Author Topic: Longest you've ever driven  (Read 8136 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Longest you've ever driven
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:31 PM »
Just arrived here in Sun Prairie, WI from Satellite Beach, FL after 21 hours, stopping only for gas.  Having the wife along for the trip helped in that respect.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 05:29:26 PM »
Many, many trips...both amatuer and professional.

Coming home on leave from Camp Pendleton to Omaha...22 hrs only stopping for gas.  Did that many times.  Styrofoam cooler full of cola, salted peanuts, and beef jerky kept me going.  I've always had the ability to stay awake for long periods, especially when driving.  Staying alive is more important than sleep.

In the past 7 yrs I've logged approximately 800,000 miles in my 18 wheeler.  2.5 yrs of that I had my wife along as a team driver.

We routinely went from Salinas, CA to Boston in 3 days hauling produce.  3,200 miles.  We were still able to park from midnite to 6 am, and run the trip legally and within the speed limit.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 05:43:19 PM »
Not me, but my Dad,

36 hours, from West Plains, MO to Visalia, CA.....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »
The best kind of car is a rental car.

There's an Avis location in a nicer hotel near work... I log on, reserve a car, then the next day I park in the company parking lot. Walk over. Pick it up. Darn, they don't have any subcompacts. They don't have any compacts. Would I like the Malibu or the Monte Carlo for the subcompact price? Then it's St. Louis to Atlanta for the weekend...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 07:26:39 PM »
When I was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, I would sometimes leave post at about 6 pm Friday and get to my parent's house near Saint Louis at around 7 am.  Stopped every few hours for Dr. Pepper and coffee.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »
Longest stretch was 28 hours from Susanville, CA to Albequerque, NM.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 04:23:42 AM »
I have done LA to Phila or reverse a number of times. The most memorable was in a '53 Willy's Flat fender Jeep left Carlsbad CA and took route 10 across the southern end non stop except to pee and snooze for a few hours in the back of the jeep with an overnight at my brothers in Atlanta.  Then drove north on 95 I hit Harrisburg mid afternoon on the 29th of March 1979.  That was Three mile Island.
100 miles into the trip I blew my engine and spent a week in a junk yard in Jacumba, CA swapping it out, eating only orange marmalade sandwiches and sleeping in a ravine each night, it was a good thing I picked the second ravine not the first because the illegals were using the 1st and 3rd ravine down that back road that week. Then I started my marathon of getting my kidneys beaten to death with that short frame of my Jeep.   As I was driving thru ElPaso I saw the test shuttle(Atlantis?) on the back of the 747 that carried it either from FL to NV or opposite.  While driving thru Dallas i got stuck behind some little old lady doing 25 mph for about 10miles, I could not pass her so I almost pushed her along.  I would have pushed her but I had a big huffin' trailer tow bar on the front of my jeep.  I also had no gas gauge, just the 10 gallon under seat tank and 2 - 5 gal jerry cans.  I would drive til my under seat tank ran out and then fill it with a jerry can, then start looking for a gas station. I always hoped that I would find one bacause each 5 gal gave me just under 50 miles.   I had a 283 Chevy V8 with a big 650 carb on it and if I stuck my foot in that little jeep it would roar down the road like a raped ape.  It got 10 mpg and that was if I kept my foot off it.  It was some where in the middle of that ride that I decided to get my head out of my rectal area and straighten out my life, so somewhere in the middle of west Texas while I was driving down the middle of I-10 I quit cold turkey Dope and Drink.  

Tis been a good life.
Brian
<><
:)

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 04:38:11 AM »
Denver to Houston ~1120 mi in 18 hours.
Long Beach to New Orleans  ~1900 mi in 30 hours
Rehoboth MA to Colorado Springs CO (scenic route through the south) 4 days, no clue on the mileage.
Most recent - Denver to Lamar WY ~600 mi with my father in law.  Pheasant hunting trip.  in a 1980 Ford F250

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:14 AM »
I think I hold the record for solo non-stop!
D. R. ZINN

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 07:06:02 AM »
100 miles into the trip I blew my engine and spent a week in a junk yard in Jacumba, CA swapping it out, eating only orange marmalade sandwiches and sleeping in a ravine each night, it was a good thing I picked the second ravine not the first because the illegals were using the 1st and 3rd ravine down that back road that week.
My company has an office in Jacumba, and I shoot there all the time.  Wouldn't want to sleep out in that place, though.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »
Day 1: Virginia Beach Va to Memphis, TN (close to 1000 miles, about 19 hours) stopped for a 5-6 hour nap
Day 2: Memphis TN to Austin, TX (650 miles, about 10 hours)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
Beaumont, TX to Salt Lake City, Utah.  Drove it twice, both times one way.  1800ish miles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »
My fastest run from Phila to Oceanside was 47 1/2 hours during the "convoy" days, I was in a line of trucks in my 73 Pinto Coupe, not the explosive hatchback, and was moving about 90 some of the time, had 3 - 2 hour naps, covered 2752 miles.
Brian
<><
:)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
3 days from Hartford, CT to Long Beach, Ca and then I went back the other way 3 months later. On the way back I took 9 days and did kind of a zig zag up and down the map. I drove a '63 Chevy Nova II out there and a '70 Fiat 124 wagon back. This was in 1980. Only trouble on the whole adventure was one flat tire on the Chevy and some guy adjusted the Fiat carb and timing for me at a rest stop so it would run in the Rockies.  The trip back only cost me $125 in gas. Cheesy

Then there's CT to Fla and back a few times.

Lot's of other somewhat shorter trips but those were the farthest.

Now that I'm thinking about it I drove that same Fiat from Hartford to Miami a couple years later and left it there dying but still not dead in like 1983. It was a great little runner but it kept popping generators and they were NOT cheap. I gave it to a friend.

Having driven as a part of my job for 25 years now, long road trips just don't excite me the way they used to...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »
Not solo, but non-stop. My friend and I took his 66 GTO from Norfolk to LA (Sunland) non-stop prior to a Med cruise in 1972.  We loaded up on KFC chicken and at that time they were also pushing ribs. We had 3 buckets of chicken, 2 boxes of ribs, several large bottles of Dr. Pepper and a desire to get where we were going.

Longest solo has been Norfolk to Lawton, OK or San Diego to Lawton, OK. Not sure which was furthest...they were both around 21-24 hours.

Most fun non stop solo was San Diego to Lawton on a 1975 Norton 850 Commando, in 1976.

Now that I am married, and much older, SWMBO feels 3-400 miles a day is more than sufficient.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:40 PM »
One memorable one was a family Christmas trip with the future in-laws coming home to VA from Minnesota. Stopped on the west side of Illinois and I was going to drive for a little while. Wake us when we get to Indiana they say. Huntington,WV is just as good right? That was the first application of my patented night driving routine. 1 large coffe, two vivarin, two Jolt colas in the floorboard when the coffe runs out. Nowadays we have Red Bull Wheeee!

Most of my longer trips are multi-driver, but pretty rigorous. We brake for nobody. Wanna take a piss, you better do it while someone else is pumping gas or you will do without.

Short weekends can be fun, I often drive 180 miles to where my race car resided, wake up the next morning, drive the same or more to a race track, race, tow the same distance back, arriving at 2am, wake up the next morning, clean and fix the car, drive the 180 miles back to be at work Monday.

I am also proud of my personal best from Norfolk, Va to Jax, Fl. 7 hours, 45 minutes. Do not try this at home. Would be a lot faster if it weren't for having to avoid cops in Emporia every time you get within 30 miles of the town.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.