Author Topic: Fall in weather deaths dents climate warnings  (Read 740 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Fall in weather deaths dents climate warnings
« on: December 02, 2007, 05:26:53 AM »
Fall in weather deaths dents climate warnings
David Smith
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2983816.ece

GREEN scientists have been accused of overstating the dangers of climate change by researchers who found that the number of people killed each year by weather-related disasters is falling.

Their report suggests that a central plank in the global warming argument  that it will result in a big increase in deaths from weather-related disasters  is undermined by the facts. It shows deaths in such disasters peaked in the 1920s and have been declining ever since.

Average annual deaths from weather-related events in the period 1990-2006  considered by scientists to be when global warming has been most intense  were down by 87% on the 1900-89 average. The mortality rate from catastrophes, measured in deaths per million people, dropped by 93%.

The report by the Civil Society Coalition on Climate Change, a grouping of 41 mainly free-market bodies, comes on the eve of an international meeting on climate change in Bali.

Indur Goklany, a US-based expert on weather-related catastrophes, charted global deaths through the 20th century from extreme weather events.

Compared with the peak rate of deaths from weather-related events in the 1920s of nearly 500,000 a year, the death toll during the period 2000-06 averaged 19,900. The United Nations has got the issues and their relative importance backward, Goklany said.

The number of deaths had fallen sharply because of better warning systems, improved flood defences and other measures. Poor countries remained most vulnerable.

Greenpeace attacked the International Policy Network, one of the Civil Society organisations, which is publishing the report in Britain.

The International Policy Network is known for being in the pay of the worlds biggest oil company, a spokesman said.

The network said: Funding for this project has come entirely from private individuals and foundations.

60mph winds blow balmy month away

High winds and rain are likely this weekend, ending the spell of unusually settled autumn weather.

Met Office forecasters say a large depression, which formed over the mid-Atlantic last week, will pass over Britain today.

The strongest winds will be felt over the south coast, with winds reaching 60mph and cloudy wet skies. The rest of Britain should be mainly dry with sunny spells for central and northern Scotland.

Tomorrow will also be unsettled, starting mainly dry but with further wet and windy weather expected.

The arrival of unsettled weather marks the end of one of the warmest and quietest Novembers in the weather records.

Goklany's full research report on climate change

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Fall in weather deaths dents climate warnings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »
Data does not matter to those with the One True Faith.  Data like, the year 1934 was the hottest on record, not 1998.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
I forget the year, but earlier in the 20th century weren't there a few years of really bad winters and winter storms?  I remember seeing it in the history books. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »
You know why I think there are fewer deaths related to weather now than then?  Better warning, better utilities, better public services, better health care.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Data like, the year 1934 was the hottest on record, not 1998.
No, it wasn't. There's a 'global' in AGW.
Thank you jefnvk.

Meanwhile, it must not be forgotten that cold weather in winter causes many more deaths than heat in summer, even in most subtropical regions, and measures to control cold-related deaths need to continue.
- http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/494582

Interesting. Rather undermines the beating stick that IPN has attempted to create. Not evidence that the whole issue will be a benefit though considering it is but one tiny piece of the puzzle.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also