Author Topic: Mistakes Happen  (Read 4208 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Mistakes Happen
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:51:46 AM »
I guess if you are shooting from a thousand yards you might have trouble determining the exact size of the game you are hunting, not to mention the fact that it looks a little different. shocked
  MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the cow was a coyote, so I shot it
Man defends shooting neighbors cow  says he thought it was a coyote
The Associated Press
updated 8:19 p.m. PT, Thurs., Nov. 22, 2007
COLFAX TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A man says he shot and killed a neighbor's cow after mistaking it for a coyote.

Authorities and the owner are skeptical.

The undersheriff in northern Michigan's Benzie County says he doesn't see how anyone could confuse a 1,400-pound, pregnant cow with a coyote, which typically weighs 20 to 45 pounds.

And anyway, shooting coyotes is illegal during deer-shooting season. Authorities asked the county prosecutor to bring charges.

The 42-year-old man told authorities he was out to shoot coyotes near his home Saturday when he killed the cow, Undersheriff Rory Heckman said. Heckman said the man then tried to drag the cow home.

"The part of his story he his holding to is he shot at a coyote. I don't know how he hit a several-thousand-pound cow mistaking it for a coyote," Heckman said.

The cow, named Hannah, had wandered away from her farm.

"My husband thought that he should go through some therapy looking at repeated pictures of cows and coyotes, because they look nothing alike," said owner DeAnn Mosher. "It didn't make any sense to me."

? 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21932270/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
? 2007 MSNBC.com

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Mistakes Happen
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
The shooter is an idiot.  A dumb, incompetent, blind idiot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
At least it had four legs, thank God he didn't kill someone.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »
Seems to me;

1. Pay for the cow.
2. Problem solved. 

Obviously something in this story doesn't jive. (Like he's a hamburger rustler) But I'm sure the neighbors and local law enforcement would keep an eye on this guy for the next couple years.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »
He would've been better off  to claim self defense.

"Honestly, Your Honor, when that beast came for me with fire in her eyes, I knew that it was either me or Elsie . . . "
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:23 AM »
If he just shot the cow he would be an idiot.

Once he started dragging it home, it exposed him as a thief.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
I wonder what the range was... If he thought it was a 'yote, then he probably thought it was a lot closer than it was... So the hold would be different...

But he's lying anyway...

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »
Someone I know who has a herd that grazes on land bordering forested area has taken to spraying COW on the side of their cows in nontoxic neon paint every hunting season, since several had been shot by apparently nearsighted hunters.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »
Someone I know who has a herd that grazes on land bordering forested area has taken to spraying COW on the side of their cows in nontoxic neon paint every hunting season, since several had been shot by apparently nearsighted hunters. 

Better do it to the dogs, then, too.    smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »

There was a farmer who did that to all of his animals: COW, HORSE, PIG, SHEEP, etc

Some dam-fool hunter shot a hole in his tractor.

It had JOHN DEERE painted on the side  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
A lady that lives a few miles south of us had her horse shot dead as it grazed.  She had even dyed it's tail and mane orange.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:29:18 PM »
franklin west va guy shot an airdale

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

There was a farmer who did that to all of his animals: COW, HORSE, PIG, SHEEP, etc

Some dam-fool hunter shot a hole in his tractor.

It had JOHN DEERE painted on the side  grin

You owe me a new keyboard. *narf*
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 02:17:32 AM »
I wonder how much of it is near-sightedness and how much of it is, "Well, I'm all dressed up and out here. I might as well kill something."

Tallpine... laugh cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:21:07 AM »
I wonder how much of it is near-sightedness and how much of it is, "Well, I'm all dressed up and out here. I might as well kill something."

Tallpine... laugh cheesy

Its "There's something brown over there.....kerpow!"
Scary that people refuse to properly identify thier targets.
Although in the case of the cow....I think he was hamburger rustling.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:32:15 AM »
A lady that lives a few miles south of us had her horse shot dead as it grazed.  She had even dyed it's tail and mane orange.
Funny you should mention a horse . . .

Some years back, I was looking for a place to hunt with my Uncle Bob, and I decided to stop by a ranch and ask for permission.

Uncle Bob told me the folks around here wouldn't allow strangers to hunt on their land - no way, no how.

But I figured, what the heck, it doesn't hurt to ask.

So I left Bob out in the pickup, walked up to the ranch house and rang the bell. I introduced myself to the old-timer who answered the door, and asked for permission to hunt.

He gave me kind of a funny look, and the silence dragged on . . . and on.

Finally, he spoke.

"Son" he said, "I normally don't let fellers hunt on my land, but since you stopped to ask, I'll let you hunt all season . . . if you do me one favor."

