Author Topic: Longest you've ever driven  (Read 8137 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Longest you've ever driven
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 02:14:30 AM »
Dallas to Seattle, and back a week later.  All told, 4500 miles round trip.  Never doing that again.

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 04:58:34 AM »
From BWI airport in MD (we took a rental car since none of us had a car that could make it) to Orlando and back, 2036 miles in 48 hours.  One of our friends had gotten a job as an engineer at Disney World so we (3 friends, so we'd have 2 sleeping, 2 driving) followed her van down there Friday night/Sat morning, ate dinner at Universal Studios, and left for Maryland at daybreak on Sunday.

Kharn

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 05:11:12 AM »
Longest I have driven would be Waterloo, Iowa to Gillette WY 785 miles in 10 hours and change. I spent 27 hours in a plane and train from Waterloo, IA to Poznan, Poland
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sean Smith

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 05:44:01 AM »
Warwick, Rhode Island to Fort Huachuca, Arizona.  One-way trip of about 2,700 miles.  And I'd just gotten out of the hospital after being in a coma for a week.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2005, 06:20:24 AM »
Beaumont, Texas to Moab, Utah.  23 hours no stopping.  About 1300 miles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 06:26:41 AM »
What's the longest road trip you've ever made?
When I was 13 or so my parents took me "out west." Spent a month or so on the road in a motor home. Don't know how far but we went from Detroit to California via a southern route and California to Detroit via a northern route. Some points of interest, the Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Redwood Forest, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Mount Rushmore, etc. God I hated having to go on that trip. My older sister got to stay home. In retrospect it was one of the greatest gifts my parents will ever give me.

Ok, are far as driving goes, a buddy and I drove to Ft. Davis TX from Detroit. Big drive. Almost half of it was spent driving in TX. Big state.
Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

griz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2005, 09:59:01 AM »
Barbara, 75 miles to work one way! I thought my commute was long, but it's less than 50, unless the bridge is stuck open rolleyes

Not the longest, but my most aggravating trip took about 550 miles to go 350 miles from where we started. Never fall asleep when the driver "thinks" she knows which direction east is.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2005, 11:23:05 AM »
Depends on what you mean, are we talking overall trips or single runs?

Longest overall trip was a little route through the midwest I took in Jan 2000 in my old Tbird. 10 days, something like 2500 miles from knoxville to des moines, up to minneapolis, over to indianapolis.

Longest single run is a long story Smiley

Ok... I bought a car online to use for parts, a 1985 Chrysler lebaron T1 (2.2 turbo engine is what I was after). Well, it was in Florida, I was in Tennessee. I was going to take a trip to see some friends in Atlanta one weekend anyways, and a friend of mine was in Miami with his massive truck, so we wrangled together a road trip out of it and I'd meet him in florida, rent a dolly, and haul it back to TN (he lived up here too).

Ok, I was driving a junker at the time... now, the above Tbird had 180,000 miles on it but was solid. This... this was a '91 shadow with almost 100K, but had been thrashed within inches of it's life by a previous owner. Flooded, too, so there's no interior panels, no carpet, just bare metal. No air conditioning either. Loud as heck but liveable.

halfway to atlanta louder got LOUD. The EGR exhaust crossover hose unbolted itself and fell off... meaning direct exhaust leak underhood. Whoops, I'm now driving with all 4 windows down the entire trip. Ok, no big deal, it's mild.

So the trip goes Atlanta, Zephyr hills, Knoxville. alright. We hook te car up and head on the highway and immediately I notice two things. One, bud's truck is geared to redline at 75mph. Two, i've got all my windows down and I'm following a truck with a hopped up cummins diesel spinning at right around 3800rpm. I think i got more exhaust from the truck than my own leak!

that was the longest THIRTY FOUR HOURS of my driving career Smiley

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2005, 04:52:15 PM »
I guess the longest quick run I've done was from Terlingua to Denver.  It's 900 miles, and I made it in right at 12 hours.  IROCs are nice for cross-country.  I kept mumbling about putting a "real" motor in it, but never found the round tuit.

