Author Topic: Calling up the militia  (Read 2641 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Calling up the militia
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
Aren't they commanded by the governor of each state?

Until ordered to Federal service by either Presidential order or act of Congress. The President can also Federalize the guard in a single state if that state is in defiance of Federal law or is unable to control civil disorder.

Probably the most famous incident of that type was in 1957 when Eisenhower Federalized the Arkansas National Guard.

Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus was using the guard to prevent integration of Little Rock's Central High School.

Eisenhower's action removed the guard from Faubus' control, allowing it to be ordered back to its armories, and contingents of the 101st Airborne protected the students from large mobs gathered at the school. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »
Except in such a scenario, coc seems like it's get a little....murky. And subject mainly to who tells who to go pound sand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
The Uniform Militia Act of 1792 defined the militia as envisioned by the founders.  It was comprised of the organized militia (those mustered to service)  and the unorganized militia (those not mustered) comprising able bodied males aged 18 to 45.

Today the militia system has long fallen into disuse.  It cannot be THE NATIONAL GUARD,  as it didn't exist in 1792.  I think Texas is one of the only states with a militia and it's purpose is much changed from what it was .... though I may be wrong about this. 

Today,  the militia consists of a few old white Christians who identify as white nationalists who hang out in the woods shooting empty (sometimes)  beer cans off of tree branches and cussing out democrat politicians while reloading their 5.56mm. magazines.

[tinfoil] [popcorn] ..... :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
The National Guard was started in Massachusetts in 1636.  The Militia act of 1792 was definitely talking about the state guards that comprise the National Guard when it mentioned the "organized Militia."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
The National Guard was started in Massachusetts in 1636.  The Militia act of 1792 was definitely talking about the state guards that comprise the National Guard when it mentioned the "organized Militia."

:facepalm:  I stand corrected.  I had thought federal laws were changed just after 1900 that created the National Guard as we know it .... but apparently I mis-remembered .... something .... and now I don't even know where to go to find out where I went wrong.

In any case .... my point was .... beer drinking rednecks shooting cans off of tree branches aren't ....really militias.   Unless you count them as the, er,  ....unorganized part. =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »
The Uniform Militia Act of 1792 defined the militia as envisioned by the founders.  It was comprised of the organized militia (those mustered to service)  and the unorganized militia (those not mustered) comprising able bodied males aged 18 to 45.

Today the militia system has long fallen into disuse.  It cannot be THE NATIONAL GUARD,  as it didn't exist in 1792.  I think Texas is one of the only states with a militia and it's purpose is much changed from what it was .... though I may be wrong about this.  

Today,  the militia consists of a few old white Christians who identify as white nationalists who hang out in the woods shooting empty (sometimes)  beer cans off of tree branches and cussing out democrat politicians while reloading their 5.56mm. magazines.

[tinfoil] [popcorn] ..... :old:

You are conflating and/or confusing the original Militia Acts (there were two) of 1792 with the Militia Act of 1903. It was the 1903 Militia Act that introduced the distinction between the organized militia (the National Guard) and the unorganized militia.

https://www.mountvernon.org/education/primary-sources-2/article/militia-act-of-1792/

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

I posted this link before. A number of states (21, in fact) have state militias (typically called "State Guard"). My state has one, divided into four companies. They answer to the State Adjutant General, who also commands the state's National Guard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force#/media/File:State_Defense_Force_Map_December_2019.png

And, as defined by the Militia Act of 1903, the National Guard is considered to be the organized militia.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:52:41 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »
:facepalm:  I stand corrected.  I had thought federal laws were changed just after 1900 that created the National Guard as we know it .... but apparently I mis-remembered .... something .... and now I don't even know where to go to find out where I went wrong.

The National Guard was created by the Dirk Act of 1903, but the name "National Guard" was only a recommendation. The "National Guard" designation was made mandatory by the National Defense Act of 1916.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 07:45:32 PM »
Oooookay.....   Thanks.

But I still think the 1792 U. M. A.  Distinguished organized and unorganized  militia.....

:facepalm:

Never mind, really ..... I still have a hangover headache from the election tomfoolery we're going through ..... :old:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »

Never mind, really ..... I still have a hangover headache from the election tomfoolery we're going through ..... :old:

With you there,  I think it's fitting that I've got what's hopefully not the Kung Flu on the most fitting of days.  Would gladly trade for a hangover.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 01:48:44 AM »
Oooookay.....   Thanks.

But I still think the 1792 U. M. A.  Distinguished organized and unorganized  militia.....

I gave you the link ... and it (they, actually) didn't.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
I gave you the link ... and it (they, actually) didn't.

Ok .... this is what I call "false memory syndrome."   Stuff vaguely recalled,  accurate in some sense but messed up or conflated in detail. =(

I hate growing old sometimes ....  :mad:   :old: