 2 wheels instead of 4.  I loathe traffic so much, and the motorcycle makes it so much less painful.  Add the raw glory of an Arizona morning in April or May, and it's honestly just a great way to wake up.  I missed it quite a bit, and today felt wonderful.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2024, 12:54:19 PM »
If you have an air compressor,  and bleed brakes even semi regularly,  I highly recommend a pneumatic brake bleeder. $50 well spent.

So I bled my brakes this last weekend, using a hand pumped bleeding unit.  Wasn't too bad, but it's be nice to have a more automated solution.

I've been looking at a suggested pneumatic brake bleeder, but I'm confused how they actually work.  How does positive pressure from an air compressor turn into vacuum at the bleeder device?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2024, 01:12:21 PM »
So I bled my brakes this last weekend, using a hand pumped bleeding unit.  Wasn't too bad, but it's be nice to have a more automated solution.

I've been looking at a suggested pneumatic brake bleeder, but I'm confused how they actually work.  How does positive pressure from an air compressor turn into vacuum at the bleeder device?

Venturi effect.

It blows compressed air across a venturi in the top of the large bucket, which creates low pressure inside the sealed bucket, and sucks fluid out the bleeder, down the hose, and into the bucket.  The bucket is big enough you can suck quite a bit of fluid before needing to empty it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2024, 03:21:40 PM »
Venturi effect.

It blows compressed air across a venturi in the top of the large bucket, which creates low pressure inside the sealed bucket, and sucks fluid out the bleeder, down the hose, and into the bucket.  The bucket is big enough you can suck quite a bit of fluid before needing to empty it.

Depends on the unit. Some use a sealing cap and pressurize the fluid reservoir.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2024, 03:42:34 PM »

Brad

Those suck.  Do not get one of those.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2024, 03:59:16 PM »
Those suck.  Do not get one of those.

Sounds like they blow.  The ones you described suck.   :P
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2024, 04:07:22 PM »
Sounds like they blow.  The ones you described suck.   :P

=D =D  Indeed.

The issues with the pressure bleeder, is if they don't work right, you end up with brake fluid everywhere.  A vacuum bleeder, if it doesn't work, it just doesn't pull any fluid.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2024, 04:53:29 PM »

Brad

In my experience those are really good if you want to cover your garage floor in a sheet of brake fluid.

For anything else?

No.

Am I the only one here who's nostalgic for the days when bleeding your brakes took two of your friends, plastic tubing, a mason jar, several bottles of brake fluid, and a case of beer?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2024, 06:29:14 PM »
In my experience those are really good if you want to cover your garage floor in a sheet of brake fluid.

For anything else?

No.

Am I the only one here who's nostalgic for the days when bleeding your brakes took two of your friends, plastic tubing, a mason jar, several bottles of brake fluid, and a case of beer?

That's how I used to do it.  One person pumping the brake on command and the other opening/closing the bleeder valve.
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2024, 06:33:33 PM »

Yes, you are.  =D

I like just hooking the tube up, opening the bleeding screw, turning the air, and scrolling Instagram until I get a solid line of lean fluid, then closing the bleeder.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2024, 11:45:32 AM »
On an old school bike? 10 minutes. Not even enough time for a beer.
On a modern anti lock system? Some seem easy, and some are a nightmare of hoses and pumps and odd fittings. Especially when the pump is the highest point in the system with no bleed point on it.