Author Topic: Bloomberg's drink-ban thrown out  (Read 4743 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Bloomberg's drink-ban thrown out
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/judge-throws-nyc-ban-large-sugary-drinks-193247946--politics.html

So, the Emperor...I mean Mayor...of New York finds out that his power has limits, and he cannot ban big size sweet drinks because he says so.

Long story short, Judge ruled that the measure is arbitrary and capricious, and that it was improperly enacted (by mandate of the Mayor and Health Department as opposed to by vote of city council).

Given his ego, and his apparent desire to rule the world, starting with NYC, how long until he orders this judge investigatr/removed from office?   :lol:

Sorry, it's just fun to see a tyrant lose...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Bloomberg's drink-ban thrown out
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Awwwwww....poor Bloomberg...who's a sad panda now?
Hi.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
"Arbitrary and capricious":  that's Bloomberg all right.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
I'll be interested to see some of the fallout on this. I saw that some restaurants were refusing to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars to switch their glassware and cups in hopes of this failing, while others had already not only bought new glassware, but I also saw where some popular bowling alley there had so embraced Bloomberg's idea that they were switching to stuff like carrot juice instead of soda.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
I'll be interested to see some of the fallout on this. I saw that some restaurants were refusing to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars to switch their glassware and cups in hopes of this failing, while others had already not only bought new glassware, but I also saw where some popular bowling alley there had so embraced Bloomberg's idea that they were switching to stuff like carrot juice instead of soda.

The free market should take care of instances like the bowling alley, but I wonder if the businesses who bought a bunch of stuff in anticipation of the rule going into affect can sue the city...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Bloomberg loses another round - soda ban a no-go
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/11/us-sodaban-lawsuit-idUSBRE92A0YR20130311

(Reuters) - New York City's plan to ban large sugary drinks from restaurants, movie theaters and other establishments was invalidated by a judge on Monday, the day before the new law was to take effect.
State Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling in Manhattan called the regulation "arbitrary and capricious" and declared it invalid after the American Beverage Association and other business groups had sued the city challenging the ban.

This ought to keep out of Poly-tics because all the comments will be just making fun of Mikey.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Bloomberg loses another round - soda ban a no-go
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Good way to start the week. 

If Magpul manages to beat CO,  it'll be one for the books.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
Reading some of the comments from the judge in the ruling, Bloomberg not only lost, he got the legal equivalent of a bitch-slap
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
We can hope to see some of the new arbitrary and capricious gun laws struck down as well.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
Why do you guys hate the chubby little children?

Just sayin'.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
Merged.
Andy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:14 AM »
From my icy cold, somewhat damp, and pudgy dead hands!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
To keep with the political/legal aspect of the forum, do we think he even realizes that helokks the fool for this?  What business is it of .gov if I drink a 20oz Pepsi with my lunch?

AND a thought crossed my mind when I heard him and some other talking heads bemoaning obesity problems...how long until Bloomberg or another of his kind proposes a tax based on weight or BMI?  Cut right to the heart of the issue? Drop the weight or pay for it...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
To keep with the political/legal aspect of the forum, do we think he even realizes that helokks the fool for this?  What business is it of .gov if I drink a 20oz Pepsi with my lunch?

AND a thought crossed my mind when I heard him and some other talking heads bemoaning obesity problems...how long until Bloomberg or another of his kind proposes a tax based on weight or BMI?  Cut right to the heart of the issue? Drop the weight or pay for it...

I think it is far more likely that health insurers will start to levy a premium surcharge for BMI or smoking, or put higher deductibles or co-pays in place.  You can argue that it is already happening, with some plans giving employees reductions in the premium cost if they do not smoke and get their cholesterol and blood pressure checked once per year.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
IIRC, the Big Gulp Ban doesn't apply to diet sodas. I'd wondered what prevented someone from filling up a BG cup with regular soda & telling the cashier that it was diet. And who enforces compliance? Would NYPD change their policy to Stop/Frisk/Sip?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
I think it is far more likely that health insurers will start to levy a premium surcharge for BMI or smoking, or put higher deductibles or co-pays in place.  You can argue that it is already happening, with some plans giving employees reductions in the premium cost if they do not smoke and get their cholesterol and blood pressure checked once per year.

We have that at work right now.  The company pays your monthly premium.  If you want that to continue then you have to have health screening once a year and be in a predetermined point range (0 to -20) and you are good.  If you smoke you get major points against you, this has forced a couple of people to quit smoking.  If you are above the range you are given a year with active health coaching to get your points back down below 0, if not then your are paying.  If you don't submit to the health screening then you are paying the monthly Cobra amount if you want the company's insurance.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
We have that at work right now.  The company pays your monthly premium.  If you want that to continue then you have to have health screening once a year and be in a predetermined point range (0 to -20) and you are good.  If you smoke you get major points against you, this has forced a couple of people to quit smoking.  If you are above the range you are given a year with active health coaching to get your points back down below 0, if not then your are paying.  If you don't submit to the health screening then you are paying the monthly Cobra amount if you want the company's insurance.

I refuse to go to a doctor unless I am severly injured.  I haven't been to a doctor for being "sick" for at least 15 years.

Neither do I have insurance.  The thing we most worry about Obamacare is being forced to get routine checkups/tests.  What are they going to do - send SWAT to take you in for prostrate exam or mammogram ?  :facepalm:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
Prostate?

Probe on a drone.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »

and they're not even wrote in with an amendment..........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

Wow, I can quote my own post for this announcement from CVS:

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/03/20/17387406-cvs-to-workers-tell-us-how-much-you-weigh-or-itll-cost-you-600-a-year?lite

Not an incentive, but an actual penalty/premium surcharge.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:43 AM »
I hope the BMI index excludes us low fat higher than average muscle types.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »
I hope the BMI index excludes us low fat higher than average muscle types.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The bean counters run the show. Reality counts for nothing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
On my plan, it just costs a flat $30/mo extra if you say you are a smoker. Personally, i don't have a problem with insurers charging more based on behavior, but $30/ mo sounds radically high considering the actual health impact of smoking, which is undeniable, but not overwhelmingly bad compared to other behavior factors. It makes me think the company is soaking smoker as a profit center, purely because they feel they can get away with it based on the unpopularity and current image of smoking.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

Then I expect similar penalties for alcoholism, homosexual behavior, (currently) illegal drug use and the like.  All those who engage in that behavior are significantly more at risk for health complications due to that behavior, just as smokers and fatties are.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton