Author Topic: Lost for Six Days in an Oregon Forest  (Read 8144 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lost for Six Days in an Oregon Forest
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
From what's mentioned in the story at least, there are so many things they did wrong. Glad they were found alive and reasonably well, but still...

I'm perplexed at the part where for days they heard helos but couldn't signal, but then on the sixth day "crawled" to a clearing to get the attention of airborne SAR. Why didn't they do this on the first day if the clearing was within "crawling" distance? Also, they were found 200 yards from ground searchers. I wonder whether the ground searchers were signaling at all?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/05/family-lost-for-6-days-found-alive-in-oregon-forest/?test=latestnews

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Lost for Six Days in an Oregon Forest
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Having done a lot of backpacking in exactly that sort of terrain here in the PNW, sound does not necessarily carry very far through the thick forest cover and underbrush with hilly terrain and ravines.  Gunshots, whistles and air horns do, but voices not so much.  One of the reasons why I have several whistles on me at any one time in the woods. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »
The thing that always gets me is just the sheer size of our forests out here.  Take a look at google maps and search for Gold Beach, where they were lost.  That's a lot of woods right there. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
I've backpacked in Northern CA coastal forest in the past, so understand how thick and wet the forests are. It sounds though, like these people just strolled right in with pretty much nothing on them. The article mentions searchers finding a soda can, as well as discarded buckets and clothing (why?). I would be interested to see a list of exactly what they had on them when they went for the walk. Even just a couple of space blankets and/or a trash bag or two could have prevented the frostbite.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
I've backpacked in Northern CA coastal forest in the past, so understand how thick and wet the forests are. It sounds though, like these people just strolled right in with pretty much nothing on them. The article mentions searchers finding a soda can, as well as discarded buckets and clothing (why?). I would be interested to see a list of exactly what they had on them when they went for the walk. Even just a couple of space blankets and/or a trash bag or two could have prevented the frostbite.

Or a g d GPS with spare batteries, and a back up compass with map.

I mean, *expletive deleted*it.  Even just a compass, with an idea of the direction you left the road from....something is better than being this damn stupid.
Darwin, thwarted again.

:facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
They probably had the buckets for the mushrooms they were hunting.  They were certainly underequipped for venturing into that type of area.  Looking at the pictures, I see aging flower children.

Another more local story here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Having done a lot of backpacking in exactly that sort of terrain here in the PNW, sound does not necessarily carry very far through the thick forest cover and underbrush with hilly terrain and ravines.  Gunshots, whistles and air horns do, but voices not so much.  One of the reasons why I have several whistles on me at any one time in the woods. 
Yeah, 200 yards is a long way in thick brush.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »
Well anyways, nice shirt for article photo.  :laugh:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
It is a good practice to always carry the "Ten Essentials". Doesn't take up much room, could fit in your pockets if need be.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/ten+essentials.html
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
What Physics said about the forests here is correct. Vast, thick, wet and they swallow trails quickly, because stuff grows here at a phenomenal rate. That said, they should have known better to take some gear with them. I won't even hike the county parks without basic equipment in case of an unintentional overnight stay.
Hi.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Darwin, thwarted again.

The real tragedy of the story.
 ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
It is a good practice to always carry the "Ten Essentials". Doesn't take up much room, could fit in your pockets if need be.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/ten+essentials.html

A basic knife should have at least 1 foldout blade (more likely 2), 1 or 2 flathead screwdrivers, a can opener and (though some people will call this a luxury) a pair of foldout scissors.

That doesn't sound so basic anymore.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Never liked Swiss Army knives...
The blades were too flimsy to be practical to use and the other tools were just too tiny.
I've always preferred to carry a proper multi tool and separate knife.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
I got one as a service anniversary gift a few years ago, I carry it in my hunting belt pack as a back up to a larger fixed blade belt knife.

Samuel Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
They're really cool and nice to have...I just never found much use for them. 

Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
Pretty basic really for $32.00.
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/do-it-yourself/swiss-army-super-tinker

That's the one I bought for myself a couple weeks ago.

Never liked Swiss Army knives...
The blades were too flimsy to be practical to use and the other tools were just too tiny.
I've always preferred to carry a proper multi tool and separate knife.

They're small enough not to scare people.  Most people who aren't phobic.

I find them genuinely useful.  The only thing it lacks over my Gerber tool is a decent pliers.  I have a Benchmade sharp and pointy clipped to another pocket.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Well anyways, nice shirt for article photo.  :laugh:

Does anyone else think her face looks a little odd?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
They updated the photo to something more recent it appears.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »

That doesn't sound so basic anymore.  =|

It's either a basic scout knife, or a very basic Swiss Army knife.

Camp knife:

Scout knife:

Basic Swiss Army Knife:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
http://leatherman.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/29517/Leatherman-Squirt-PS4-Multi-Tools.html

I've got an older version of this that doesn't have the scissors.  It is small enough not to notice in the pocket.  The pliers, blade, and flat screw driver head come in handy quite often at work. 

I've got a heavier Gerber that actually has locking blades and tools. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
^^^^ The factory outlet store sells these tools for more than from other vendors.  And in some cases significantly more.  So much for a factory outlet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
Good to know.  That was just the first link that popped up.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »
Isn't it a little early for most mushrooms, esp the morels that most people in that area search for. I would bet they were looking for the ones that have a reddish orange cap with white spots on it. Just a guess from looking at the pics.  =|

bob

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
In the article I saw, the family was planning to eat their dog. http://www.lebanon-express.com/news/state-and-regional/mushroom-pickers-lost-hope-considered-eating-dog/article_4aebfa43-6fc1-5b26-a7bd-3b149676d9ac.html

After only a couple days they're prepared to eat Fido? Really?
They spent the nights huddled in a hollow log and considered sacrificing their pit bull, Jesse, for food.
"She's that good a dog, she'd have done it, too," Conne said.

And clearly they've never watched Dual Survival either:
The Connes spent the first night in rain, sheltering under a pile of brush. The second day, they built a lean-to, but it fell down. Trying to find their way out, they discovered a hollow log they could all three squeeze into, and they stayed there, covering the opening with bark and hiking downhill to a creek to fill plastic bags with water. When it rained, they tried to plug the leaks with bits of wood.
"It was pretty tight in there," Dan Conne said. "I'm sure a bear would have been real comfortable in there."
They were never able to start a fire, having no matches or lighters.
"Every other time we been out there, every one of us had lighters, except this time," Dan Conne said. "Rubbing sticks together? That don't work. Slamming rocks together? Only on TV.

Another example of a humans who should not have bred.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe