Author Topic: Could YOU actually DO IT?  (Read 7389 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Could YOU actually DO IT?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 05:26:01 AM »
The most important question:  Since Congress would probably not agree to abolish the BATFE, who would you appoint to run it?  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 05:28:02 AM »
I would run it.

Acutally would have it rolled up under the DOJ where my Atty General is in charge.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 05:29:59 AM »
See Chris and jfuser's posts. They get what I am asking perfectly.

I'm probably projecting but IMO - not as many people who think they can deal with the stress of making decisions that impact millions of people's lives could actually do it for 8 years let alone 4 and come out sane.

Seems to me that in order to complete a presidency sane or at least not totally depressed you'd have to really, really believe that what you do is for the greater good and that the good consequences outweigh the bad consequences no matter how dire or be so emotionally detached from what you do as to make it not matter at all. Otherwise the emotional strain would/could really mess you up.

If I had to bet I'd guess that few if any presidents fall into the true believer category but instead are just power hungry individuals emotionally detached from the consequences of the decisions they make.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 05:36:16 AM »
Every decision at that high level is going to hurt someone. Doing nothing at all will also hurt someone. I think the key to being able to live with yourself is staying true to what you believe in and making decisions that will go toward the greater good.

Just as an example, eliminating the IRS and moving the nation to a flat tax would hurt a lot of people. The IRS employs thousands of people, who would all lose their jobs. A lot of tax accountants would be out of a job. But it would be a huge benefit to business, freedom, the economy, and society as a whole. How would I live with putting all those people out of work? Knowing that many more jobs were created than lost and that America as a whole is better off would leave me with a clear conscience.

Of course that's all on a theoretical level. Would I really be able to handle the stress of that job? Not in a million years. I would go completely nuts.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »
The most important question:  Since Congress would probably not agree to abolish the BATFE, who would you appoint to run it?  Cheesy

The Gun Control Act of 1968 authorizes the executive to exclude a specific model or make of gun from the NFA entirely. Just write out an EO and staple a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values to the back.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »

I'm probably projecting but IMO - not as many people who think they can deal with the stress of making decisions that impact millions of people's lives could actually do it for 8 years let alone 4 and come out sane.

Seems to me that in order to complete a presidency sane or at least not totally depressed you'd have to really, really believe that what you do is for the greater good and that the good consequences outweigh the bad consequences no matter how dire or be so emotionally detached from what you do as to make it not matter at all. Otherwise the emotional strain would/could really mess you up.

If I had to bet I'd guess that few if any presidents fall into the true believer category but instead are just power hungry individuals emotionally detached from the consequences of the decisions they make.

I think I could. But then I'm an emotionally detached, heartless bastard. And since the main result of my Presidency would be revocation of a lot of years of evil I think I'd be ok.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »

I agree with you on that.  I may think I could do the job, but I doubt I would want to for any length of time.  If they can't find someone better qualified than me, they aren't looking.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
Actually, I think we should just have a lottery and pick a name out of the hat for president.  It would save a lot of trouble and I don't think we could come up with any worse result than the present system.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Mr. William F. Buckley probably had the best idea.  "I'd rather be governed by the first 200 people in the Boston phone book than the faculty of Harvard."

As to the original post.  Personally, I'd do the job.  The decision making required has to do with one's ability to believe in and abide by the Constitution.  My decisions would be governed by that document.  In so doing my conscience would be clear.  Though at times my heart might be heavy, there is honor in seeing to it that our union was sustained and nurtured by that document and those who love what it ordains. 

As for the sacrifices that might be required?  Well, in the pursuit of adherence to our guiding principals those sacrifices would be noble and I would see to it that a grateful nation would pay whatever price needed to be paid in order that  those sacrifices were not in vain.  First to those who have sacrificed and to their families.  Everything else comes after that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

The Gun Control Act of 1968 authorizes the executive to exclude a specific model or make of gun from the NFA entirely. Just write out an EO and staple a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values to the back.

That's brilliant!

I think I need a tissue, I got something in my eye...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »
The whole problem as I see it, is that anybody who wants to be President is a power-hungry control freak and therefore neither qualified nor appropriate for the job Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

doc2rn

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
That is too easy. Of course and the first two things I would do are:
1) Repeal NAFTA
2) Mandate that all cars be Flex or Alternate fuel vehicles within 3 yrs.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 06:36:05 AM »
1) Repeal NAFTA

Under what authority?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
1) Repeal NAFTA

Under what authority?
Exactly!

The president doesn't have near as much power as people believe. His main job is to enforce the law and put the brakes on congress with his veto power. He can influence all he wants and some of them are quite effective at it but still that's just influence.

Unfortunately the illiterate boobs in the MSM have transferred their take on the presidents power to the illiterate masses and convince them the president can just about do what ever he wants. Cult of personality is the way of things in the USA today.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
I'd do as little as possible. I'd call on Congress to repeal gun control and introduce some kind of "Second Amendment Revitalization Act", I'd remove the F from BATF somehow, and maybe appoint a secretary to the job of promoting gun ownership, then I'd round up the surviving Apollo astronauts and demand they regale me with stories.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 12:17:11 AM »
The president doesn't have near as much power as people believe. His main job is to enforce the law and put the brakes on congress with his veto power. He can influence all he wants and some of them are quite effective at it but still that's just influence.

Well TBH, the President can throw a giant wrench into the works through his control of the Federal Agencies.

The President, under current law, can:

1. Declare a given substance to be, or not to be, a drug - so he could legalize marijuana at executive fiat.

2. Remove weapons from the NFA's purview, so he can end gun control in America in a sweep of his pen.

3. Pardon people by the thousand.

4. Veto. Veto. Veto.

5. Similar to 1 and 2 with other regulatory agencies.