Author Topic: The Babylonians Beat Pythagoras  (Read 716 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Babylonians Beat Pythagoras
« on: August 09, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
The Babylonians apparently beat Pythagoras on his theorem by around 1000 years. Theirs seems to be called a "proto-theorem" and was used for land measurements rather than stellar measurements.

One of the most interesting secondary topics to me in the article was that the trig was being used for legal boundaries and land ownership nearly 4000 years ago. Neighbors fighting over their fence lines has been going on for a long time.  :laugh:

https://www.livescience.com/earliest-form-of-pythagorean-triplet
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The Babylonians Beat Pythagoras
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »
until we find out they learned it from someone who came before whose records are lost. 

I imagine surveying is a pretty powerful need.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
The Babylonians apparently beat Pythagoras on his theorem by around 1000 years. Theirs seems to be called a "proto-theorem" and was used for land measurements rather than stellar measurements.

One of the most interesting secondary topics to me in the article was that the trig was being used for legal boundaries and land ownership nearly 4000 years ago. Neighbors fighting over their fence lines has been going on for a long time.  :laugh:

https://www.livescience.com/earliest-form-of-pythagorean-triplet
And the worlds first customer complaint was written almost 4000 years ago, on a clay tablet, about the quality of copper ingots. =D

until we find out they learned it from someone who came before whose records are lost. 

I imagine surveying is a pretty powerful need.
I keep reading this idea that the Sphinx in Egypt is far, far older than what is commonly believed. Maybe the ones who built it (if the theory about the age is true) knew it before the Babylonians.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

For sure. I've been interested in "lost knowledge" ever since seeing a Carl Sagan episode on the Library at Alexandria when I was a kid.

War, plague, catastrophe. Heck, even just crappy record storage allowing documentation to disintegrate. I bet there is a lot of stuff that humans have "newly discovered" multiple times over the history of our species.

This kind of stuff is also what got me so interested in the Silurian Hypothesis.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
For sure. I've been interested in "lost knowledge" ever since seeing a Carl Sagan episode on the Library at Alexandria when I was a kid.

War, plague, catastrophe. Heck, even just crappy record storage allowing documentation to disintegrate. I bet there is a lot of stuff that humans have "newly discovered" multiple times over the history of our species.

This kind of stuff is also what got me so interested in the Silurian Hypothesis.
One idea I agree with:  If you assume humans have been around more or less as we are for a hundred thousand years or more, I refuse to believe humans were undergoing brain development for all that time up until recently. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 12:32:08 PM »
And the worlds first customer complaint was written almost 4000 years ago, on a clay tablet, about the quality of copper ingots. =D

I keep reading this idea that the Sphinx in Egypt is far, far older than what is commonly believed. Maybe the ones who built it (if the theory about the age is true) knew it before the Babylonians.
I figure the mathematics of astronomy have been around for quite some time. 

One youtube video I watched talked about a ~25,000 year procession of the equinoxes and said the Sphinx was originally built with a lion's head and pointed toward the constellation Leo when it was built (on one of the equinox days).  Supposedly it would have pointed toward a different constellation if built when the Egyptians claim. 

I would say some of the stuff people say on youtube is speculation and guesswork, but I don't see that (non-Christian) traditional views are really any better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »
One imagines property lines were even more hotly contested before the Industrial Revolution than they are today. Vastly more people were farming then, and the land was far less productive per acre.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 05:19:17 PM »
A rudimentary steam engine, the Aeolipile, was known to the Greeks 2,000 years ago, but was thought to be nothing but a novelty and they failed to recognize its potential.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
Lots of anachronisms that don't fit the narrative just get shuffled off to the oblivion of storage. The Antikythera Device, Piri Reis map, "Baghdad Battery"...
Everyone knows that prior to the European Renaissance humans were mostly retarded savages, particularly non-Europeans.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 10:43:06 PM »
Lots of anachronisms that don't fit the narrative just get shuffled off to the oblivion of storage. The Antikythera Device, Piri Reis map, "Baghdad Battery"...
Everyone knows that prior to the European Renaissance humans were mostly retarded savages, particularly non-Europeans.

That might have been true 50 years ago, but it's certainly not true anymore. These days, the best hook to get people to read/watch history content is to claim you have some secret "real history" that goes against the narrative. Or to suggest that Europeans were just barbarians or moral reprobates/monsters/oppressors compared to the rest of the world.

That battery is very well-known these days, and mainstream history treats the Viking discovery of the New World as settled fact. They're all for Asian or African discovery too, if they can find enough evidence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 11:10:12 PM »
In my reading of the Bagdad Battery, it was probably a clay jar for holding scrolls.  The "paper" decomposed and left behind the metal rod used as the scroll handle.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »
Maybe it was a prehistoric Galvani doing the original frog leg jumping experimet. :)

To me, they look like Galvanic cells, despite the lack of a connection to the tube.   And almost any ion-bearing solution (electrolyte will work.  Even the LeClanche cell (the common carbon-zinc "battery") uses ammonium chloride as an electrolyte.

Seems like a simpler explanation than the rotten documet storage notion.

Of course, there's always the oft-used shotgun explanation that it was a religious artifact.

That always works.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.