Author Topic: Colt steps in. Lets hope they draw their own line in the sand  (Read 5015 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Colt has finally entered the gun control arena. I hope they follow the example of other companies.

http://politics.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=23888&content=90733114&pageNum=-1
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Colt steps in. Lets hope they draw their own line in the sand
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »
Stand by for the peanut gallery all over the interwebs to say they "aren't doing enough" like they did with magpul.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
Sweet!

Lets face it, unless the big boys that get 99% of the contracts step up, all the little guys combined doing so aint going to mean a damned thing.

Now if Colt, S&W, and Glock were to do so someone just might take a pause, allbeit probably a brief one. Probably just long enough for them to type up some legislation to nationalize something. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
Stand by for the peanut gallery all over the interwebs to say they "aren't doing enough" like they did with magpul.

The fact that Colt did anything at all has exceeded all of my expectations already.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
The fact that Colt did anything at all has exceeded all of my expectations already.

Heh, yup. From what I read though, I'm pretty impressed with how they stepped up. Let's hope they hold the line.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
Good to see Colt isn't as deaf as they make out to be.

It's a start.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
The linked article mentions that there are postings urging Colt's to stop supplying police etc. in New York.

GOOD.

I understand a major manufacturer's reluctance to immediately cut off a customer, so the "employee action" they facilitated is a good initial step. But we'll all be watching to see if they (AND S&W, AND Glock, AND Ruger, AND Federal, AND Speer, etc.) step up and cut support to the bad guys like many smaller companies are doing, or fold up and continue government business as usual if the easy way doesn't work.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
While it would be strangely satisfying to drive by a vacant lot on 91 where Colt used to stand, just as a middle finger to Connecticut's shortsightedness, I hope these efforts are fruitful.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
Colt already can't sell their AR-15 in CT.  I agree that they should not sell to NY and their is pressure being applied to do just that.

I would like to see Colt move to FL and open a larger facility in FL or any other free state.  They have not "threatened" CT yet.  But it is a business decision.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
Colt already can't sell their AR-15 in CT.  I agree that they should not sell to NY and their is pressure being applied to do just that.

I would like to see Colt move to FL and open a larger facility in FL or any other free state.  They have not "threatened" CT yet.  But it is a business decision.

I would think that just the tax/living expense/prevailing wage difference most places in the South would pay for the move.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
I would think that just the tax/living expense/prevailing wage difference most places in the South would pay for the move.  =|

I think there's a gun manufacturing labor force legacy of sorts in the CT/MA/NH/NY area that Kahr, Kel-Tec, Sig, S&W, Colt, Ruger and others enjoy making use of.  A great big multigenerational brain-trust of gun manufacturing skill that they are loathe to give up on, maybe with a bit of loyalty to the history of manufacturing innovation and revolutionaryism.  At this point I'd call that loyalty misplaced, though.

It would tickle me to no end if all those companies just picked up and moved west of the Mississippi River.  UT, NV, AZ, NM, ID, MT, WY.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
So offer the labor force a relocation option to come with them. I'm betting with a little assistance more than a few of them would be happy to move to free states. I know if I was working and living behind enemy lines for one of the big boys and they said they were moving and offered me some cash to come along I'd sign up in a heart beat.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
Frankly, dual-siting to a right to work State would do a lot for these companies:

1. Their union workforces would see the writing on the wall and make efforts to be more patient with demands on the employer.
2. The State governments would have less leverage over the business profitability since relocation out of 1 State would only involve a 50% shutdown rather than a 100% shutdown.... and could probably be phased in a way that no more than a 25% loss in output was ever manifested.
3. The potential to relocate out of 1 State is easier since you end up developing two separate sets of skilled labor, rather than just one.

Colt's Manufacturing:  Santa Fe, NM.

Who wouldn't want that rollmark?   :laugh:
--Lysander Spooner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »
That all sounds fun and good, but keep in mind that their current buildings and land were paid off many, many, many years ago.  Mortgage/Rent is not hitting their bottom lines.   And it's not as easy to sell (try damn near impossible) industrial (especially a site that will require an EPA clean-up) to pack up and move.   Then you have to move machine tools and industrial equipment.  You can't just run down to U-Haul and get a box truck, throw the wife and kids in the front and head off into the sunset.