I did the 77 miles from the south edge of Alpine to Beautiful Downtown Study Butte in 44 minutes, which ain't bad.

Art

"Life begins at 180."
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

P95Carry

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »
I did the 77 miles from the south edge of Alpine to Beautiful Downtown Study Butte in 44 minutes, which ain't bad.
Ahem - Art - the ''ton up'' kid :D:D
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2005, 10:42:19 PM »
My '65 Buick Wildcat had a 401 , outrun most things but a gas station. Met up with a fellow at the gas station in a new Caddy, just as one starts south on 59. This about 3 am, nice night for driving...Fella said " where ya headed?"  Brunette GF answered " Houston". Fella said "keep up and I'll run front door."  Buick's had a dial on the speedometer, set it on a speed and if you went over that speed, most annoying buzzer would sound- wouldn't stop until you slowed.  I turned it all the way it would go - 85mph.

Kept noticing the diagonal lines going across the hwy, had to do something - buzzer was driving me and my GF nuts, speedometer was pegged, it went to 120. " We gotta do something before we go deaf"-GF said,  8 track tape was cranked and still the buzzer was overheard  . So I flashed my headlights , Caddy pulled over , " I got to thinking you might have that buzzer feature, I had one of those before I went Caddy...we pulled the fuse, and off went - no buzzer. Arrived in Houston at my Uncle's...a "bit" sooner than expected. He informed me the diagonal lines were for  figuring one's speed by air..." Son way I figure it ...you made too good a time, you beat my time on the same route and I know what I was doing..."

---

Headed to Little Rock from Memphis, 142 miles. Had made that run a number of times, just have to watch Forest City and Brinkley. Still 1.5 hrs is "doable", has been so before.  Still made it in 1.5 hrs,one time - if I don't count the 1hr the bright yellow Chevelle, with black racing stripes, 393, Hurst 4 speed spent behind a barn off I40 around Hazen...I thought them blue lights would never stop running up and down the darn Interstate.

I guess the State boys didn't get the memo about me and mine waiting till everyone left the Blues , BBQ , and headed back at 1- 2 am. We caught the late late night live bands, ate again at IHOP or some such, left at 3-4am the State boys were supposed to be in getting all that paperwork done before shift change...I mean the whole idea was to get back before the sun started to rise...hated driving back with the sun in my eyes...*grin*

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2005, 12:56:51 AM »
Minnesota to Eastern Pennsylvania plus six hours of additional driving after I got to Eastern PA.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Marshall

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2005, 05:41:07 AM »
Tulsa, Oklahoma to Billings, Montana........1238 miles
Marshall

thorn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2005, 01:08:29 PM »
hitching, driving , or on the bus?

hitchiked- Eugene to SF, then after a break, to central Florida, then to Key west.

also from Boulder to SF- on the FIFTY! had to do it, hitch the "lonliest road in America"
about 1500 more miles total on other routes

DRiving= oh boy. NY down to FL repeatedly. then on Dead tours- here's a good one-
NY- SC up and out to Chicago, back to NY- 7 cities in ~14 days

SF to Chicago,  VA, then NY (4 cities ten days)

the west coast, up and down. twice. SF to vegas. vegas to seattle.
back down the coast.

crossed the US on GRayhound- SIX times!!! ARGH! dont do it! i have flown the last few times i went to NY.

thats most of the major trips
OH DUH= how i got used to it- every summer growing up my family drove 2 days each way from NY to nova scotia Canada

toro

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2005, 02:25:56 AM »
How do you stay awake?

Most Auto and motorcycle accidents and deaths are caused by people falling asleep.  Be careful.

Mrs. Toro

========================================
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2005, 05:41:55 AM »
I may not be the winner, but I'm at least in the top three. Wilmington, NC to Camp Pendleton, CA straight through, alone. About 36 hours, and only one speeding ticket.
D. R. ZINN

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »
Central Minnesota to Broken Bow OK, around 950 miles.  Stopped 4 times for gas/food/relief.

Ryan

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2005, 06:58:55 PM »
Solo - ~770 miles from Ft. Polk, LA to Morgantown, WV.  Several times, and back.

