Author Topic: Movie gun gaffes  (Read 8153 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Movie gun gaffes
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
I know this is a subject that's been beaten to death, but in the last several nights I've seen some movies in which characters handle guns in some unusual ways.

In one movie ("The Brave One"), the character holds the gun with the weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, with the weak hand above and covering the strong hand. That's all well and good, except that the gun is a revolver, and the weak hand is over the cylinder gap.

In another movie, a police officer is moving through a darkened building, holding a flashlight in one hand and Glock in the other. The usual method is for the gun hand to rest on the flashlight hand or wrist, but in this case the cop is holding the flashlight on top of the gun, over the ejection port. (Maybe it's a trick way to catch brass before it goes flying).

In Kevin Kostner's "The Untouchables", Elliott Ness holds his toddler daughter in his arms, with his 1911 pointed at the back of her head and his finger on the trigger.

In the movie "Street Kings", Keaneu Reeves wakes up with his clothes on, hung over. He feels around under the blanket, and finds his 1911. He does a chamber check, sees the chambered round, then moves the slide back forward. He then inserts the full magazine that was lying beside the pistol. Why remove the magazine when there's a round in the chamber?

In another movie, the actor points the barrel of his revolver up, swings open the cylinder, then lowers the barrel and snaps the cylinder closed. No rounds fall out of the cylinder, but in the last shot the cylinder is loaded.

In "The Shooter", Kate Mara picks up Ned Beatty's polished Beretta after he's been disarmed. She then fires four shots into her assailant before the pistol goes to slide lock. Who carries a gun with just four rounds in it?

Just a few examples, and I could go on forever. I wonder if movie producers would use volunteers as weapons advisors?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Movie gun gaffes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »

In the movie "Street Kings", Keaneu Reeves wakes up with his clothes on, hung over. He feels around under the blanket, and finds his 1911. He does a chamber check, sees the chambered round, then moves the slide back forward. He then inserts the full magazine that was lying beside the pistol. Why remove the magazine when there's a round in the chamber?

Just saw something similar while rewatching "Road to Perdition" last night. Hanks picks up his 1911, racks the slide, then inserts a magazine in it and engages the thumb safety.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
On the other side of the coin, movies like Way of the Gun show what happens when hollyweird lets the gun advisors have a lot of leeway.

The one thing that makes me insane in TV and movies is when the entry team or tac team all has on head gear, helmets, optics on their weapons but the main character doesn't have on a helmet nor optics.  Gotta be able to see that million dollar mug, huh?  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
I was flipping the channels yesterday and saw a silly made for TV movie on SYFY about mutant alligators or something.  The female Conservation Officer was in the back of a jeep shooting a rather large revolver at the giant lizard that was chasing them.  She fired at least 14 shots without reloading.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
I always  ;/ when they can tell just by looking at a bullet hole whether it was made by a .38 or a 9mm or a .357.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »
I always   when they can tell just by looking at a bullet hole whether it was made by a .38 or a 9mm or a .357.

That's because they use special vernier calipers that are only sold to LEO.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
That's because they use special vernier calipers that are only sold to LEO.

Implanted in their eyeballs  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
One that immediately comes to mind is "Stitch Hessian" in the Firefly episode "Jaynestown". His operation of the shotgun throughout the episode is just silly, i.e. points it at Mal and you hear the slide rack sound though he never touches the slide. Dramatic effect, I suppose. Zoe also on occasion throughout the series cycles the action on her mare's leg for no reason. Same silly dramatic effect.

Lots of others. 
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
In "The Shooter", Kate Mara picks up Ned Beatty's polished Beretta after he's been disarmed. She then fires four shots into her assailant before the pistol goes to slide lock. Who carries a gun with just four rounds in it?
The answer to that is "Actors in a movie with a liability-conscious prop master". They load only the number of rounds needed for the scene because the name "Jon-Erik Hexum" keeps them up at night.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Gawd, I've given up "cataloging" movie gun gaffes.  They barely elicit a slight grin from me.  But I did notice the micrometer-click eyeballs on that .38/.357/9mm bullet hole item recently. 

I guess the propmaster keeps an assortment of these around, sorted by caliber:

http://www.pimall.com/nais/bulletholes.html

I use them on my computer.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
Some of the odd gun flaws are actually continuity flaws, which is pretty commen across the board with any props, sets and coustumes. I'm guessing the magically loaded revolver is one, someone shot the scene and forgot to load it. Later, it's loaded because someone remembered to load it.

One CSI:NY episode had me cheering for a whole minute before they screwed it up. The bad guy has knocked the detective out and when she comes too he's sitting across from her, but he's left her Glock on the floor within her reach. When she grabs it, he pulls her magizine out from behind his back and starts taunting her with it.
"You know, everyone forgets, there's one round in the chamber." and shoots him. But its a nonfatal hit, and they commence fighting on the floor. She manages to whip around and grab her magizine and loads it into her Glock, slamming the slide shut just in time to unload into him before he can bash her head in.
I was cheering right up until she hit the slide release... *sigh* yep, this Glock of hers will slide lock without an empty mag.
It's a minor flaw, as far as hollywood goes, but it started off so promising. I don't know how many times I've seen the "without magazine gun can have no bang!" flaw.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
A lot of it is ignorance on the part of actors and directors but...movies and TV are up-close visual mediums so a lot of the things like sliding mags in and out or opening and spinning revolver cylinders are done to keep the audiences' eyeballs involved with what is going on an otherwise static shot.