"Uh . . . OK, what can I do for you?"

"See that old horse out in the field? He's blind and lame, and needs to be put down . . . but I don't have the heart to do it myself, and the vet can't come out until next week. If you can shoot him right between the eyes so he doesn't suffer, I'd be much obliged."

I'm no horse killer, but I figured, what the heck, so I agreed.

As I went back to the truck, Uncle Bob was laughing, and said "Guy turned you away, right?"

I figured I'd have some fun, so I cussed a bit about the old coot and dug out my rifle.

Bob said "Hey, you can't kill a man for not letting you hunt his land!!"

So I said "No, but I for d@$# sure can kill his horse!" So I laid my rifle across the hood and nailed Ol' Dobbin right between the eyes.

I was congratulating myself on my joke and my marksmanship, when I heard two more shots behind me.

There's Uncle Bob with a smoking rifle . . . "And I got two of his cows! Lets get out of here!"  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 07:53:34 AM »
Some years back, I was looking for a place to hunt with my Uncle Bob, and I decided to stop by a ranch and ask for permission.

Uncle Bob told me the folks around here wouldn't allow strangers to hunt on their land - no way, no how.

But I figured, what the heck, it doesn't hurt to ask.

So I left Bob out in the pickup, walked up to the ranch house and rang the bell. I introduced myself to the old-timer who answered the door, and asked for permission to hunt.

He gave me kind of a funny look, and the silence dragged on . . . and on.

Finally, he spoke.

"Son" he said, "I normally don't let fellers hunt on my land, but since you stopped to ask, I'll let you hunt all season . . . if you do me one favor."

"Uh . . . OK, what can I do for you?"

"See that old horse out in the field? He's blind and lame, and needs to be put down . . . but I don't have the heart to do it myself, and the vet can't come out until next week. If you can shoot him right between the eyes so he doesn't suffer, I'd be much obliged."

I'm no horse killer, but I figured, what the heck, so I agreed.

As I went back to the truck, Uncle Bob was laughing, and said "Guy turned you away, right?"

I figured I'd have some fun, so I cussed a bit about the old coot and dug out my rifle.

Bob said "Hey, you can't kill a man for not letting you hunt his land!!"

So I said "No, but I for d@$# sure can kill his horse!" So I laid my rifle across the hood and nailed Ol' Dobbin right between the eyes.

I was congratulating myself on my joke and my marksmanship, when I heard two more shots behind me.

There's Uncle Bob with a smoking rifle . . . "And I got two of his cows! Lets get out of here!"  shocked

Shades of Jerry Clower.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »
"...Well shoot on up in here, one of us needs some relief..." (Jerry Clower)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »
Uncle Versey and Aunt Pet, and their 11 kids - Ardell, Burnell, Raynell, W.L., Lanell, Odell, Eudell, Marcelle, Claude, Newgene and Clovis.

Haaawwwwwww...!!  grin

Brad
-HankB

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
At long enough range, he could easily miss big enough to have actually aimed at a coyote and hit the cow instead.
D. R. ZINN

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »
"The coyote was attacking the cow, but jumped out of the way right when I shot, I swear.  I was just trying to save her."

"I wasn't stealing your cow.  When I saw that I hit it I panicked and figured I'd drag it over here and do the CPR and such."
For entertainment purposes only.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
it was a
cowyote
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »

Regarding your geographic region in particular...My father, who was born and raised on a dairy farm in central Maine tells of a funny captioned photo he saw in a "Grit" magazine in the 1950's.  A Jersey cow with "Cow" painted on it's side in three foot high letters, in the November issue. Funny enough for a central maniac to remember for 30 years, because mistaken identity cow shootings are so common in Maine. The culprits are commonly New York or Boston area hunters, who didn't have a proper hunting/wildlife education to identify wildlife from farm animals. We have this problem here in Texas too.

I think hunting is a great sport for urban people, if it's done properly. I'd love to see State "Fish and Wildlife" agencies address this problem with an education program that paired "new hunters" with "old farmers".The farmer gives a couple of days of his time, and teaches the new hunter what a deer (or other) looks like. He gains a predation control program on his farm. 
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »
Stand_watie,

With the right packaging and marketing, that's a money-making business.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 08:44:55 AM »
You know, in Houston, all one has to do is drive a few miles out of the metro area and there is plenty of land with a few cows for Ag exemption purposes.  There are also plenty of areas where you can see a deer.  Drive down some back roads at night.  IMO, if you live in Texas and don't know what a cow or a deer is, you aren't paying attention. 

You can get corrective lenses for near sightedness.  Binoculars have focus adjustment.  No excuse for bad vision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge