Author Topic: Military gear question  (Read 1040 times)

Twycross

• friend
Military gear question
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:14:54 PM »
Are active duty soldiers allowed to use commercially bought gear instead of the standard issue stuff? I know that minor things (balaclavas, knives, stuff like that) can be used/added, but what about the larger, more important things, like load-bearing vests or boots? Is there a list of what can and cannot be substituted?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Military gear question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:12:09 PM »
It depends on the chain of support/command.  In First Cav., I had a sorry excuse for a First Sergeant.  Among his minor failings, which is still a pretty big one, is that the web gear was to contain nothing not issued.  Knives were out, but more importantly butt-packs were not allowed.  Of course, this encouraged troops to crowd their gas mask bags with sodas, magazines (Playboy, not M16) and other junk.  Sometimes they left the masks out entirely.  Fortunately, this was all stateside and in Bosnia, not some hairy corner of the world.  

In the Army at least, boots must be approved for uniform wear.  You can buy whatever off-brand or high-dollar boots you like, so long as they look just like the standard combat boot, jungle boot, desert boot, corcoran jump boot.  I don't know if this is technically legal, but I know it happens in practice.  There is also a cold weather boot approved now.  But if you put on something that is obviously made in a different pattern, or that has nylon on the upper, you might be required to change into "proper uniform," depending on how strict your leaders are about such things.  

You don't have to wear the Army brown briefs, though, although you might be required to wear the BCG's.  Smiley  Or were those discontinued?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Military gear question
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:01:22 AM »
As a mission commander, I was responsible for what my troops took afield.  So in my personal and professional opinion, this was not a failing, but rather highly commendable:

Among his minor failings, which is still a pretty big one, is that the web gear was to contain nothing not issued.
Having items stuffed into one's gas mask is a tragedy waiting to happen, when donning it during emergencies is time-critical.  

I wouldn't let my folks carry gear into harm's way that wasn't Mil-Spec and GSA-approved.

People somehow think that everything one buys from Brigade Quartermasters/REI/Gander Mountain/Cabelas/etc. has undergone all the testing and quality checks that GSA mandates for issue military equipment.  Not so.  Some off-the-shelf items may indeed survive and function well in the hostile environment, while others may fail and leave the owner holding the bag when he needs that item the most.  As combat aircrew, I wasn't willing to take that risk, so my crews carried regulation equipment for their professional gear, be it the issue Beretta M9, helmets, masks, flashlights, boots, and so forth. They were allowed personal gear, as long as it didn't interfere with the function and purpose of their issued professional items.  Our biggest concern was safety and flame/burn resistance, hence nomex, leather, and all of about 3 styles of boots that were approved for flight duties.

I did grant latitude in their choice of survival knife, as long as it got the nod from the combat crew survival school staff.  Getting shot down and surviving afield puts a lot of emphasis on one's survival knife, and the issue K-Bar wasn't really the best choice, so the regs simply didn't mandate that particular knife as a "must issue" item.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Military gear question
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:55:53 AM »
It depends on the chain of support/command.  I
Them's the magic words right there.  Some chains of command will grant you a great deal of latitude and some will flip out if your mag pouches are one row too high (above SOP).  *shrug*

Perd Hapley

• friend
Military gear question
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
As a mission commander, I was responsible for what my troops took afield.  So in my personal and professional opinion, this was not a failing, but rather highly commendable:

Among his minor failings, which is still a pretty big one, is that the web gear was to contain nothing not issued.
Having items stuffed into one's gas mask is a tragedy waiting to happen, when donning it during emergencies is time-critical.
Right, and my point was that a butt-pack would have provided somewhere to put gear that otherwise ended up in front of or in place of the pro-mask.  Of course the sodas and reading material would have been undesirable, but other items like gloves or flashlights might have gone in a buttpack, not to mention the MRE's we were sometimes expected to carry around all morning, but with no way to carry them.  

Quote from: Gewehr98
 I wouldn't let my folks carry gear into harm's way that wasn't Mil-Spec and GSA-approved.  People somehow think that everything one buys from Brigade Quartermasters/REI/Gander Mountain/Cabelas/etc. has undergone all the testing and quality checks that GSA mandates for issue military equipment.  Not so.  Some off-the-shelf items may indeed survive and function well in the hostile environment, while others may fail and leave the owner holding the bag when he needs that item the most.
People somehow think that everything issued is worth taking along.  Not so.  Sometimes that stuff from Brigade Quartermasters/REI/Gander Mountain/Cabelas/etc. is a lot better.  Sometimes a very worth-while piece of gear is not even issued, so the soldier does well to provide for himself.  Some off-the-quartermaster's-shelf items may indeed survive and function well in the hostile environment, while others may fail and leave the owner holding the bag when he needs that item the most.

Getting shot down and surviving afield puts a lot of emphasis on one's survival knife, and the issue K-Bar wasn't really the best choice, so the regs simply didn't mandate that particular knife as a "must issue" item.
K-Bars:  They make great wall-hangers.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Military gear question
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »
I did grant latitude in their choice of survival knife, as long as it got the nod from the combat crew survival school staff.  Getting shot down and surviving afield puts a lot of emphasis on one's survival knife, and the issue K-Bar wasn't really the best choice, so the regs simply didn't mandate that particular knife as a "must issue" item.
Hey Gewehr, what were some of the "approved" knives if you don't mind my asking.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Military gear question
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
When I did a tour in Iraq with the Seabees I brought my own:

load bearing vest
gloves
goggles ( wiley-x doesn't fit me)
sling for my M-16
helmet insert (replaced the suspension in the kevlar helmet)
Balaklava-type neoprene tube thingy (great investment, btw)
Drop-holster, bought a leather one made by a local
ammo pouches (started on my legs like a drop-holster, ended up mounted right on my Interceptor)
Camelback(didn't think I'd get issued one. The issue one got sent home)

We weren't issued knives, so I carried a Spyderco military model. Used the hell out of it, too. Great knife.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Military gear question
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:12:43 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
Balaklava-type neoprene tube thingy (great investment, btw).
Darn tootin'.  I think they issue those now.  They fit under a helmet better than a watch cap does.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Military gear question
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 07:24:51 PM »
I still use mine to cover my eyes when its too bright to sleep.