Author Topic: Is it possible to be too cynical?  (Read 994 times)

peteinct

• friend
Is it possible to be too cynical?
« on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Talking with the guys at work I was told I am very cynical. Its true but when is it cynical versus being truthful?  When I look at the world it seems very pretext driven. An example being traffic stops which are "for safety" but mostly for revenue collection in my opinion. The covid response of you cant have a gathering except for the correct political cause shows that control is what's important not health. Internet groups censoring the opposition when their own side is just as bad or not worse. I see that kind of behavior even with coporate stuff as the different groups or sites try to shuffle their costs to another while keeping the profits. I dont get how people can says politician X is doing so and so because he cares about the issue or country. Maybe they do but I bet its difened as helping themselves first because whats good for them is good for the county..
 Im a pretty contented guy in general. I feel that my life and indeed life in general is an amazing thing. Is there a downside to being too cynical? Missing opprtunity for joy perhaps? Im not sure and would like to hear what everyone thinks? Thanks, Pete

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Is it possible to be too cynical?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
If being cynical is getting in the way of living your life, then yes.  If your cynicism causes you to be cautious and prepared for what comes your way, I'd say no.  I expect things to go wrong, and try to be prepared for that.  Since I don't like unscheduled surprises, as I call them, I act with caution, and a healthy dose of cynicism.  There are those on here who disagree, I am certain.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
First let's make sure that your co-workers know the difference between cynicism and pessimism. Cynicism is a presumption of worst intentions (distrust of people), pessimism is a presumption of worst outcomes (distrust of situation).

That being said... Yes, it is possible to be too cynical.

There is an art to being truthful without being perceived as unfeeling or uncaring. It's a much an issue of how the words are spoken as it is the words themselves. There are also times when speaking an opinion, or even a fact for that matter, may be detrimental to the conversation.

In addition, it is possible to simply wear people out with cynicism/pessimism. There comes a time when people get tired of hearing "worst possibles" even though the words might be absolute fact and infallible truth. What you perceive as being honest they perceive as being grouchy, irritable, untrusting, and overly critical.

Finally, as to your last question, the answer is a resounding Yes. Always presuming worst possible outcomes and intentions limits you to that lens, often blinding you to the good in things and people. As with everything, balance is key. Being a cynic and a pessimist when it's merited is fine. Being a cynic and a pessimist by default isn't. Not only does it tend to drive people away, it isn't all that great for your physical health, either.

The saying "Expect the Best. Prepare for the Worst." really is the way to go. A balance of hopeful optimism and acknowledgement of potential negatives.

*Edit to add* Looks like Grandpa Shooter and I were posting pretty much the same thing at the same time.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:32:12 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
I would agree with that.  Don't let the cynicism get so bad it interferes with your basic happiness.  But taking an honest view of things is not bad IMO. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »
It is possible to be too cynical about your fellow Americans.  I was feeling really cynical and hateful about them, and then this happened to me the other day:

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=64967.msg1313620#msg1313620

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
It seems to me cynicism is accepting the possibility that someone is lying while pessimism is assuming they are. I see a cynic as being more open-minded than a pessimist. It's a fine line between them, but there is a difference.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 12:01:25 AM »
"Okay. We'll use a safe word."

"What is it?"

"Antidisestablishmentarianism."
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »
"Okay. We'll use a safe word."

"What is it?"

"Antidisestablishmentarianism."
Be more scientific - Supermicrodistillatingliquichemicosis. 

An "attaboy" (or "attagirl") to whoever can name the source of that word without Google. Hint: it's otherworldly
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
Quote from: peteinct
Is it possible to be too cynical?

No.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
Why would you ask this?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 08:18:39 PM »
"Is it possible to be too cynical?"

Before or after turning on CSPAN?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »
First let's make sure that your co-workers know the difference between cynicism and pessimism. Cynicism is a presumption of worst intentions (distrust of people), pessimism is a presumption of worst outcomes (distrust of situation).

That being said... Yes, it is possible to be too cynical.

There is an art to being truthful without being perceived as unfeeling or uncaring. It's a much an issue of how the words are spoken as it is the words themselves. There are also times when speaking an opinion, or even a fact for that matter, may be detrimental to the conversation.

In addition, it is possible to simply wear people out with cynicism/pessimism. There comes a time when people get tired of hearing "worst possibles" even though the words might be absolute fact and infallible truth. What you perceive as being honest they perceive as being grouchy, irritable, untrusting, and overly critical.

Finally, as to your last question, the answer is a resounding Yes. Always presuming worst possible outcomes and intentions limits you to that lens, often blinding you to the good in things and people. As with everything, balance is key. Being a cynic and a pessimist when it's merited is fine. Being a cynic and a pessimist by default isn't. Not only does it tend to drive people away, it isn't all that great for your physical health, either.

The saying "Expect the Best. Prepare for the Worst." really is the way to go. A balance of hopeful optimism and acknowledgement of potential negatives.

*Edit to add* Looks like Grandpa Shooter and I were posting pretty much the same thing at the same time.

Brad

Pretty much this.

My only change would be "Hope for the best" rather than expecting it.  "Expecting" something to happen can sometimes lead to negative emotions if it doesn't.  I strive for the best outcome, and am happy if it happens, but won't get sad/unhappy/disappointed/whatever if it doesn't occur.  If it doesn't, time for Plan B.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »
Be more scientific - Supermicrodistillatingliquichemicosis.

An "attaboy" (or "attagirl") to whoever can name the source of that word without Google. Hint: it's otherworldly

Is it related to "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ?  :laugh:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »
I like hawkmoons answer. I do think there's a difference between cynicism and pessimism but I am not sure how to define it. Cynical is about motive perhaps? i think you could lose the opportuuity for happiness in your life if you get too negative in your viewpoint. However people who belive that "people in power are invaribly truthful"(not sure where the quote is from) are naive and foolish in my opinion. Shades of dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining.  Pete

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
Cynical is like pregnant. You either are or you're not.  :facepalm:

I like keeping things plain and simple.  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »
Cynical is like pregnant. You either are or you're not.  :facepalm:

I like keeping things plain and simple.  :old:

Woody

I'm too cynical to think it is that simple.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 04:07:09 PM »
I'm too cynical to think it is that simple.
I guess you are pregnant.  That's what I learned from Woody today.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
I've never met Jim147 but I've got to assume that that'll be one ugly baby.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »
Being cynical is OK as long as you have a warped sense of humor to go along with it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »
I guess you are pregnant.  That's what I learned from Woody today.

That's life, I guess. One minute you're cynical, next you find that you're pregnant. Never been there, never done that.... Pregnant, that is.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood