Author Topic: Are we allowed to post jokes here?  (Read 10959 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Are we allowed to post jokes here?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »

Quote from:  Headless Thompson Gunner

Hrrmph.  I want jokes that are beyond the pale.

Although, around here, we've seen jokes that are positively albino....

Pale has nothing to do with color or lack thereof.

The word Pale derives ultimately from the Latin word palus, meaning stake. From this came the figurative meaning of boundary and eventually the phrase "beyond the pale", as something outside the boundary.

The best known Pale, was the part of Ireland that was directly under the control of the English government in the late Middle Ages.  Anything beyond that area was "Beyond the Pale" and therefore not  "civilized".    In addition, the term "Pale of Settlement" was applied to the area in the west of Imperial Russia where Jews were permitted to reside.

Thus endeth today's etymology lesson. 

=D :police: :angel:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »

Pale has nothing to do with color or lack thereof.

Thus endeth today's etymology lesson. 

=D :police: :angel:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Got any good jokes, inside the stake or outside?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:12:49 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:07 AM »
Zardoz and the Hoff aren't offensive. But they probably are too much of an inside joke to be springing on people in their intro thread. I think mentioning them, and letting the newb search to see what's up is a good compromise.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »
Best guide would place a joke somewhere between too racy for pre-school.....but not racy enough for AR15.com......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 08:53:26 AM »
I was out once looking for a place to hunt with my Uncle Bob.

As we were driving down a dirt road out in farm country, we spied a couple of nice buck deer along one of the windbreaks. So I told Uncle Bob that I was going to go up to the farmhouse and ask permission to hunt.

Uncle Bob told me I was wasting my time, but I figured, what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So I knocked on the door, and a crusty old farmer answered. I politely asked him if my Uncle Bob and I might have permission to hunt his land.

He gave me a squinty eyed look - I could see the wheels turning as if he was deciding what cuss words to use as he told me to git  - so I braced myself.

Much to my surprise, he said sure, I could hunt there . . . if I'd do him a favor. It seemed that his old nag of a horse was lame and had a lot of other horse ailments, and needed to be put down . . . but the vet was on vacation, the farmer didn't have the heart to do it himself, and if I could just put a bullet right between Ol' Dobbin's eyes, he'd be much obliged and Uncle Bob and I could hunt all season.

I'm no horse killer, but - remembering the bucks I'd seen - I agreed.

Well, I went back to our pickup and there's Uncle Bob, laughing his fool head off. "See, Nephew, I told you we were wasting our time!"

I figured I'd have some fun - so I got my deer rifle out, mutting "Cuss ME out will he? I'll fix that old coot!"

Uncle Bob, with a worried look on his face, said "Hey, wait a minute, you can't shoot a man just because he cussed you out!"

"No, Uncle Bob, but I can shoot his horse, that's for sure."

So I took my time setting up across the hood, while Uncle Bob was rummaging around in back. Drew a bead on Ol' Dobbin . . . and nailed him right between the eyes.

Before I could turn around, I heard BANG! BANG! from in back of me - there's Uncle Bob, throwing HIS smoking rifle in back, saying "And I got two of that old coot's cows! Let's get the h*** out of here!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
TRUCKER AND BLONDE
OK, so there's this blonde driving down the road in her
Brand new, candy-apple red, $125,000 Lamborghini. She's
Cruisin about 95, radio blaring, having a great time. She
Comes up on this trucker who is carrying a double-wide home
And is taking up both lanes. To her disliking, he is only
Going about 45. To get the point across that she wants to get
Past, she decides to tailgate him. So, she gets to within a
Foot of his rear bumper. The trucker looks back and sees her
On his ass, and motions for her to get off of it, but to her
It looks like a wave and she waves back. Since her first
Attempt was futile, she decided to get a little closer and
Begin flashing her headlights, hopefully making herself more
Visible in the process. Once again the trucker sees her on
His ass, and this time motions for her to pull over to the
Side of the road.

The trucker steps out of hisVehicle with a chunk of chalk and draws a circle three feet
In diameter in the middle of the road. He instructs her notTo move until he tells her to. Naive as she was, she agrees to it and steps inside it.

The trucker goes back to
His truck and pulls out a 50-ounce Louisville Slugger. He
Walks over to the Lamborghini and beats it, and beats it, and
Beats it again. When he is done, all that is left is a brand
New, candy-apple red, $125,000 pile of metal. Satisfied, he
Throws the bat in his truck and walks over to the blonde.
When he gets there, to his astonishment, she is rolling
Around on the street laughing hysterically. He asks her, "Why
Are you laughing? I just beat the crap out of your car!!" She
Is laughing too hard to respond, but between giggles he can
Make out, "While you weren't looking I stepped out of the
Circle!"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
As long as they are about white guys, otherwise they won't be PC......chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
You mean it's okay to tell jokes about mick's, limey's and greaseballs? ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
Hrrmph.  I want jokes that are beyond the pale.

Before committing, I want to know what and where the pale is ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
Before committing, I want to know what and where the pale is ...

So does this guy...

Oh, you said p-a-l-e.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

seeker_two

• friend
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »
That cow standing over the pail has her head beyond the pale.

That's pretty deep, Seeker.  :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:16 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
That cow standing over the pail has her head beyond the pale.

