Author Topic: Texas Sues GA, MI, PA and WI in USSC  (Read 7052 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Texas Sues GA, MI, PA and WI in USSC
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »
Then Pence selects Trump as VP  =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2020, 08:19:38 PM »
If it goes to the House the thought among the pundits is it will almost certainly flip.  Each state only gets one vote, and [I'm told} there are more republican delegations in the house.

I didn't know that
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2020, 10:07:57 PM »
From PA

Texas seeks to invalidate elections in four states for yielding results with which it disagrees. Its request for this Court to exercise its original jurisdiction and then anoint Texas’s preferred candidate for President is legally indefensible and is an afront to principles of constitutional democracy.

What Texas is doing in this proceeding is to ask this Court to reconsider a mass of baseless claims about problems with the election that have already been considered, and rejected, by this Court and other courts. It attempts to exploit this Court’s sparingly used original jurisdiction to relitigate those matters. But Texas obviously lacks standing to bring such claims, which, in any event, are barred by laches, and are moot, meritless, and dangerous. Texas has not suffered harm simply because it dislikes the result of the election, and nothing in the text, history, or structure of the Constitution supports Texas’s view that it can dictate the manner in which four other states run their elections. Nor is that view grounded in any precedent from this Court. Texas does not seek to have the Court interpret the Constitution, so much as disregard it.

The cascading series of compounding defects in Texas’s filings is only underscored by the surreal alternate reality that those filings attempt to construct. That alternate reality includes an absurd statistical analysis positing that the probability of President-Elect Biden winning the election was “one in a quadrillion.” Bill of Complaint at 6. Texas’s effort to get this Court to pick the next President has no basis in law or fact. The Court should not abide this seditious abuse of the judicial process, and should send a clear and unmistakable signal that such abuse must never be replicated.

Rather strident language when dealing with the SC. I would have thought a little less rhetorical hubris and a bit more "meat" would be in order when dealing with the highest court in the land.

Then in other news, PA joined Texas in the lawsuit.

PA is suing itself.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:20:21 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2020, 11:32:26 PM »
Is there any reason the senate couldn't elect Trump as VP?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 01:08:26 AM »
From PA

Rather strident language when dealing with the SC. I would have thought a little less rhetorical hubris and a bit more "meat" would be in order when dealing with the highest court in the land.

Then in other news, PA joined Texas in the lawsuit.

PA is suing itself.

PA state Congress suing the state Executive?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 08:10:08 AM »
PA state Congress suing the state Executive?

This makes a lot more sense to me. They would have standing that TX doesn't.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed in Idaho, one of the few R states not joining Texas:

Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden said he won’t be participating in the case, citing concerns about counter-litigation.

“As is sometimes the case, the legally correct decision may not be the politically convenient decision,” he said in a statement.

This goes back to what we've been talking about regarding various states legal representatives afraid of lefty riots if they do the right thing.

While I have I often stated that following the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law is often wrong, this certainly seems to be a case of the spirit of the law, and weighing political convenience over it is... disappointing. Even if this becomes nothing more than a statement, it's a statement that needs to be made, and every state should have the guts to pick one side or the other.

Edit: Actually, I just heard a snippet on the local news that said the ID gov, lt gov, and most of the legislature said to go forward with support, but the AG "overruled" them. This is new information for me. Can a state AG overrule the governor and legislature in something like this?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
And now it gets even more interesting...FBI subpoenas Texas AG in an investigation into allegations of abuse of office and bribery.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/fbi-subpoena-texas-ag-ken-paxton/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
And now it gets even more interesting...FBI subpoenas Texas AG in an investigation into allegations of abuse of office and bribery.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/fbi-subpoena-texas-ag-ken-paxton/

I saw that earlier.  Starting to think this is AG Paxton's bid for a Trump pardon.
In any case, I expect SCOTUS will punt the suit later today.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
BRIEF OF STATE OF NEW CALIFORNIA AND NEW NEVADA STATE AS AMICI CURIAE IN SUPPORT OF PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR LEAVE TO FILE BILL OF COMPLAINT

New California State and New Nevada State are directly impacted by the arbitrary and capricious changes in election laws and procedures occur with unfortunate regularity in the current States of California and Nevada.

Part of the reason for the formation of New California State and New Nevada Sate is to stop the lawless actions of Governors Newsome (California) and Sisolak (Nevada). An opinion by this Court affirming a national, uniform rule of law reestablishing the supremacy of The Electors Clause of Article II, § 1 of the United States Constitution will resolve some of the complaints causing the establishment of these new States.
:rofl:

Well now I'm going to be disappointed if we don't see an amicus brief by Borat Margaret Sagdiyev on behalf of Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
How long until the Republic of Gilead weighs in?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2020, 06:50:46 PM »
Rejected by SCOTUS
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »
I was trying to figure out last night which, if any, of the justices would dissent when SCOTUS tossed the case.  I figured at best it would be a 7-2 decision to toss the case and kind of thought Thomas might be a dissenter, and sure enough he was.  I had no real idea who the second might be if there was one.  Turned out it was Alito.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »
I saw that earlier.  Starting to think this is AG Paxton's bid for a Trump pardon.
In any case, I expect SCOTUS will punt the suit later today.

Do you have a time machine or a crystal ball? ? ? ?    [popcorn]

I could say something here about our ...... illustrious court system ......  but I won't.    :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2020, 07:44:15 PM »

Do you have a time machine or a crystal ball? ? ? ?    [popcorn]

Just some common sense and a healthy disdain for our political betters.
And a realization that our republic has been dying of old age for a while.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »
SCOTUS bitching out doesn’t bode well for Biden legislation cases...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2020, 08:37:05 PM »
Lack of standing... So how quickly do you think residents of each of those states will file essentially identical lawsuits in all 4 states. Not that they'll accomplish much, but....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
Rejected by SCOTUS

I believe that's that. 

Here we go.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2020, 10:42:25 PM »
Lack of standing... So how quickly do you think residents of each of those states will file essentially identical lawsuits in all 4 states. Not that they'll accomplish much, but....

PA state congress was part of the suit.  Scotus just said the PA congress has no standing to sue the PA executive when the executive usurps congressional powers.  How utterly insane.

It seems as though if they can't steal the election they'll settle for sparking a civil war with bald face lies.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
The courts are not going to help us.

There is no political solution.

We are watching power, not law.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »
Some comments I've heard:

SCOTUS means nothing now.

Soapbox censored.

Ballot box corrupted.

Jury box denied.

It's clear we're not going to be given representation unless its on their terms.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2020, 11:32:25 PM »
Just to clarify, I believe this won't be civil war 2.  This will be an attempted Bolshevik Revolution in America making this fight a counter-revolution.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2020, 11:44:40 PM »
Just to clarify, I believe this won't be civil war 2.  This will be an attempted Bolshevik Revolution in America making this fight a counter-revolution.

Trumps camp has always encouraged everyone to enjoy the show.

There has been zero talk of taking up arms from anyone, except from armchair warriors who are always ready to take up arms.

Who the heck are they going to shoot anyway?

Having an actual target might help.

This is a psyop/intelligence services battle, we are all just stuck sitting here wondering wtf?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2020, 02:19:03 AM »

There has been zero talk of taking up arms from anyone, except from armchair warriors who are always ready to [insert] have other people [/insert] take up arms.

FIFY
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design