Author Topic: And now Doc Watson  (Read 3782 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
And now Doc Watson
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »
He's gone home to pick with Merle.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20120529/ENT/120529031/Folk-music-legend-Doc-Watson-dies-89

Doc Watson, the Grammy-award winning folk musician whose lightning-fast style of flatpicking influenced guitarists around the world for more than a half-century, died Tuesday at a hospital in Winston-Salem, according to a hospital spokeswoman and his management company. He was 89.

7-11 was a part time job.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: And now Doc Watson
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
 :'(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Definitely a sad day for music.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
There never was a hoss like the Tennessee Stud  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
  :'(  :'(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
I never head of him, but this sound pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdUrg2Cqxdw&feature=relmfu
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
I never head of him, ....

WHAT?!?

Sounds to me like there ought to be a list of certain things and people one should know about.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
From one of the best bluegrass albums there ever was "High Country Snows". The song is "Wolf's Creek" and features Dan Fogelberg, Doc Watson, Jerry Douglas and a host of the best there was at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r11v-Kt4LCM
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
If everyone was into bluegrass, there would be a whole lot more people playing bluegrass and more radio time. 

I've heard bits and pieces of blue grass over the years.  No one I know listens to it.  I like some a lot and some not so much.  I never knew any bands to go buy albums.  Never been a big blues fan in general either.  I like the link I posted and a few others I saw.  There was a video of him singing Amazing Grace that I liked.  I did order a CD so I could really listen to some of his stuff more.  I had to get another Tennessee Ernie Ford CD also because I lost mine and I can't go too long without hearing Sixteen Tons.

I know you were just joking, but what is it with some people who actually get bent out of shape if you don't profess everlasting love and fandom to their favorite band or music?  I've had people get mad at me before because I said I really did care for a band that much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »
Back there in 1985 bluegrass was a whole lot bigger. Lots of festivals etc. Interest in it has faded since. I still like it but have to agree with an old friend who said "You can only take the twang so long..."  :laugh:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »
I know you were just joking, but what is it with some people who actually get bent out of shape if you don't profess everlasting love and fandom to their favorite band or music?  I've had people get mad at me before because I said I really did care for a band that much. 

I used to drive hip new york punks insane by assuring them that on a deep unconscious psychological level, everyone loves the Beatles.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
I used to drive hip new york punks insane by assuring them that on a deep unconscious psychological level, everyone loves the Beatles.

I think I've heard of them ... weren't they that band from Germany  ???   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
I think my misstep was telling someone I wasn't a big KISS fan.  I got these horrified looks like I had burned a Bible or something.  You can't like everyone.  It might be my definition I guess.  If I don't own and listen to one or more of their albums, then I can't say I like them all that much.

I listen to a couple of Beattles albums now (Hard Days Night and Help).  I put off ever buying any for quite a long time though.  I watched their Hard Days Night movie many years ago and always liked those songs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:24:32 PM by MechAg94 »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
I tend to listen to music for my own enjoyment, rather than to do what the in crowd does.

Oh, that reminds me......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv3pT2JV66g
7-11 was a part time job.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
I'm stealing that and posting it to facebook.  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
I like the effect they get with the quiet parts.  =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 09:16:40 PM »

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Gallagher guitars all over the world went mute for one minute, then broke into a resounding flat pickin' tribute.