Author Topic: Your favorite wines for the holidays?  (Read 3416 times)

Trisha

• friend
Your favorite wines for the holidays?
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:03:52 PM »
Here, it's a Santa Barbara Merlot, and a Tuscany white.

Looks like champagne's out this year - it makes Kathryn sneeze - and those are feindishly painful (avoided at all costs).

and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Your favorite wines for the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:30:47 PM »
MD 20/20

~GnSx

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »
"Socks and underwear AGAIN?!"

Oh, not that kind of whine?

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
MD 20/20
~GnSx

Yeah, if your having a lot of uptight people and kids over. Otherwise:

is the proper way to class up the festivities.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
Late harvest Riesling from Leelanau Cellars.  They have a delightfully musky Muscatm as well.  One of my neighbors makes a great Merlot in his basement.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:55:12 PM »
Say Yeager...

What's the word?

~GnSx

slzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »
another vote for richards

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 07:38:23 AM »
"Socks and underwear AGAIN?!"
Oh, not that kind of whine?
 grin
Dammit, you beat me to it. Cheesy

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »
Like something classy and red on Christmas day.

Not underwear though.

Can't touch champagne, or any white wine, either - gives me colic type pains.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:31:55 AM »
Now that I'm done being a smart a** I suggest you find and visit a few local wineries (if they exist in you area) taste a few wines and pick out what you like.

or you could email these guys and see if they'll ship to you. They handpick theri grapes sothere are no leaves or stem or bugs going into the hopper/ Cleanest wine you'll ever drink. The Reisling and the Guwertsa-whatever are both excellent. I think I may have to take a trip down there myself. Another plus is in CT we have enough natural sulfites in the soil so they don't need to add them like they do in oh say,,, Kalifornia.  grin

http://www.ctwine.com/priam.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Seriously, GLUHWEIN is the best wine for holiday season.  It's a spiced wine, reasonably priced, that's served heated.  Absolutely fantastic stuff. 

You can either buy it in the bottle or even better make your own:

http://www.christmas-baking.com/gluehwein.html

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 06:30:39 PM »
I like Blackstone Merlot for Christmas, or the 4th of July. It's "oaky" and you get a buzz from it. Chase a Centrum with it and it meets at least 50% of the RDI. What more could you want.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »
Favorite white was Paul Masson French Colombard. THink Masson sold out. Never see a French Colombard locally. Tried a Yellowtail Riesling just this evening:very nice. Prefer reds, Pinot Noir, cabernet savigonons, etc. Have a Medoc 2002 hand delivered from Paris that I'm waiting to try. Salute! Have about 15 gal bubbling away at the moment. Should be ready for Christmas.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 08:31:17 PM »
You guys drink that fancy stuff, here on the Rez, this is the choice of the picky wine connoisseur.

bob

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »
Hey, enough with the anti-California comments!   smiley

For many years, the holiday gatherings at my family have always included several bottles of Silverado wines.  Mid-priced and quite nice.  Napa Valley.

Also, the mass market bottlings of Kendall-Jackson have become so ubiquitous as to be boring, even though they are quite drinkable on an informal basis.  But for special occasions, their Grand Reserve wines are very nice.  And, not too expensive.  Sonoma Valley.

I mention the above, as they are distributed nationally, and should not be too hard to find.

This year, though, I am going to concentrate on GustavoThrace, also of Napa Valley.  A boutique winery, but establishing a reputation.  Hard to find thus far.  My source?  My aunt, Thrace Bromberger.   laugh
To the stars!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 09:11:38 AM »
Holiday wine:  "When are we leaving for Naples."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 02:39:29 PM »
The fact that not one, not two, but THREE people have linked to pictures from bumwine.com is evidence that APS is, without doubt, the classiest forum ever.

~GnSx

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »
The fact that not one, not two, but THREE people have linked to pictures from bumwine.com is evidence that APS is, without doubt, the classiest forum ever.

~GnSx

I just wish they would update it some day, hasnt changed for years  sad

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »

Usually I crack open at least one bottle of Liebfraumilch, but anything from Rheinhessen ( http://www.rheinhessenwein.de/) is decent.   I'm also partial to any Riesling during the Yule holiday, but if you can get your hands on some Schloss Schonborn Kabinett Riesling...

Fortunately, my area (Central PA) has more than a few decent vineyards.  There are 15 vineyards and wineries with a 30-45 minute drive.  Couple with decent resturants attached.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 07:39:23 PM »

I just wish they would update it some day, hasnt changed for years 

That would require an update to the wines that bums drink, which hasn't changed in years!

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 08:04:07 PM »
Canadian or Austrian ice wines.

Tough to come by this year, and expensive, as the Canadian winter was too warm and the crop suffered.

Expensive as hell in the United States. If you can get to Canada to purchase it it's a LOT cheaper.

A 375ml bottle that goes for $80 US can be had for as little as $35 Canadian.

Inniskillin produces some of the best of the Canadian ice wines (and most expensive) but Magnotta is generally my favorite, followed by Jackson-Triggs.

Mission Hill produces some nice, but not nearly as complex, ice wines. The main benefit of Mission Hills is that their ice wines are generally less expensive. You can get them here in the United States for as little as $20 a bottle.

Ice wines are dessert wines. They are very sweet and are EXTREMELY complex. They're an incredible accompanyment with cheese, crackers, and fruit, or as a pairing with a not-so-sweet dessert.

One of the best ice wine experiences I ever had was as a dessert accompanyment to a chocolate orange souffle.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »
Canadian or Austrian ice wines.

Hear, hear!   Try some NZ ice wines, usually very nice for the price.  Ice wines are way too rare and expensive in the States, any ideas why?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
I want to thank ypu guys for this thread. I had never heard about Ice wines. I live close enough to Canada I think I will take a day trip and go do some exploring on this subject. Also, on the plus side, I have a duty free store less than an hour away. Maybe there will be some there.

bob