Author Topic: I'm an idiot  (Read 8159 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: I'm an idiot
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »
I get to watch a friend of mine work herself to the bone to the tune of 60-70 hrs per week at two jobs to pay off her car and school payments. Which total up to about 750 a month. I feel bad knowing that i could pay her bills and my bills with just a little bit left over at the end of the month and I only work about 32 hrs a week.

Normally I'm not one for government mandates, but something about a lot of places only giving out part time positions and paying minimum wage which isn't a living wage by far makes me angry.

What? So a restaurant that operates barely on margin should pay full-time wages for every dishwasher, every busboy, every line cook, every wait staff?

Do you have any idea how little sense that makes?

She can TAKE CLASSES, even at home on the computer and get a better career if she wants! There's even free money to do that with!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »
I get to watch a friend of mine work herself to the bone to the tune of 60-70 hrs per week at two jobs to pay off her car and school payments. Which total up to about 750 a month. I feel bad knowing that i could pay her bills and my bills with just a little bit left over at the end of the month and I only work about 32 hrs a week.

Normally I'm not one for government mandates, but something about a lot of places only giving out part time positions and paying minimum wage which isn't a living wage by far makes me angry.

So lets increase minimum wage!
Oh, wait.  Joe Businessowner will now have to charge more for a Hamburger to cover the cost of payroll.  He might even do without an extra employee or two.  Now your dollar doesn't go as far, because Joe Businessowner is charging more for his product.  And at the grocery store, and thousands of other businesses that employ UNSKILLED workers. 
Oh, wait! Thats called inflation!
Duh.......didn't think about that now, did ya?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 11:49:59 PM »
I feel bad knowing that i could pay her bills and my bills with just a little bit left over at the end of the month and I only work about 32 hrs a week.

Then do it if it will make you feel better. It's called "charity." What we have now is called "armed robbery." (If you don't think it's armed robbery, try not paying your taxes and see who shows up at your home).

Do I want to help those less fortunate? Yes. Do I think that just handing them money is the solution? No. People place no value upon things they get for free or for which they haven't worked.

The welfare state was created to enslave people, not free them.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 11:52:46 PM »
I'm a big idiot too. =(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 12:23:28 AM »
Another big, fat, idiot here.

Yo.

And I've been known to be somewhat of a liberal on non-economic issues.  (don't tell anyone.)
When we were looking at houses, my wife REALLY liked these 250K+ houses.
"Honey, we can't afford those."
"But we're qualified for 300K, the banks wouldnt qualify us for more than we could afford!  That'd be stupid of them!"

She now understands my laughter at that moment.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 08:00:07 AM »
When we were looking at houses, my wife REALLY liked these 250K+ houses.
"Honey, we can't afford those."
"But we're qualified for 300K, the banks wouldnt qualify us for more than we could afford!  That'd be stupid of them!"

LOL. I had roughly the same conversation with my wife 8 years ago.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
As a young guy just starting out, this is incredibly depressing. I refuse to take .gov money I didn't earn (I've never applied for unemployment etc) and the damn taxes are killing me.  =(
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
As a young guy just starting out, this is incredibly depressing. I refuse to take .gov money I didn't earn (I've never applied for unemployment etc) and the damn taxes are killing me.  =(

How much are you paying (as a rate)?

I am legally considered a 'private subcontractor', so I get hit with VAT at 15.5%.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »

How much are you paying (as a rate)?

I am legally considered a 'private subcontractor', so I get hit with VAT at 15.5%.

I'm not sure, I try not to think about it too much. IIRC since I've started my apprenticeship I've made ~$18-20k and paid ~$3k in taxes. Not counting the very high sales tax in WA; we have no state income tax so sales tax is through the roof.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »

And yet, rather than help her yourself, you'd rather have the government take the money out of the pockets of others to help her? Thanks, but no thanks.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

... and beyond the other issues pointed out by the other posters, how is her bad choice of purchasing a car that requires significant payments a reason for me to support her?

I HAVEN'T purchased a car because I don't want to be faced with the payments. I am saving up a significant down payment (hopefully half) for my next vehicle purchase.

Why is it so many people think that individuals should not suffer for their own bad choices?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought