Author Topic: Religious Image On Condom Key Chains Angers Church  (Read 8133 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Religious Image On Condom Key Chains Angers Church
« on: January 13, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »
Religious Image On Condom Key Chains Angers Church

Catholic Priest Calls Key Chains Offensive

UPDATED: 10:25 am PST January 13, 2006

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Planned Parenthood of Connecticut is butting heads with the Catholic Church over new condom key chains.

Planned Parenthood's series of key chains, which are sold for $3 each, includes one of an American flag that reads, "Wear with pride," and another of the Statue of Liberty holding a condom instead of a torch.

Another features an altered image of Michelangelo's Creation of Adam, where you can you can see God's hand reaching out to Adam. This time, he's holding a condom, reported WVIT-TV in Hartford, Conn.

Judy Tabar, of Planned Parenthood, thinks everyone should have a condom.

"We work in faith communities all the time who feel very strongly about the message that we promote: prevention and promoting health and safety," Tabar said.

On the group's Web site, Tabar said in a statement that the packaging is designed to appeal to a wide range of people.

"We've had an avalanche of orders for these key chains and have needed to expand our capacity to keep up with the demand," the statement read.

But the Catholic Church is upset that those images are being used to sell condoms.

The Rev. William Holt, of the Church of Saint Mary's in New Haven, finds it terribly offensive.

"It contradicts everything the Catholic Church stands for and what God stands for," Holt said.

Among regular folks, the reviews are mixed.

Landon Hairgrove, of New Haven, said, "This is just awful."

But Nicole Kemper, of New Haven, said she would be surprised if teens even knew the image came from the Sistine Chapel.

"Either way, I think it's a great marketing strategy to promote safety and responsibility," she said.

Planned Parenthood said so many people were logging onto their Web site to look at the key chains that it crashed for several hours.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Religious Image On Condom Key Chains Angers Church
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
Thread, come forth!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:48 AM »
People who are not Catholic do things the Catholic Church disagrees with: film at 11.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:57:34 AM »
People who are not Catholic do things the Catholic Church disagrees with: film at 11.

That was a quick FTW.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:06 AM »
"It contradicts everything the Catholic Church stands for and what God stands for," Holt said.
How is that working out for y'all in Africa?  Oh yeah, I forgot -- the Catholic Church's position on contraception is immune to criticism for helping to spread HIV, because HIV is God's punishment. [popcorn]
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:44 AM »
I am offended that the Catholic Church is offended.  When will the TV reporters/camera crew be arriving to interview me?

But more importantly, does Planned Parenthood not understand that if you poke a hole in a condom to put it on a keychain that pretty much destroys the condom?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »
Judy Tabar, of Planned Parenthood, thinks everyone should have a condom.

There are so many jokes I could make about this.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »
How is that working out for y'all in Africa?  Oh yeah, I forgot -- the Catholic Church's position on contraception is immune to criticism for helping to spread HIV, because HIV is God's punishment risky & unwise behavior's easily foreseeable consequence. [popcorn]

Also, if the Roman catholics get the blame for discouraging condom use and their supposed utility for AIDS prevention, ought it not get the credit for promoting abstinence and its supposed utility for AIDS prevention?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »

People who are Roman Catholic do things the RCC disagrees with.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot -- the Catholic Church's position on contraception is immune to criticism for helping to spread HIV, because HIV is God's punishment.

Bend truth much?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
How is that working out for y'all in Africa?  Oh yeah, I forgot -- the Catholic Church's position on contraception is immune to criticism for helping to spread HIV, because HIV is God's punishment. [popcorn]

I guess because comdoms always work, much like abstinence huh?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
While I very much dislike the RCC as a whole (individual Catholics I take on an individual basis) blaming them for the spread of aids in Africa is silly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
Thread, come forth!
Geez, I don't even remember posting this one.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Thread, come forth!

Ok, NOW that's funny. I didn't realize you were pulling a Lazarus. (Ironically, my pastor preached on that very passage on Sunday.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
While I very much dislike the RCC as a whole (individual Catholics I take on an individual basis) blaming them for the spread of aids in Africa is silly.

Why yes, yes it is.

If this one doesn't get back on the tracks, I'll get my big ass fork out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »
Also, if the Roman catholics get the blame for discouraging condom use and their supposed utility for AIDS prevention, ought it not get the credit for promoting abstinence and its supposed utility for AIDS prevention?

Let's make with the logic here:

Condoms are safety devices. They are not 100% effective (nothing is), but they reduce the risk of actually getting AIDS by a great extent. (Studies say an 80% reduction of your chance to contract HIV occurs with average condom use over an extended period of time. Reponsible condom use could cut it further). They are also birth control.

The Catholics believe that all birth control is evil, so are condoms. How can you expect individuals who do not share this belief to condone the views of the church on the use of these safety devices/birth control pills?

Suppose the Orthodox Jews or Muslims were offended with a store offering bacon - this would be legitimate. But how can they, or anybody else, expect a Gentile to share their offense?

The opposition of the Church to condoms is not a point of universal morality. It's just a part of their specific religion. I wasn't Baptised. I don't regard the Pope as a source of moral authority.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
Is there anyone here who thinks that the folks at Planned Parenthood didn't know this was going to cause a controversy? They had to know and, if they didn't, they're idiots. Assuming they're not idiots, what exactly did they hope to achieve by having an image of the Statue of Liberty or God handing Adam a condom?

Yes, this is legal. So what? It seems like Catholicism is the only religion that can be mocked with impunity. Try putting an image of Allah with a condom on a keychain and see how long before your building turns to rubble.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
The Statue of Liberty is a religious symbol?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »
It's safe to offend Christians.

So I don't expect I'll see the Pope or any cardinals, archbishops, bishops, or priests issuing a fatwa calling for the death of the persons behind the offensive keychains, nor do I expect altar boys to be fitted with bomb-laden suicide belts to fan out across the land . . . and I don't suppose there will even be localized rioting.

Another features an altered image of Michelangelo's Creation of Adam, where you can you can see God's hand reaching out to Adam. This time, he's holding a condom . . .

In the spirit of fairness and diversity, let's see Planned Parenthood issue keychains of Allah handing Mohammed a condom . . . then the fun will begin!   [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
I think we need to take the famed "Mohammed with a bomb for a turban" cartoon, replace the bomb with a condom, and hand those out in the name of Planned Parenthood. Or would that be considered bombing an abortion clinic by indirect means?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
I think condom use has a higher chance of being accepted by almost everyone in Africa and working correctly than abstinence. Personally I would advocate both, but my position is not full abstinence. You could try and claim the some people are advocating a worse method of AIDS prevention due to their personal beliefs.

Oh yeah, I forgot -- the Catholic Church's position on contraception is immune to criticism for helping to spread HIV, because HIV is God's punishment.
So who is god punishing more, those who listen to the RCC, or those who listen to other groups that advocate something else to deal with people's sex drive, ignorance, and irresponsibility? My Google search did not find any statistics.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
I think condom use has a higher chance of being accepted by almost everyone in Africa and working correctly than abstinence.
In Africa they think a cure for AIDS is to have sex with a virgin baby. Good luck selling comdoms.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
In Africa they think a cure for AIDS is to have sex with a virgin baby. Good luck selling comdoms.
You didn't know that was the Catholic Churches fault?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
Ok, NOW that's funny. I didn't realize you were pulling a Lazarus.

No, the belated argument in a thread no one noticed four years ago; THAT's funny.   =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »

No, the belated argument in a thread no one noticed four years ago; THAT's funny.   =D

Ah.  I get it now.  Hey, look, shiney!
JD