Author Topic: Question about the sneaky, "post-southern South"  (Read 774 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Question about the sneaky, "post-southern South"
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »
I'm reading me an article here, and it mentions in passing "the post-southern South, notably Virginia and Florida." Google is failing me, and so I turn to the vasty throngs of weirdos on the APS. What is this post-southern South? Has that sneaky, conniving region moved northward on us? What's going on?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Question about the sneaky, "post-southern South"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:23 PM »
I'm reading me an article here, and it mentions in passing "the post-southern South, notably Virginia and Florida." Google is failing me, and so I turn to the vasty throngs of weirdos on the APS. What is this post-southern South? Has that sneaky, conniving region moved northward on us? What's going on?

Florida has had its native population swamped by folk moving from the northeast and the de-industrialized midwest.  (native = lived there since before air conditioning became ubiquitous or descended from folk who lived there).  Two most common states of birth where I grew up in Florida were Michigan and NY State.  The newcomers hold the old Florida stock in contempt and have shouldered them aside.

Virginia has had something similar due to the influx of folk into northern Virginia who serve the Beast of fed.gov.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
What is this post-southern South? ..... What's going on?

https://vimeo.com/77345861
This happened, and things changed.

TLDNR
Yankees visit the south.
Damn Yankees stay.
Too many damn yankees in Fla and Va
7-11 was a part time job.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
What Roo and Tuco said.

Though I have only a mild accent and have lived abroad, I am southern to the core and and refuse to be reconstructed.

As far as I'm concerned, Northern Virginia is part of the Northeastern Media-Political Complex and Florida is part of the Caribbean.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »
Fum Noo Yawk and still got uh Noo Yawk axint, but ah think Ah'm Southrin to the core of mah li'l ole soul.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Fum Noo Yawk and still got uh Noo Yawk axint, but ah think Ah'm Southrin to the core of mah li'l ole soul.

Bless your heart.  :P

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 06:08:31 PM »
All right, hold it! That's enough heart blessin'!
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:43 PM »
Lived in the South all my life (NC, TN, all over VA).  VA is still pretty southern outside NoVA (where I currently live).  Get south of Fredericksburg or west of Manassas and it's a very different state than what you experience within 30 miles of DC.

Still, it's not "Southern" in the same way as NC, AL, GA, etc, nor was it ever.  It's not bad, it's just different. 

I don't know what "post Southern" means.  Sounds like a made-up term to justify an article where the author gets paid by the word.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
This is the only somewhat-relevant search result I've turned up.

http://lsupress.org/books/detail/the-postsouthern-sense-of-place-in-contemporary-fiction/

Since we have some Southrons here, and I don't really live in the South proper, I just thought I'd see if it was a term that somebody might know. I guess it's a bit obscure, though.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
Is it like the post-northern North? After all, ALL good southerners despise northern Yankees. There was a time (even when I was growing up in various parts of New England) when you could go to New England and be fairly well assured that you'd see a lot of New Englanders - possibly even Yankees (and I don't mean the baseball team).

Now? Back then, if you wanted to encounter Latinos you went to Los Angeles, Tucson, New Mexico or Texas. Today? Go to pretty much any McDonald's or Burger King anywhere in New England (other than the northern portions of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont). Not gas stations, though -- the Pakistanis have those staked out, along with the low-priced, "budget" hotels.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design