Author Topic: Inflation  (Read 1454 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Inflation
« on: August 06, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
I just saw on the teevee that combined inflation is currently sitting at 5.4%.

So much for the 4% rule for this year. Plus I've got cash sitting on the sidelines because I've just been scared to death of how high the Dow keeps going, while at the same time the *expletive deleted*ers continue to artificially suppress interest rates so I can't even buy a T-bill.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
Re: Inflation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 10:42:54 AM »
Yep, everyone is in the same boat. Stock market is at historic highs with terrible P/E, Banks and bonds are paying nothing and everyone is terrified to be stuck holding them when rates go back up. Why do you think everyone is refinancing and buying up houses? We are stuck in a demented prisoner's dilemma experiment with the government policymakers pulling the puppet strings and watching us dance.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:05:13 AM »
The Federal Reserve created a lot of money out of thin area during 2020.

How much of this is Trump's fault?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
From the trenches here, I suspect real inflation is higher.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:49:23 AM »

You and me both.  Much higher when package or unit size deflation is considered.  As one indicator, I noticed the other day that our usual brand of paper towels are now smaller in diameter by about a third.  This was a recent change, having occurred in just the last six weeks or so.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:02:32 PM »
5.4% my ass.
Isn't this coming from the same people that also told us that $5 gas was basically the new normal during the Obama admin?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:18:03 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 12:19:14 PM »
5.4% my ass.
Isn't this coming from the same people that also told us that $5 gas was basically a figment of our imagination during the Obama admin?

I could be easy to convince that the number is higher. What they showed on the TV was combined inflation. They didn't show how they arrived at it. They did show some areas that were much higher. It's been hours since I saw the segment, so don't quote me, but I think gasoline was at ~48%, transportation ~30%, groceries ~25% as examples.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 12:23:34 PM »
Sorry, change my wording a bit in that
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 01:13:59 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
Yep, just like during the Obama admin they kept telling us inflation was what, around 4%? My own two eyes and wallet said otherwise.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
You and me both.  Much higher when package or unit size deflation is considered.  As one indicator, I noticed the other day that our usual brand of paper towels are now smaller in diameter by about a third.  This was a recent change, having occurred in just the last six weeks or so.

Rossen Reports: 'Shrinkflation' hits grocery stores, downsizing your favorite foods
https://www.wlky.com/article/rossen-reports-shrinkflation-hits-grocery-stores-downsizing-your-favorite-foods/37235119
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »
Rossen Reports: 'Shrinkflation' hits grocery stores, downsizing your favorite foods
https://www.wlky.com/article/rossen-reports-shrinkflation-hits-grocery-stores-downsizing-your-favorite-foods/37235119

I'm seeing this everywhere, and WAY more than the last time they did it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »
Imagine how different MSM coverage would be on this if Orange Man was still in the WH.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 02:44:53 PM »

I hope they don't end up passing the 4 trillion dollar spending package the Dems are talking about. Double down on 2020. 

I am honestly surprised they even bother to pass bills allowing them to spend money.  I am waiting for them to just spend it.  No one would stop them right now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 04:20:11 PM »
QFT.

To be fair, this is comparison with a year ago. Does anyone really think airfare is expensive right now? It's up 25% because they were practically giving away tickets last summer. I just flew Boise to Dallas non-stop for $225.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
What do you expect when you have a bunch of hot-headed blowhards running the circus?  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »
To be fair, this is comparison with a year ago. Does anyone really think airfare is expensive right now? It's up 25% because they were practically giving away tickets last summer. I just flew Boise to Dallas non-stop for $225.
Some of that list had gotten cheaper last year. Some had gotten more expensive. All is more expensive today.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:20:53 PM by cordex »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 07:47:15 PM »
Airfare is kinda high right now.  I just got hit for $530 for Tampa-vegas tickets.  3 or 4 years ago they would be right around $400.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 10:09:28 PM »
Dems: What inflation? We don't see no stinking inflation. The free stuff is still free and we're adding more free stuff.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 10:42:04 PM »
What do you expect when you have a bunch of hot-headed blowhards running the circus?  :rofl:

If only we knew who was running the country. It's not Biden or the cali hoe.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 02:31:02 AM »

Considering the Federal Reserve privately owned central bank is not under the control of the President of the United States, I'm going to say not very damn much.  But thanks for the politicking.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 02:33:01 AM »

Lumber has quintupled, and other goods have shown to be around 60-100% higher.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »
Considering the Federal Reserve privately owned central bank is not under the control of the President of the United States, I'm going to say not very damn much.  But thanks for the politicking.

The President appoints the governors of the Fed.  In 2020 four out of the five governors of the Fed were appointed by President Trump.  The current chair of the Federal Reserve was nominated by Trump.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-shelton/senate-panel-narrowly-approves-trumps-fed-nominee-shelton-idUSKCN24M2ND

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »
The President appoints the governors of the Fed.  In 2020 four out of the five governors of the Fed were appointed by President Trump.  The current chair of the Federal Reserve was nominated by Trump.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-shelton/senate-panel-narrowly-approves-trumps-fed-nominee-shelton-idUSKCN24M2ND

And how much control do they have over this private bank?

That's like touting how the NRA membership elects the president, but neglects to mention the president of the NRA is a figurehead while Wayne really runs the show.  The US Government does not control the private bank that owns this country.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »
And how much control do they have over this private bank?

That's like touting how the NRA membership elects the president, but neglects to mention the president of the NRA is a figurehead while Wayne really runs the show.  The US Government does not control the private bank that owns this country.

I don't know much about the Fed.  Do the governors and and heads of the Fed not run it? 

Who does run the Federal Reserve then?