Author Topic: Mistakes Happen  (Read 4210 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mistakes Happen
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
IMO, if you live in Texas and don't know what a cow or a deer is, you aren't paying attention. 

Yeah, but the deer are so small, who can blame them for wanting to shoot something with meat on it?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 02:44:25 PM »
Stand_watie,

With the right packaging and marketing, that's a money-making business.

Do you mean this

I'd love to see State "Fish and Wildlife" agencies address this problem with an education program that paired "new hunters" with "old farmers"

... or painting "Cow" on cows?

If the first, I'm not an internet savvy sort of fellow, I'd think it would need to be internet based, and a national database to be profitable enough to support a person... anybody on this board who wants to run with it is welcome to my idea. As a couple of examples, my grandfather had to get a pest permit one summer, and shot something like thirty deer in one night, while my grandmother drove the Studebaker around the back forty. My dad has an annual winter problem with deer and rabbits chewing up his fruit trees and grapevines - I told him "Dad, you umpteen-millions nephews and grand-nephews that hunt and bowhunt, why don't you have one of them bring his beagles and shotgun over, and another to put a tree stand in your back field. That will take care of your problem"... He hasn't gotten around to it yet angry
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »
You know, in Houston, all one has to do is drive a few miles out of the metro area and there is plenty of land with a few cows for Ag exemption purposes.  There are also plenty of areas where you can see a deer.  Drive down some back roads at night.  IMO, if you live in Texas and don't know what a cow or a deer is, you aren't paying attention... 

Dallas as well. A lot of city people never leave the city though. That doesn't excuse them for hunting poorly, but it does sort of explain it.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:16 AM »
Everyone knows that when you steal a cow, you lead it to your barn with a carrot and THEN shoot it.
Dragging a dead cow is so dumb that you just have to believe the guy's story about the coyote.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
Never under-estimate the power of stupidity.

Stand_

I meant the educational program.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
. . .  My dad has an annual winter problem with deer and rabbits chewing up his fruit trees and grapevines - I told him "Dad, you umpteen-millions nephews and grand-nephews that hunt and bowhunt, why don't you have one of them bring his beagles and shotgun over, and another to put a tree stand in your back field. That will take care of your problem"... He hasn't gotten around to it yet angry
Maybe he's one of the guys who'd rather complain about a problem rather than solve it.

Or maybe he figures the deer and rabbits are less of a nuisance than umpteen-millions of kin hanging around . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain