Author Topic: How 'bout them Cubs?  (Read 2547 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
How 'bout them Cubs?
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:32:19 AM »
I'm no sports fan, but am happy that the cubs were able to break the curse.
Here's to another 108 years!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-cubs-world-series-champions-spt-1103-20161102-story.html
7-11 was a part time job.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: How 'bout them Cubs?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »
They're okay. As one of the most basic weapons, you can fashion one out of just about anything. Certainly not my first choice but it's a whole lot better than nothing. I'd rather have one against an opponent with a knife.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »
Because this year wasn't strange enough. Donald Trump, Brexit, the clown scare, and now the Cubs win the world series. Strange times.

They're okay. As one of the most basic weapons, you can fashion one out of just about anything. Certainly not my first choice but it's a whole lot better than nothing. I'd rather have one against an opponent with a knife.

Not bad.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »
Most of my life I watched the Bears and listened to the White Sox broadcast on the radio regularly.

The baseball strike pissed me off and I never really went back, except for the 2005 season where I started paying attention half way through the year. Then I got to watch the White Sox win the World Series. I then went back to ignoring baseball.

Football faded out from my life around that same time and I followed NASCAR instead. Then I lost interest in that also, it started getting a WWF vibe to me.

For whatever reason organized sports have just lost their appeal to me. I don't mock or judge folks that are engrossed in sports though, I've been there (glad I'm out).

Being in the Chicagoland area I'm surrounded by Cubs fans. I'm very happy for them and haven't been saying or doing anything to "rain on their parade" through the pennant race and world series.

Now that the Cubs have won I hope they (the fans) don't become (more) insufferable  :lol:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
I'm disappointed they aren't the "lovable losers" anymore, but hey, it's 2016.

Gives me hope that SMOD might yet be coming.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
I wish I could have seen more of the series.

This was the first series in a LONG time where I was happy to see the two teams that were in it, and I'd have been happy no matter which team won.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
I've heard/seen very little moaning and gnashing of teeth by Cardinal Nation. I am disappoint.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »
Baseball ... baseball ...

Lemme think ... is that the one where each side has eleven players and they try to kick the ball into the other teams' net? No, wait -- is it the one where there's a net across the center of the court and they try to get the tall guys close to the net so they can hit it past the other team?

Don't tell me ... I know this, it just takes awhile to remember such esoterica.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:27:29 PM »
He said cubs.  However, the cub really isn't the weapon, it is just the pointer to bring Mama Bear in on your target. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
Some said it was impossible for the Texas A&M Aggies to win a National Championship.  However, if the Cubs can win the World Series anything is possible......even Trump winning!.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:36:48 PM »
Most of my life I watched the Bears and listened to the White Sox broadcast on the radio regularly.   Same here. As a kid, I liked the Hamm's Beer Bear commercials that ran during White Sox games. And watching the commentator - Jack Brickhouse - get sloshed.

The baseball strike pissed me off and I never really went back,  Ditto. Millionaire players and billionaire owners squabbling didn't impress me.
I was fully expecting the Cubs to fold up - as they have so many, many times in the past. But they didn't this time. Good for them.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain