Author Topic: Smart Phone. Finally.  (Read 1884 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Smart Phone. Finally.
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
Last week I lost my Nokkia soapbar.  It's been nice and quiet, but I need to get a new phone. 
A smartphone, because the 21st century is 12 years old.
Verizon is the new service provider, based on my coverage needs. 

Do I go Android or Apple? - (Blackberry is way out)

I'm leaning toward the Iphone.   =|
It's a big pitcher of Kool-Aid, but my social life needs a jump, and all the cool kids have Apple crap.

Give a few good practical reasons to go Android, or a few good reasons to drink the Apple Kool-Aid.
(I'm a "power user" - not a programmer, on MS since MS DOS, and have no fear or problems running Apple crap.)
OS "comfort" is not an issue.

Do Androids really crash more often?  Are they more susceptible to viruses?
And how much memory do I need?  Prices look best at 16G or less.

I'll be using it as a phone,  3-8 emails a day, 5-10 texts per week, storing a few photos, maybe some music, file transfer from work to home -web surfing the youtubes, weather and fishing reports.

I'm not a gamer, not planning on running AutoCAD or Photoshpo on it.
Some days I'll not even make or receive a call.

What are your opinions.

7-11 was a part time job.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Smart Phone. Finally.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
Personally, I like my HTC Evo 3D running Android.

I like it being more open source, and it integrates well with my other Google stuff (mail, calender, etc.). I don;t use any other Apple services regularly so nothing gained by using an Apple product. I played with an iPhone when shopping in the Sprint store and just overall preferred the HTC with Android.

As for crashing, it's never crashed on me. I've had a few apps that do it but that isn't Androids fault.

Viruses? Never had one. I do have Avast on it, but never had a problem that makes me feel it's needed.

16gb is a good bit of memory. But depending how much music you have, what sort of and how many apps you have, it can indeed fill up. The iPhone not taking SD was a factor for me, since if I need more space I need a new phone. With my HTC if I need more storage I just need a new SD card and moving my files over to it.

And I may or not be right but IIRC iPhone doesn't do flash. Android with the right browser does.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:23:40 PM by lupinus »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
I absolutely love my HTC Arrive running Windows Phone 7.5. 

Of course, there are only about 60K apps available for this platform, compared to Androids or iProducts.

The little doober is fast and smooth, though.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
I have a berry, while my coworkers have iPhones.  I'm waiting for v5, rumored for June.  I think iPhones are a bit spendy v the Androids, but I'm being slowly assimilated.  2 iPads and a MacBook Pro so far.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »
The open-source nature of Android means there's more ways to do stuff your carrier doesn't want you doing.

By that I don't mean subverting their services, but stuff like ridding yourself of the shovelware that they load on there that tries to force you into burning up airtime, or funneling you towards certain for-pay services, or preventing you from using free WiFi or over-internet alternatives.

You can also get and install apps right from the web or Internet, if there's something you want, but even Google doesn't want you to have and won't allow it on the Android Market.

And compared to even just the Android Market, not counting the whole web, the Apple App Store is like North Korea.

I've rooted my phone and installed Cyanogenmod 7 Android open source OS on my HTC Evo, and have been running that for over a year now, and I like it a lot.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
Why not Blackberry?....my Torch has been hell for stout in durability and user-friendliness....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
I'm happy with my iphone.  Some real cool apps out there.  I actually downloaded one that gives me all the federal fisheries regulations so I can quick reference them offshore so I don't get jammed up the poop chute by the feds for hauling home the wrong fish.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
Had a blackberry that I used for calls and text. Just got an iPhone and love it. Too much maybe. My kids yell at me now for spending time on it...like right now.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
Why not Blackberry?....my Torch has been hell for stout in durability and user-friendliness....

(gigglesnort)
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
I have been wondering about smartphones too, lately. What about Nokia offerings? Are they any good?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
My daughter had an HTC "Incredible" (Android) smartphone that was an absolute disaster. Dropped calls, lost messages, bombed out on apps ... anything and everything that could be negative about a smart phone, she had it. The manager at the Verizon storefront where we got it basically said "Tough [bleep]. You bought it -- it's yours."

So I wrote to the president of Verizon, and they replaced it with a Blackberry that has been a significant improvement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
Any of the Verizon inmates used their Casio gZone Commando phone?  I'm looking at getting that a first smartphone, unless they release the gShock phone before I get around to it.  Supposedly waterproof to 1m, shockproof, etc.  Thought that would be a good choice for while I'm out hunting and fishing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:43:44 PM by sumpnz »
Formerly sumpnz

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »
(gigglesnort)

Put up or shut up, you Apple iHipster.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:48 AM »
At work, my policy as senior IT pointy haired boss is, you can have an iPhone and/or iPad if you buy it.  I will install corp email if your supervisor approves.  No tech support included.  None.  Take it to the genius bar.  Running 130 mobile cell devices, I will say that in an enterprise environment, no Apple product has functionality that justifies the extreme cost.  Now, that applies to the current company, needs do vary.

