Author Topic: Advice on 7.62x51 AR rifles  (Read 8153 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Advice on 7.62x51 AR rifles
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

A friend of mine is jonesing for an AR pattern rifle in 7.62x51, but doesn't know much on the subject.  I've never owned such a thing (both my ARs are 5.56), so I'm looking for advice:

- I've heard some ARs in this caliber have reliability issues.  Are these confined to specific makes/models? 

- Is there a particular configuration that is considered optimal for reliability?

- Any opinions on the Rock River Arms rifles?  Are there better choices in terms of accuracy and/or reliability without costing a whole lot more?

- What would be the advantage of a 7.62 AR vs. an FAL?  Disadvantages vs the FAL?

Thanks for your input.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Advice on 7.62x51 AR rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
AR is more accurate than the FAL.

AR has better modern/new industry support than the FAL.

AR is a "kitchen gunsmith" compatible platform with very few tools.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
The AR pattern, on average will be more accurate than a FAL.

Which AR-10/SR25 clone type has the "mojo" in terms of magazine cost, vs. accuracy, vs. prince etc. I'm unsure.

The very first AR pattern rifles were in 7.62x51 and did actually see some minor military acceptance too, such as with the Dutch, and a few other small nations. So the design is definitely up to it.

The FAL is a battle-proven rifle for sure, and AFAIK, has the widest adoption of any auto-loading military rifle save the AK/AKM. However it does have limited accuracy potential, unless you spend a LOT of money on getting it custom smithed up. Or maybe buy whatever DS Arms is selling these days as the DMR/Accuracy model.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
You do not need accuracy when firing the 7.62. It is large enough to flatten pachyderms with a near miss.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
Can I ask why in 7.62? I don't get having oddball AR's, when there is always something else designed  for the caliber.  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
Can I ask why in 7.62? I don't get having oddball AR's, when there is always something else designed  for the caliber.  =|

There isn't a compelling reason, really.  He likes the platform and considers the 5.56 round to be "too wimpy".  He doesn't want an M14/M1A, for reasons not entirely clear to me.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
FALs are big and heavy.  Built like a tank.  They'll shrug off conditions that will have you screaming for mommy.  Good ergonomics, all except the trigger pull.

ARs are more precise.  Better sights and triggers, better options for mounting optics.  Good ergonomics, all except the charging handle.  Pricier magazines, though I believe 308 AR mags are coming down in price, 308 PMags are $20 a pop.

I owned both, sold both, kept a Garand.  Sold the AR because the mags were too expensive (they were $80 at the time).  Sold the FAL because it was too heavy, and because I couldn't get an acceptable trigger pull from it.

The AR was an Armalite, and it didn't run right when I first got it.  Sent it back, they said the chamber was reamed too tight and corrected it.  Worked fine after that.

Can I ask why in 7.62? I don't get having oddball AR's, when there is always something else designed  for the caliber.  =|
Why not?  308 is bigger and more powerful, and potentially more useful.  Might be more convenient too, if you already have rifles in 308.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.

Does anyone have experience with the Rock River Arms ARs?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
308 ars were sketchy under the AWB as they had to use modified mags from other weapons

now that you can get a .308 pmag, things are much better

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG243/11

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »

I'm going to build an AR-10 in 6.5mm (.260 Rem) because I really like how a 6.5mm bullet performs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.

Does anyone have experience with the Rock River Arms ARs?

I can tell you that their 223 ARs are excellent.  No experience with their 308s.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
I'm going to build an AR-10 in 6.5mm (.260 Rem) because I really like how a 6.5mm bullet performs.

Well, whatever floats your boat. I still don't really get it. I'm just gonna chalk it up to a guy thing and leave it be.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
FWIW, the AR was originally designed to shoot 308.  They scaled it down to 223 for the military. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »

The replies above yours answered that pretty well. ARs are easier to customize than a lot of other platforms, and a lot of people like them for a lot of other reasons (judging by their ubiquity). One would expect people to desire that platform in more robust calibers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
what other auto loader can you buy one frame/receiver*, and have 4 or 5 different calibers of rifle? [popcorn] or for that matter a crossbow. [tinfoil]

*link just in case, someone wondered in not knowing what that is.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
Well, whatever floats your boat. I still don't really get it. I'm just gonna chalk it up to a guy thing and leave it be.

AR-10 is a .308 AR, the receiver had a bigger mag well for .308. A .260 rem is a necked down .308 case to 6.5mm.

Plus I don't know of any semi auto 260 rem except in a AR-10 platform.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
I've got next to no experience with AR-10's aside from firing a few shots from one the president of MSSA (Montana Shooting Sports Association) let me dink around with.  I couldn't hit crap with it (user error) but he was quite capable with it out to 400 yards.

I think it was a DPMS.  I see he posted some match results from 2009 and he was shooting a DPMS AR-10 in that so I guess my memory is correct.  http://www.marbut.com/Rifle/Match%20Results%2005_16_2009.html

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »
I can probably get you a good deal on at least a special accurate barrel. I've had dibs on one or so for years but never took to building me one. PM me.  =)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
have you seen the new colt at shot show?

its a dual lower 223 & 308
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
.308 magazines tend to be pretty expensive. We've considered making a run.
Blog under construction

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:37 AM »
If you need super-long-range accuracy from a .308, go with a bolt-gun. If you want a super-reliable semi-auto, get a FAL from DSA.

Ruger's Scout Rifle might give you the best of both worlds....

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Gunsite.htm
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
My only experience with an AR-10 is a friends DPMS.  I believe it shoots smoothly and accuracy is acceptable.  It was the cheapest version available when he got it.  One gripe at the time being picky on ammo.  It would choke on SA surplus ammo.  It does fine with new ammo and his reloads.  If magazine prices have come down, that eliminates my other complaint.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
BTW, anybody else that might want a special picked barrel right from the barrel factory, pm me.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!