That though, is a poor excuse as audiences should be able to go a few moments without needing something happening.

There is that saying that if, in a play, you show a gun in the first act it better damn well go off in the third act.  This excessive gun handling is part of that philosophy. It's the directors way of saying "See this gun? This is important! Pay attention!" 

They do the same thing with swords. How many times in a movie where swords are main arms do we see the characters slide them in and out of their sheaths or hold them up to the light as the camera angle catches the wielder's reflection in the metal?

Or when a small time criminal takes a knife out and the light just hits it so there's a perfect glint off the metal? Or he rubs it along a thumb, or twirls about in his hand? Its all in the same category of "increasing the drama".

Its the same with the Foley artists and sound effects people  addding the clickclickclick sound to spinning revolver cylinders or the sound of a GLOCK's magic, invisible hammer being pulled back.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
What befuddles me is why don't writers use actual gun operation and limitations as part of the drama ?

And why - if you're writing a crime and police drama - a writer doesn't bother to educate him/herself about the basics of the weapons they are writing about ?

I suppose anyone who knows even a bit about medical forensics is equally  ;/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »
One that immediately comes to mind is "Stitch Hessian" in the Firefly episode "Jaynestown". His operation of the shotgun throughout the episode is just silly, i.e. points it at Mal and you hear the slide rack sound though he never touches the slide. Dramatic effect, I suppose. Zoe also on occasion throughout the series cycles the action on her mare's leg for no reason. Same silly dramatic effect.

Lots of others. 

How do these firearms work, exactly? I don't think it's ever explained, so how can you tell what they're doing, or what the sound effects indicate?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
Those electronic sounds that the Firefly 'verse guns make is puzzling.

I always rationalized it as recoil dampers or perhaps a system in the chamber that makes it so that any ammo of the (proper caliber or even slightly smaller) will go off or be safely ejected. This being due to the likelihood of ammo quality being at different levels in different places so gun makers adapted so that their guns could be used even with poor quality ammo.

However what person, knowing that they get into many gunfights due to the nature of their business, wants a gun that makes sounds that can easily compromise their position?

Though from the POV of Whedon and the others its all just a way to yell "This is the future!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
Tallpine, the producers of "Shooter" went to great lengths to have weapons advisors so that gun issues were as accurate as possible. (The book was very well researched, or so a maker of custom 1000-yard rifles tells me). The scene with Kate Mara makes me wonder if the advisors were at lunch.

In the movie "Goodfellas", Karen Hill sits on top of a sleeping Henry Hill, and points a S&W snubbie at him. As the camera alternates from closeup to side view to front view to side again (and so on), the gun changes from blued to stainless several times. It's not the lighting, it's two different revolvers. Ooops. So much for the continuity assistant.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »
Those edits could have been filmed days or weeks after the main shots and the same gun might not have been available. Still, though...

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »

How do these firearms work, exactly? I don't think it's ever explained, so how can you tell what they're doing, or what the sound effects indicate?
Considered that, and I'll go along with it up to a point. Mal's handgun, Jayne's "Vera", the Allied "stun rifle", all seem to have unconventional manners of operation.

Zoe's weapon and Stitch's shotgun...bit too much of a stretch for me.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
Open Range, in other respects a great movie, has Costner fanning his SAA at least 9 times into a baddie.  Damnit.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
In one of the scenes of the obscure  Woodie Allen over dubbed Japanese movie "What's Up Tiger Lilly" he makes fun of gun errors when during a shoot out on an old boat one character says something like '...watch me shoot 10 times and get 11 guys.'
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
What befuddles me is why don't writers use actual gun operation and limitations as part of the drama ?

And why - if you're writing a crime and police drama - a writer doesn't bother to educate him/herself about the basics of the weapons they are writing about ?

I suppose anyone who knows even a bit about medical forensics is equally  ;/

Well, you know they do it with horses. Remember, according to Seabiscuit, the movie, War Adimeral was 16 hands high.
I can let most gun/horse stuff go, based on the same principles that Warren said, and anything with futeristic or fantasy elements can do whatever, but sometimes it just gets annoyingly stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
Open Range, in other respects a great movie, has Costner fanning his SAA at least 9 times into a baddie.  Damnit.
Watched it last night.  Starting with Costner's opening shot I count 16 on-camera rounds out of his pistol before he switches over to the rifle. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:01 AM »
Well, you can continuously-fire an SAA if you leave the loading gate open, half-cock it between shots, eject the empty and stick in a fresh cartridge, and keep firing thataway, but it's a royal pain in the tuchas.  And it works better if you're left-handed.  I don't think this would work with a modern SA, but I suppose it would be practical if you're well-practiced and in dire straits and stuck with only an SAA.

Now watch, some movie/TV writer will pick up on this and soon you'll see someone doing this on the screen.

PM me for where to send the money for this idea.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:35:34 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »
I still don't think anyone has answered the question in the OP: which movie had the giraffes with guns?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
I still don't think anyone has answered the question in the OP: which movie had the giraffes with guns?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/42614/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-giraffes
"It's good, though..."