Author Topic: Curved TVs?  (Read 3941 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Curved TVs?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm due for a receiver upgrade. My Yamaha (HTR-5790) is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI connections so I have to switch video sources independent of sound. It also stumbles with the new Dolby DD+ encoding used by streaming services. Neither is enough to justify a couple hundred bucks for a new unit, but that doesn't stop me from wishing...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
A/V receivers?

I bought THIS ONE late last year for under $397 new. It works very well. I think it's been replaced with the "RX-A760" now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
How much do decent ones run? Maybe that's an option for me. Right now I'm using a soundbar and wireless woofer on the optical port. Or are there also good plain splitters / switches?

I bought a couple of these last year at under $200 each.  Very satisfied with them.  One is on a bedroom system, the other is serving in the family room until I get the go-ahead to upgrade a bit.  I have some Klipsch towers I want to run in there.  Once I do that, the one in the family room will replace an older Pioneer in the "Sitting Room".

Edited to add:

It appears that Amazon's unit does NOT have
Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration (MCACC)
The VSX-524-K features Pioneer's exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC), providing an optimized multi-channel listening experience by measuring every speaker's connection, noting its size and distance from the listening point, sound levels and timbre in order to calibrate, customize and maximize performance specifically for your room.

I find this feature highly useful.  It appears that the Monoprice unit (same model number!) DOES have it.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091901&p_id=14203&seq=1&format=2

https://smile.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-530-K-Receiver-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0141JVEHS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478572511&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+vsx-524-k
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:59:40 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.