Author Topic: Am I becoming funny in the head or what?  (Read 2630 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Am I becoming funny in the head or what?
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Last week, I dreamed what time it was while waking up (but not fully awake) only to turn over to look at the clock and find that's exactly what time it was, though it wasn't time to wake up.  Even more strange was that I was fairly certain that was the time before looking.  We have a Tempur-Pedic type mattress that forms to the body and it's quite evident I hadn't turned over to look at the clock previous to looking intentionally.

On Saturday I knew what my wife was going to ask me before she did (asking if I was feeling up to going to a particular restaurant) and then yesterday I was under the assumption that my wife would be working though it was her day off only for her to correct me twice that it was her weekend.  Then she was called in to work.

Now, I have had a cold for the past week that I'm on the tail end of now. I have had to take cold meds (Tylenol multi-symptom). 
I'm sure there's a completely logical explanation for this, but I find it a bit spooky.  With this cold (and very likely something caused by the Tylenol cold meds), on occasion I've had an unsettling sensation as if I'm being watched, always from behind me to the point of getting goose-bumps. 

I'm thinking it has something to do with the diphenhydramine that might be in the cold medication as I used to take generic Benadryl as a sleep aid before switching to Ambien CR.  I remember that when I would take the diphenhydramine, I would have audio hallucinations on occasion and those too would always sound as if they were coming from behind me (such as hearing plain as day someone say behind me "that's stupid" and "you don't know what you're doing" and my favorite "try doing that with a phossy jaw, tough guy", all in voices I didn't recognize).  It would happen about once or twice a week when taking diphenhydramine daily (work 3rd shift) as a sleep aid.   Of course, I found them spooky as well.

I find all this a bit concerning, but it only seems to happen with meds containing diphenhydramine and I'm concerned that stuff is screwing with my head. It all ranks quite high on my WTF meter.
I've taken to checking the ingredients of any cold medication I take to avoid diphenhydramine, but I've got to ask: Has anyone else had strange and difficult to explain things happen when taking meds for a cold?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Am I becoming funny in the head or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »
As someone who frequently knows things before they happen, such as answering the phone before it actually rings, I don't see anything unusual about what you just related. =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »
You already know what my reply will be, so I won't bother typing it  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
I've had all sorts of predictive dreams and premonitions.

I've dreamed the end to a video game I was playing as a kid.  Never seen the end of the game prior to that, but I dreamed it and then played it later that week and it was correct.  I've dreamed about strange houses I've never been in, to find myself in that exact house a month later when I would snowblow the driveway for the new neighbors and get invited in when they paid me.

I've had the creepiest one though:  I'm 100% convinced I'll get my throat slit from behind if I ever walk around the library of my High School campus.  I dreamed it, and it was so real.  I'm not going back there, ever.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
I've had all sorts of predictive dreams and premonitions.

I've dreamed the end to a video game I was playing as a kid.  

Ender's game?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
A disturbance in the Matrix.

If your dream involves pissing in strange places, wake up.

I would take the diphenhydramine, I would have audio hallucinations on occasion and those too would always sound as if they were coming from behind me (such as hearing plain as day someone say behind me "that's stupid" and "you don't know what you're doing" and my favorite "try doing that with a phossy jaw, tough guy", all in voices I didn't recognize). 

I find all this a bit concerning, but it only seems to happen with meds containing diphenhydramine and I'm concerned that stuff is screwing with my head.

Hmm.  I'd be concerned about the voices in the head.  That sounds like whatever you're taking is moving you into an area mostly "enjoyed" by schizophrenics.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
I read this entire thread yesterday, and no one posts anything interesting in it after 4pm EST today.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
I find myself forgetting stuff before I even thought about it. :facepalm:

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
Why be concerned?

If you're suddenly precogging, run with it. At least you'll beat the badguys on the draw, right?

As for the voices: if it doesn't present a physical threat, don't worry too much.

Hell... talk to 'em. At least you'll have some company... >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
I suggest trepanning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
I suggest trepanning.

He needs that like he needs a hole in the head....  :facepalm:

Enjoy the trip....see you on the dark side of the Moon....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
Do you have deja vu?

Do you have deja vu?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I kill or kiss people in my dreams, usually the former. My subconscious self is quite impressive.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 07:43:39 PM »
Burma Shave
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
Why be concerned?

If you're suddenly precogging, run with it. At least you'll beat the badguys on the draw, right?

As for the voices: if it doesn't present a physical threat, don't worry too much.

Hell... talk to 'em. At least you'll have some company... >:D

According to my voices, as long as you are not assigning them different names, you're OK.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:57 PM »
Any good stock picks for next week? 
Seriously though, many chemicals can effect people in strange ways.  Nicotine patches elevate my dreams to a religious, and often sexy,(but tiring) experience. It sounds like you might have a trifecta with a 3rd shift job, multi-symptom OTC cold and allergy meds, and Ambien.  I'm not a professional, but I'd guess you have a minor case of fatigue and chemical psychosis.  Skip the cold meds, drink lots of water, and cut back on the Ambien.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
I haven't had those kind of dreams or reactions to my meds although my dad was very sensitive to certain drugs and hallucinated bad on some anti-depressants!

My scary dreams are when I dream I need to whiz and DO (in the dream). I wake up needing to pee but dry. I keep waiting to dream it and do it!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
Am I becoming funny in the head or what?

You're a member of this forum. Do you even need to ask?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife