Author Topic: A darn cool video of bullet impacts  (Read 2716 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
A darn cool video of bullet impacts
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted before so I'll repost just in case. 

Outside of the water mark on the video, its pretty darn cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg&feature=player_embedded#

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: A darn cool video of bullet impacts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
Seen it before, but I still have NO IDEA how they got the pellets to hit the bullets mid-flight.

And the glass cracks spreading at 5000mph or whatever the number is, is almost cooler than the bullets.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
those are the guys with the slomo kalashnikov videos from awhile back
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
Outside of the water mark on the video, its pretty darn cool.

Well, that and the comments, which made my head hurt. They should have some kind of triple clickable warning before you can get to YouTube comments.

Are you sure you want to read the comments?
Are you really, REALLY sure? The average IQ is 57.
Are you absolutely sure? Please check the box stating you agree that YouTube is not responsible for your head exploding.

But yeah, the video is really cool. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
They must have been playing that music really fast for it to sound normal slowed down
OK, which one of you was this:lol:

1:46 was refered to, very cool shot.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »
1 million frames per second on a camera?

Wow.

"Light" moves at 186,000 miles per second, or 982,080,000 feet per second.  Hard to imagine the mechanical operation of a shutter, opening and closing a CCD to exposure, a million times a second.  That's the realm of microprocessor gates, not mechanical irises.  Or a system bus capable of reading the CCD results in full, at 1 million cycles a second.

At 1 megabyte per frame (I'm assuming no compression at these film speeds and an approximate 3 megapixel resolution), this camera fills a Terabyte drive in 1 second.

That's a terabyte of data that has to cross a system bus to a storage medium, every second.  And be written.  So that the next second can be recorded.

I bet this camera has a half-second or less of recording capability, which is all held in some amazing (and EXPENSIVE) RAM cache local to the camera.  I just don't see anything short of a RAID-0 array of SSD drives even attempting to keep up with this, and even the best SAN systems fall short.  Fastest reference I can find is 400MB/sec for a SAN.  In marketing "press releases," which means that is merely a temp burst rather than a constant stream.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
Damn, and me without my decoder ring...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
1 million frames per second on a camera?

Wow.

"Light" moves at 186,000 miles per second, or 982,080,000 feet per second.  Hard to imagine the mechanical operation of a shutter, opening and closing a CCD to exposure, a million times a second.  That's the realm of microprocessor gates, not mechanical irises.  Or a system bus capable of reading the CCD results in full, at 1 million cycles a second.

At 1 megabyte per frame (I'm assuming no compression at these film speeds and an approximate 3 megapixel resolution), this camera fills a Terabyte drive in 1 second.

That's a terabyte of data that has to cross a system bus to a storage medium, every second.  And be written.  So that the next second can be recorded.

I bet this camera has a half-second or less of recording capability, which is all held in some amazing (and EXPENSIVE) RAM cache local to the camera.  I just don't see anything short of a RAID-0 array of SSD drives even attempting to keep up with this, and even the best SAN systems fall short.  Fastest reference I can find is 400MB/sec for a SAN.  In marketing "press releases," which means that is merely a temp burst rather than a constant stream.

The CCD's or supporting chips can do some lossless, or low-loss compression etc. real-time, just as part of their normal functioning. So I think you can cut the storage requirements you estimate at by about half.

Keep in mind GHz clock rates are now common for IC's, so that's at least ten available cycles of processing per frame at 1M fps. More like 20 or 40 or even 50 cycles with 2, 4, and 5GHz speeds being common.

When you really start to look under the hood of what even common consumer imaging systems are capable of, in hardware, they're scary-good. Or just how many flops your average $250 gamer's video card does.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:33:27 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.