Author Topic: The COVID-19 data raid  (Read 828 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The COVID-19 data raid
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »
Remember awhile back the governor of Florida fired the woman who had set up that state's COVID-19 database? It turns out that she's the person whose house was raided by a team of armed cops and whose computers were seized, because the government of Florida accused her of "hacking."

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-officials-defend-raid-covid-004133712.html

If the allegations are all true, what she did wasn't really "hacking" as most people understand it. Apparently Florida uses a common log-in name and password for the entire department she used to work for, so when she was fired they didn't (and effectively couldn't) revoke her log-in credentials. Which means, as one source in the article said, that the state is going to have to prove that they told her she couldn't continue to use her access to log into the system. Dollars to donuts nobody told her that.

I was surprised to find that she was actually fired, as in terminated from state employment. I'm surprised they could do that, unless she was a consultant rather than a regular state employee. When she was removed from running the database a few months ago, I assumed that she had just been reassigned to a desk in a corner and taken off the database assignment. Apparently, in this case, "fired" did mean "fired." (As opposed to all the officers at Fort Hood, in which case "fired" only means removed from command and reassigned.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: The COVID-19 data raid
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
I would be shocked if the User Agreement she signed to work for .gov didn't include some kind of "You are only authorized to access .gov computers in the performance of your assigned duties.  Unauthorized access is a crime" verbiage.

Every .gov computer use policy I've ever signed had some version of that.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »
Apparently Florida uses a common log-in name and password for the entire department she used to work for, so when she was fired they didn't (and effectively couldn't) revoke her log-in credentials.

That is quite stupid.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
That is quite stupid.

The words government and stupid are interchangeable
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:53:49 PM »
That is quite stupid.

It certainly is. Monumentally stupid. Even my idiot state does better. When I worked on state sites as a consultant, I was on the state network. I had a unique ID and password, which I had to change either every three months or every six months (don't recall which). And my access automatically terminated every 12 months, and I had to have the state's project manager or assistant project manager call or e-mail IT and tell them to extend my access for another year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »

https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/12/home-of-florida-data-tech-rebekah-jones-raided-for-allegedly-hacking-the-states-emergency-alert-system/

In May, Florida data technician Rebekah Jones was fired for what state records reportedly showed was a pattern of making unauthorized public remarks about the Florida coronavirus dashboard she helped manage.
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 04:46:25 AM »
https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/12/home-of-florida-data-tech-rebekah-jones-raided-for-allegedly-hacking-the-states-emergency-alert-system/

Being fired for cause seems like an affirmative indication that one is no longer allowed access, even if one remembers the current password.