That's pretty deep, Seeker.  :lol:

If you think that's deep, you should see the rest of the barn.....   :laugh:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »
A fisherman is sitting in his boat when he feels a tug on his line.  He gives the pole a yank, setting the hook, and proceeds to reel in a rather large fish.  As he's scooping it into his net the fish props itself up on its fins, smiles at the fisherman, and says, "Hi, my name's Rusty.  You know, I've lived in these waters for quite a few years and seen and done quite a few things.  However, there are still a lot of things I'd like to see and do.  If you could find it in your heart to release me so I that I can do these things, I'd be eternally grateful."

The man is taken aback.  Not only has he snagged a large fish, but it talks, and is polite.  He's struck by a moment of generosity, and releases the fish, who swiftly swims away.

Years pass.

Once again, the fisherman is in his boat and feels a tug on the line.  He yanks the pole, sets the hook, and reels in a rather large (and familiar looking!) fish.  As he scoops it into his net, the fish begins to speak, "Hi, My name's Rusty..."

The man stops the fish mid-sentence.  "You might not remember me, but we met several years ago," he says to the fish.  "I let you go then but I'm not about to fall for your pitch again.  Tell me what you've seen and done.  Convince me that I should let you go again."

The fish replied, "Well, when you set me free those many years ago, I was so relieved that I swam for miles and miles.  I went to the ocean and explored as much as I was able.  I saw wondrous sights and mournful ones.  In fact, at one point in a cold, cold region, I swam deep and found a magnificent luxury ship that had sunk years before.  I swam through its ballrooms and suites.  I examined the craftsmanship of it and the art that hung from it's walls.  I was so moved, that I actually wrote a book about the experience."

"Sure ya did," said the fisherman.  "You're just trying to con me."

"No, really," replied the fish.  "I did write a book.  You may have heard of it:  The Titanic Verses - by Salmon Rusty."

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
Jesus, Moses, and an elderly man are out golfing one day.  They come upon a short par 3 hole with a horrible water hazard sitting just a bit back from the green.

Moses tees up, hits the ball, and sees it's headed right for the water.  He drops his clubs, holds in hands up in the air and the water parts.  The ball hits, rolls up out of the water hazard and just makes it onto the green.  He lowers his hands and the water returns to its original resting place.

Jesus tees up, hits the ball, and it too is headed right for the water.  The ball hits the water and just skips across the top of it landing a few feet from the hole.

The old man tees up, hits the ball and it drops just short of the water.  Just then a frog pops out, grabs the ball, and returns to the water.  A pelican then swoops down, snags the frog, circles the hole, drops the frog, and the ball pops out of the frog's mouth and into the hole.

Moses punches Jesus on the shoulder and says, "You really got quit bringing your dad to golf!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
Doggy Daddy - That's the kind of joke I enjoy.

GigaBuist - Old one, but still pretty good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
A Texan, a Californian, and Oregonian are out riding horses. The Texan pulls out an expensive bottle of whiskey, takes a long draught, then another and suddenly throws it into the air, pulls out his gun and shoots the bottle in midair.

The Californian looks at him and says, “What are you doing? That was a perfectly good bottle of whiskey!”

The Texan says, “In Texas, there is plenty of whiskey and the bottles are cheap.”

A while later, not wanting to be outdone, the Californian pulls out a bottle of champagne, takes a few sips, throws the champagne into the air, pulls out his gun and shoots it in midair.

The Oregonian can’t believe his eyes, “What the heck did you do that for? That was a perfectly good bottle of champagne!”

The Californian says, “In California, we have plenty of champagne and bottles are cheap.”

So, awhile later, the Oregonian pulls out a bottle of Widmer Hefeweizen. He opens it, takes a sip, and then chugs the whole bottle. He then puts the bottle in his saddlebag, pulls out his gun, and shoots the Californian.

The Texan, shocked, says, “Why the hell did you do that?!”

The Oregonian replies, “In Oregon, we have plenty of Californians and the bottles are worth a nickel.”
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 12:32:15 AM »
Regolith, that one has got me laughing so damn hard...  Great joke.   And being an Oregonian with a native's dislike for (most, but not all) Californians, and a real liking for Widmer Hefeweizen, I can certainly appreciate it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
Regolith, that one has got me laughing so damn hard...  Great joke.   And being an Oregonian with a native's dislike for (most, but not all) Californians, and a real liking for Widmer Hefeweizen, I can certainly appreciate it.

=D

I'm not a native, but both my parents were (and my grandparents, and my great grandparents...back oh, about 6 or 7 generations).  The only reason I was born in Nevada and not Oregon was because my dad got a good job offer out there.  Both of my siblings and I came back to go to college in Oregon, and my parents plan on moving back after they retire in the next year or two.

My father to this day hates going into California for any reason.  :lol:

His dislike for the state probably wasn't helped any when he got stationed in (I believe) San Francisco after being drafted into the Navy during Vietnam...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »
=D

I'm not a native, but both my parents were (and my grandparents, and my great grandparents...back oh, about 6 or 7 generations).  The only reason I was born in Nevada and not Oregon was because my dad got a good job offer out there.  Both of my siblings and I came back to go to college in Oregon, and my parents plan on moving back after they retire in the next year or two.

My father to this day hates going into California for any reason.  :lol:

His dislike for the state probably wasn't helped any when he got stationed in (I believe) San Francisco after being drafted into the Navy during Vietnam...

That darn near makes you a native.   :laugh:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.