Author Topic: Tile Leveling Systems?  (Read 349 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Tile Leveling Systems?
« on: April 22, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
Anyone here have experience with laying tile and willing to share it?  I'm getting ready to start laying tile in my shower, and it's the first time doing it for me.

Looking into tile leveling systems since the tile we're most likely going with is a 12x24 form factor and we're going with a staggered pattern which should product T-style joints.  Evidently the bigger your tile pieces, the more critical leveling is to eliminate lippage.  The leveling system I'm currently considering is the Spin Doctor / Vortex style levelers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EtoDV78MT0).  Reading user reviews it seems that this style is reported by some users to not break cleanly when time to remove the clamps and can require some annoying cleanup work on the plastic tabs if they protrude above the tile, but I'm wondering if that's a function of not having the clamp screwed down tight enough to create the right tension.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Tile Leveling Systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »
Biggest secret of getting level tile is making sure the subfloor is dead level first. Trying to use the mastic as a buffer to cover up a wonky subfloor is a job best left to pros, and even they have trouble with it.

Any type of spacer will work so long as you actually use it consistently. Never used the Vortex but it looks pretty slick. I've used the little generic spacers with good results. Main thing is to take your time and pay attention.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:00:55 AM »
I’ve laid tile from 2” to 24” but never used anything fancy. As stated, sub floor has to be level. (I have sanded plywood joints when needed). Use the right size notch trowel for the mastic. And check as you go with a good level or straightedge.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 12:35:46 PM »
Biggest secret of getting level tile is making sure the subfloor is dead level first.

This will be for the shower walls, not the floor.  The floor will be done with (unsure the correct term for it) those flexible mats of 12"x12" small connected tiles (like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/TILE-CONNECTION-Sliced-Pebble-Tile-Grey-Black-White-11-1-4-in-x-11-1-4-in-x-9-5mm-Honed-Pebble-Mosaic-Tile-9-61-sq-ft-case-xs3pabk/308170074), because the floor has a slope on all sides to the drain in the middle of the floor.  The fiberglass backer mat will make adapting to the slope to the drain fairly easy, I hope.  Leveling should be unnecessary for irregularly shaped sliced pebble tile like this, other than perhaps compressing each section into the thinset by using a piece of plywood to even the pressure out across the section.

I've completely removed the previous greenboard backing material on the walls and will be doing cementboard backer on all the walls.  assuming my studs have not warped, levelness should not be an issue.  I did have studs near the door suffer from water intrusion but I've cut those out and replaced with new lumber.

I've also read that mastic is bad to use for showers.  It's organic and not water resistant, and can contribute to mold growth later on if grout ever begins to fail.  I'm planning on using thinset.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 04:53:05 PM »
I used spin doctors when tiling my bathrooms and sunroom with 12x24 tiles. Tried to use them on my shower walls for 4x12 (I think) tiles and thought they were more trouble than they were worth. On the floor it did a good job leveling and spacing the big tiles. On the wall it kept pulling the tiles out of the mortar, plus took forever to place and tighten down.  Doing it by eye was much faster and did fine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.