Author Topic: Cool Crash Test Video  (Read 2227 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Cool Crash Test Video
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CU-k0XmLUk

This is a 2009 Chevy Malibu being crashed head-on into a 1959 Bel-Air. The 1959 did far worse than I would have expected. I hear all these stories about the thick steel of older cars and how great it is compared to the thin, stamped steel of today.

They don't make 'em like they used to. And I'm very, very glad.

The steel may be thinner now, but the cars are far safer.

But I'm mainly posting this because I thought it was cool.  :angel:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Cool Crash Test Video
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »
That test is not quite as advertised, as the two vehicles did not hit head on.  They were offset almost two feet, favoring the driver's side, from the look of the video.  IMO, that skews the data and the outcome of the test, and makes the claim of newer vehicles being safer invalid, as based on this test.

Also, I have never looked favorably on trashing old, antique vehicles of any kind just for publicity's sake.  It just sticks in my craw when it's done to make a movie or TV show, or for something like this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
How does the fact that it was an offset test invalidate the results?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
How does the fact that it was an offset test invalidate the results?

It was stated to be a head-on collision between two stock vehicles, motors still installed, etc.  That implies that a fair amount of the vehicles' resistance to collision forces is because of the motor installation.
Because the collision was offset, missing off to the side of each motor installation, that inserts variables into the test that are not being accounted for.  In the Bel-Air I would bet that the engine compartment is almost empty in the area where it was impacted by the Malibu.  Very little resistance to collision forces there, and that is probably why the passenger compartment on the driver's side of the Bel-Air was so badly damaged.

Having said that, it's possible the offset was not intended, and was instead an accident with the test setup.
But that still invalidates the results if it was intended to be a true head-on collision.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:24:18 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »
Racehorse said it was head-on.  The video says "offset" in the title.  Why would you think it was a mistake?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
It was stated to be a head-on collision between two stock vehicles, motors still installed, etc.

Where did you get this from? I see "Offset" in the title, but nowhere else does it say anything about what type of crash this was intended to be.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
Also, I have never looked favorably on trashing old, antique vehicles of any kind just for publicity's sake
Ditto!

I remember taking the Universal Studios tour in LA back in 1980. The tram passed a car carrier with three nice new red Trans Ams on it. The tour guide said "These are to be used in the next Smoky and the Bandit movie. By the end of production they will all be totally destroyed." The entire tram's worth of people let out a simultaneous and collective groan.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
Racehorse said it was head-on.  The video says "offset" in the title.  Why would you think it was a mistake?

You know what?  You're right.  Dammit, I hate it when that happens.  =D
It still is an apples to oranges test, though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:06:37 PM »
I see "Offset" in the title, but nowhere else does it say anything about what type of crash this was intended to be.

Sometimes, I see a pop-up at about ten or fifteen seconds in, that says the cars are intact with engines installed.  I still don't see how the test is apples-to-oranges. 

The Bel Air's passenger compartment appears to have gotten trashed, and has a full metal interior (so to speak).  The Malibu's passenger compartment appears to remain intact, and no doubt has air bags. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
Off set tests are the norm for head on crash testing these days.  The reason is (or should be) fairly obvious.  Most real world head-on collisions are "offset" becuase they are most often caused by one driver drifting over into oncoming traffic, or one drivier trying to dive to the shoulder to avoid the collision with the idiot passing on a double yellow, etc.  It's fairly rare to have a collision that's essentially squarely head on.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
sumpnz, you're killin' my contrarian groove here, man.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
You have to look at who paid for the test....  The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety....  Um, yeah, they have a little bias. 

Besides, anybody knows that a 59 Chevy Bel Air has only one speed, 75mph.  It would have ripped threw both cars like they were butter, killing both people.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
Yeah, I said it was head-on, not the video. Sorry for the inaccuracy. I actually would have assumed the Bel-Air would tear through the Malibu like butter. I was pretty surprised when it didn't.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:03:33 PM »
I actually would have assumed the Bel-Air would tear through the Malibu like butter. I was pretty surprised when it didn't.

Same here.

Interesting video for sure, but what a waste of a nice classic car.  =|

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
I actually would have assumed the Bel-Air would tear through the Malibu like butter. I was pretty surprised when it didn't.

I'm not.  IIRC the Bel-Air is a body on frame design, with the body being made of stamped sheet metal and so behind the pretty skin is mostly emtpy air  The Malibu is a unibody design, 50 some years newer than the Bel-Air with engeneering attention paid to crumple zones that absorb and disapate the energy of a collision so the passenger cabins remains intact.  You can see the difference in end results in the overhead shot of the video.  The Malibu looks like it gets the worst of the collision at first, the front end folding up while the hood of the Bel-Air remins mostly intact.  Then the windshield of the Bel-Air breaks and pops out of its frame as the passenger cabin is distorted and broken, while that the of Malibu ripples, but stays intact and in place.

My '72 Monte Carlo is of the same basic design as the Bel-Air in the noted video.  While it is, big, heavy, fast, great fun to drive and never fails to garner attention and smiles from those who see it, given my choice in a collision or even a hairy situation I'll take my daily driver  '06 Sentra.  It has the above noted crumple zones, front and side air bags, better handling and suspension than the Monte.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, newer vehicles are definitely far safer due to the energy dissipation built into the chassis. I love older cars and like having a bit of mass on my side for safety's sake, but all the mass in the world is useless if the impact is delivered directly to the occupants instead of being absorbed by the vehicle.

I thought it was really interesting watching 50 years of dust poofing out of the '59. Sad though. It looked like a nice, straight Bel Air otherwise.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:43:38 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB