Main Forums > The Roundtable

How can I tell if my '95 Altima is a "california" emissions vehicle?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Azrael256:
If your catalytic converter went out and only one indicator popped up, it's probably not a California car.  If twelve lights came on, two buzzers, a siren, and a mechanical sounding voice started howling, it might be.

K Frame:
"...voice started howling, it might be."

That was his daughter...

'That amounts to work

I was hoping for an easy, visual method."

JESUS! And you say that I'm lazy!

mtnbkr:

--- Quote from: Azrael256 ---If your catalytic converter went out and only one indicator popped up, it's probably not a California car.  If twelve lights came on, two buzzers, a siren, and a mechanical sounding voice started howling, it might be.The cat itself hasn't gone out, just the oxygen sensor.  Unfortunately, the socket the O2 sensor threads into is rusted to the point of worthless and JBWeld no longer works as a solution (it actually failed last winter).  Time to replace the Cat and the O2 sensor.  The CEL is only whining about the O2 sensor though.

Chris

Azrael256:
Is the O2 sensor in the cat's assembly somewhere?  Unless it stinks of rotten eggs, it's usually not in need of replacement.  I seem to recall Nissan putting their O2 sensor right at the neck of the exhaust manifold (although I may be thinking of Toyota...  that was some time ago), and the cat is way down the pipe toward the rear.

mtnbkr:
There are two O2 sensors, one at the manifold and one in the cat.  No rotten egg smell that I've noticed, but the rear O2 sensor is tripping the CEL and the O2 bung in the cat is rusted out.  That's why I had JBWeld holding the O2 sensor in place.  It worked for about 8 months.  

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version