Author Topic: Chavez Defeated in "Prez for Life" Vote  (Read 896 times)

CypherNinja

• friend
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Norton

• friend
Re: Chavez Defeated in "Prez for Life" Vote
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 01:38:09 AM »
What is truly frightening is that it was even a possibility that this loon could end up running the place for life...legally.  I have suspicions he will take steps to ensure that he stays in anyway.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:30:18 AM »
Well, it's just good to see a little more than half of all Venzuelans do not have their heads up where the sun don't shine...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:43:44 AM »
I'm surprised he hasn't accused the US of interfering yet.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:48:05 AM »
I'm surprised he hasn't accused the US of interfering yet.

Yet
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 06:19:57 AM »
He forgot to touch off a Reichstag Fire and blame it on the United States. It was a very successful move when Hitler did it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »
They voted, but does anyone think he's actually going anywhere?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:37 AM »
The referendum that was proposed is like a bond issue here - defeat it as many times as you like, but the bad guys can keep bringing it back and only have to win once to have their way.

Look for this issue to resurface before Hugo is "term limited" out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:06:40 AM »

He was re-elected Dec 3, 2006 with 63% of the vote.  Six year term of office.  So he will legally be in office until 2012 unless impeached or another attempted coup.  I think our government is leery about sponsoring another coup as the last one did not work out so well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.