I intend on implementing stricker policy when I get a good centralized mobile device management solution. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »
Put up or shut up, you Apple iHipster.....

=D

Look above, I'm running hacked Android, I own no berets, ascots, striped mime/Picasso shirts, or one of those skinny cigarette holder things.
I promise not to duck.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 05:09:24 AM »
I don't have a smart phone.  I am probably not smart enough to use it anyway.  Besides, my old eyes can't read that itty bitty screen anyway.....chris3

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »
Look above, I'm running hacked Android, I own no berets, ascots, striped mime/Picasso shirts, or one of those skinny cigarette holder things.

....he said as he wore his black turtleneck and sipped on his latte.... ;)

What do you not like about the Blackberry? I'm curious.....

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
I will offer my answer, Seeker, and has to do with my company's policy regarding Berry.  No downloaded apps, period.  Very few apps available, afaik, but that may be due to the first reason.  Horrible browser.  Little or no support for location services.  My company requires a locked keyboard after "x" minutes (I disrememer the interval, too short anyway), which means having to thum in a password about any time you reach for it.  Grand kid doing something cute?  No pic for you!  By the time I get it unlocked, the moment has invariably passed.  Teeny-tiny qwerty keyboard, big thumbs.  Gah!  I'm whipping myself into a frenzy, just thinking about it.  I am trying to hold off until the iPhone 5, rumored to available in June, which will provide 4g.  It's tough...  Got an iPad, and love it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, I LOVE my iPhone 4s! Took a bit to figger out and learn but once I got it downm I have been REAL happy with it and lusting after an iPad!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
Hutch: Sounds more like bad company policy than bad phone. Mine is privately owned (AT&T), and all the things that you mentioned as faults aren't present on mine. The camera is better than my own digital camera. The app store is more limited, but the app quality is better....my Weather Channel and Google Maps apps are leaps & bounds better than the ones on my wife's iPhone. The Torch's slide-out keyboard is easy to use....even with my ham-fingers. And video & audio playback is awesome. I even prefer the Blackberry browser over the Android-powered one on my Kindle Fire....

....and the 4G Torch should already be in AT&T stores now....  :cool:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
Lemme get an opinion or 10 here...

And to Tuco, I considered starting another thread with this, then thought that there was enough overlap in our questions that it might be appropriate to keep my question here.  If you disagree, I apologize.

My current phone is NOT a smart one (LG Env Touch).  My Verizon contract is up in June.  I'm not really comfortable with committing to another 2 years of Verizon to get a smart phone and pay Verizon type fees when I anticipate quite a bit of change in the cell phone universe over that time period.  Frankly, I could easily get by with a really dumb phone that just makes calls and does text messaging.  A camera would be nice, as would a calendar.  In fact, I doubt I could find a phone with no calendar or camera.  But, I would also hate to be locked in to a phone that simple for 2 years.  So, I was considering going with a simple no-contract phone until I feel like either "taking the plunge" into smartphoneland or just deciding to stay dumb and sign up to a recurring dumb phone contract.

Then I talked to a couple of people that have Cricket smart phones.  No contract, unlimited data, text, calls, etc... they both report good coverage all over town here and in L.A.  The monthly cost for 2 phones for me and my wife would actually be about $15 LESS for those smart phones than I'm paying to Verizon now for the to LGs.  I figger I could go with that until I feel like the cell world has stabilized a bit and then go for one of the more mainstream/cool providers and phones.  

For MY situation, does anyone see any notable drawbacks that I might have missed?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
^^^ Not really.  I have a no-contract Android smartphone with Virgin Mobile.  I pay $ 27.20 (tax included) per month.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »
^^^ Not really.  I have a no-contract Android smartphone with Virgin Mobile.  I pay $ 27.20 (tax included) per month.

What services/options do you get for that?
Andy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
What services/options do you get for that?

The minimum rate is now $ 35/month.  I am grandfathered under the old plan.  I get 300 minutes, and unlimited email, text and data.  Although the unlimited data gets throttled back to 256 kbps after you use 2.5 GB in a month.  Normal speed resumes at your next monthly billing cycle.

You also have a buy a phone from directly from Virgin Mobile or from Best Buy, Target and other VM retailers.

I myself come nowhere close to using up the minutes or the data plan in a given month.  I primarily use it for work calls, calls to/from my wife and remote email for work and personal.  I don't use the smart phone for music or video.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Smart Phone. Finally.
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
For no contract not the latest greatest smartphone we were happy with straight talk. Unlimited everything for 50 bucks and the LG smartphone was about 170 iirc. On sprint now because we wanted better phones, but the straight talk was fine for us other then that.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.