With another driver, Detroit area to San Diego, CA,  several times.  Currently in Oklahoma City on (hopefully) the last (4th) trip.  2600 to 3000 miles depending on route.  Did 535 miles today.
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2005, 11:01:21 PM »
I've driven for 17 hours, while only making it ~120 miles by bed time from where I woke up that morning!
I've ridden 1,500 miles in 20 hours, that was alot of fun.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

thorn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2005, 08:46:22 PM »
Quote from: toro
How do you stay awake?
no kidding. on one long trip, i fell asleep. THANK GOD for the gravelly shoulder, it woke me right up, and we pulled off asap.

but out WEst- driving the VW bus up and down 5 - i would sleep all the time. well sorta- with a VW bus, the flat steering wheel, you cna really lean over and rest on your elbows- go slow, drive stragiht, BOTT's DOTS! the bumps in the lane lines, keep you in line. ha ha anyone freaking out yet at the sight of hippies rolling up the freeway - ASleep?. yeha i did it a bunch. there would be a passenger watching out, and i wasnt really asleep but i sure would clsoe my eyes, straight road, nothing but desert. ...............

Smoke

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2005, 03:44:30 AM »
I'll never compete with some of you guys....but:

Bosque County to Colorado Springs is 12 hours (without having to worry about tickets...can be shortened up some...)  Have done that enough to do it blindfolded.
I can get to any point in Colorado in one straight drive, passengers slow me up.

Once went from Ft. Worth to Ft. Lauderdale, slept three hours and came back. (had a extra driver to swap with)

Drove from Bosque County to Midland (5 hours) and back pulling a trailer (loaded, 8 hours) 2nd worst trip of my life.

Bosque County to El Paso, spent the night, came back the next day.  Driving a 1982 Chevrolet pickup, AM radio, no A/C, pulling a 24ft gooseneck with no brakes, few lights and no plates.  Worst trip of my life.

When in college as part of the curriculum we took 5 week long road trips (field trips).  7 people in a Suburban.
We would ususally have to tour a ranch around 6:00 in the morning, drive all day to the next stop (often was fed supper at the evening stop) and cover a few miles before bunking up for the night.   Longest straight shot I remember was leaving Alta Verde Feedyard in Eagle Pass  and going straight throught to Ft. Worth.....that was farther than even the Kansas trip.

As a kid did the "Grizzwalds go to DC" trip and the "Grizzwalds go to Lake Tahoe".  Stationwagon broke down 150 miles away from Lake Tahoe.  Had to sell it for scrap.  Took my Uncles Stationwagon and drove it back.  Sold it for him in TX.

Done a bunch of around the state trips in college years.  Had a few long hauls in my cattle showing years.  When (If) I retire, I'd like to drive to Alaska.  Going to have to leave the wife at home though....she doesn't travel well in the car.

Smoke

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2005, 12:15:21 PM »
This last Molnday I left Thomasville, GA, around 8:30AM CDT and made it to Brookshire, Tx, around midnight.  Towed a UHaul.  About 800 miles.  Got on in here to Terlingua Tuesday PM...

How to stay awake?  Laughing my tail off, knowing I didn't have to read those posts in Legal & Political!  Cheesy

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2005, 01:36:25 PM »
How to stay awake?

Good tunes, strong black coffee, and NO cruise control.

When I bought my '93 truck new, I was sooo happy it did NOT have cruise. All the ones I'd had before - always went out and a PITA to get fixed and stay fixed. Eventually had them removed..."weight is horspower" and "if it ain't there - can't break". *grin*

I drive, I control the vehicle. I can also drive left footed.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 02:07:32 PM »
San Diego to the Grand Canyon.  I was awake for 38 hours straight.

Ron

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »
I drove my sisters Jetta from the Chicago burbs to Palm Desert, Ca. when she moved out there with her new husband. They drove the U Haul and Cherokee out there a week ahead of me.

Made it into Amarillo TX on the first day. 15 hours I think it took.

My butt was real sore.

Took my time and hit the Grand Canyon on the second stage of the trip.