Plus trying to maintain production (you actually have to build ahead and have finished goods inventory laid in while your dissembling your factory, moving it cross country and the re-assemble it.  The fun part is actually getting everything to work again.)  When we moved B-way from Kilbourn and Cermak to 31st and Central we had purchased Central Can Co.  Even running their machines flat out 24/7 in three shifts, we still had to have 8 months of Finished Goods Inventory while we moved 400+ truckloads of industrial equipment.   And we ran out of stuff there near the end.  The cupboard was quite bare.

And it wasn't cheap.  If there hadn't been the vacant lot next door where we built the warehouse additional, we'd still be in two separate hundred+ year old plants.   

Budget for the move was $45 million.   And we went about a million over. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
That all sounds fun and good, but keep in mind that their current buildings and land were paid off many, many, many years ago.  Mortgage/Rent is not hitting their bottom lines.   And it's not as easy to sell (try damn near impossible) industrial (especially a site that will require an EPA clean-up) to pack up and move.   Then you have to move machine tools and industrial equipment.  You can't just run down to U-Haul and get a box truck, throw the wife and kids in the front and head off into the sunset.

Plus trying to maintain production (you actually have to build ahead and have finished goods inventory laid in while your dissembling your factory, moving it cross country and the re-assemble it.  The fun part is actually getting everything to work again.)  When we moved B-way from Kilbourn and Cermak to 31st and Central we had purchased Central Can Co.  Even running their machines flat out 24/7 in three shifts, we still had to have 8 months of Finished Goods Inventory while we moved 400+ truckloads of industrial equipment.   And we ran out of stuff there near the end.  The cupboard was quite bare.

And it wasn't cheap.  If there hadn't been the vacant lot next door where we built the warehouse additional, we'd still be in two separate hundred+ year old plants.   

^All of that^

Most of our production site got moved to eastern europe last year.
There's quite a bit of good speculation why our site is still open:
1. The few processes we still do at our are difficult and are more careful craftsmanship than anything that could be automated and the handful of us that do what we do are the best in the world. This is akin to worker at Colt or S&W that does the final stoning/fitting of trigger/sears in their custom shops- expensive but nigh impossible to replace in a short period of time.
2. The site itself- old building, paid for many times over, possible superfund site, grandfathered in on a lot of environmental regulations that are looser than even eastern europe, and its rumored that the corporation may have paid a lot more for our site than its worth.

Moving most of our processes to E.Europe was not smooth, and this was factoring in our employees were very dedicated (and well paid) to transfer the technology and build up a year's worth of inventory. There were other European sites in our corporation that were moved to the new site as well, with less cooperation, those moves were a disaster.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »

Yup, mine too. I figured they'd be the first to capitulate to the Obama regime.

I remember during the 90s they really wanted to be nothing more than the defacto govt arsenal. They couldn't have given a crap less about a consumer market as long as tehy were getting govt contracts. They even bent over for the Klintoon and started manufacturing ARs with non-standard parts sizes.

Colt's actions today make them gladiators of gun-rights defense compared to what they were 20 years ago.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Budget for the move was $45 million.   And we went about a million over. 

Stalin threw steel mills on trains, as well as all sorts of other smaller stuff like tractor factories and the like.  I hear that Mao, who had no trains, put rollers under stuff and had hordes drag it halfway across China to where other hordes put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Admittedly Colt and Remington and others do not have the same motivation to just yank it out by the roots and replant elsewhere.  But ....

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
^^^ No one is arguing that brutal repressive dictatorships offer some operational efficiencies that are hard to replicate in a constitutional republic.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
. . . When we moved B-way from Kilbourn and Cermak to 31st and Central we had purchased Central Can Co. . . .
Both sound like Chicago area locations . . . not terribly far apart, either.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
Both sound like Chicago area locations . . . not terribly far apart, either.

Yep, a little over two miles.  It was a total Fluster Cluck.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Poper

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
"I understand a major manufacturer's reluctance to immediately cut off a customer"

They might be legally liable for Breach of Contract.  I would not blame them for not wanting to wade into those waters.

However, they could refuse to enter into future agreements.

Poper

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
They might be legally liable for Breach of Contract.  I would not blame them for not wanting to wade into those waters.

However, they could refuse to enter into future agreements.
Quite correct - existing contracts would have to be honored. But they could certainly refuse to sign additional contracts.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.