Author Topic: Why do some people find the sound of distant thunder soothing?  (Read 592 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Why do some people find the sound of distant thunder soothing?
« on: October 06, 2022, 11:09:28 PM »
My theory is that in the distant past, predators would shelter from storms.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Why do some people find the sound of distant thunder soothing?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 11:17:01 PM »
I don't know if I find the sound soothing.  I was always a bit excited and fascinated by thunderstorms.  The light and sound show can be quite entertaining watching from shelter.  However, the dogs we had growing up never liked it.  Not sure about the cows. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
A thunderstorm is soothing, if I'm sitting in the house in my favorite chair reading.

If I'm outside, there's a bit more excitement in the mix.

I do like to watch them come through no matter the circumstances.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 08:25:45 PM »
Rain is much more soothing if you're not worried about a leaky roof or basement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 08:31:19 PM »
When I was a LITTLE kid, we lived in the Waco Texas area and dad would have us all sit on the back door stairs and watch the distant lightning and listen to the thunder. I remember those times to this day and don't recall ever being scared of thunder. Riding out a BAD hurricane where the eye passed over our house is a horse of a different smell!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »
The sound of thunder in the distance is soothing because it is distant. Close in bodes close in lightning.  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 02:00:04 PM »
I just close my eyes and imagine it's the sound of friendly artillery shelling ever more isolated liberal positions in the civil war they seem to want and, for some reason, think that they can win.

You'd think that the complete and utter self-destruction of the First "Chicks Who Were Born With Sticks" Brigade when they found out that they couldn't get a double skinny no caf vegan lattes at the Commissary would have tipped them off...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 02:15:27 PM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 02:32:34 PM »
^ Pure rhapsody, K Frame. :)

I never felt comforted by distant thunder.  It was just a warning to keep a weather eye out to get the horses in and do some hatch-battening.  I used to have one of those old-fashioned metal construction worker hats which was noisier than hell in hail.  I don't remember any of our dogs getting spooked by thunder.

Oddly, what gives me a soothing feeling is a motorcycle in the distance on a summer's eve.  Weird, huh?  Don't know why, but I could rationalize it by saying it sounded like someone was having fun driving it.  Wind in face,  beard catching bugs...

Vroooooooooooooooooooooom............
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 03:31:08 PM »
I always enjoyed thunderstorms in CA, as they were usually far enough away you were just watching the lightning migrate across the sky. My folks had a great view of the Sierras, so it was always neat watching thunderstorms at their place. Even CA thunderstorms that passed overhead were "relaxing" to watch.

Here, we get a lot more thunderstorms than where I lived in CA. I still like watching them pass across the sky, even when they pass by close. I gotta say that I don't enjoy the ones that come directly over the house. The thunder and lightning I wouldn't mind, but the storms here always seem to be accompanied by 50mph winds, so instead of enjoying the show, I'm on edge about what is getting blown away around or on the house.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 04:49:06 PM »
 if I live in a noisy area, I will play thunder/lightning video's to sleep by
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »
In my neighborhood, the terminally caring folks go nuts just before holidays imploring people to avoid fireworks or shooting in the air... Not because of what goes up coming down, but because their precious furbabies freak out over the noise.

Okayfine - if you're not freaking out, your critters won't freak out.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 05:20:34 PM »
"Okayfine - if you're not freaking out, your critters won't freak out."

Absolute 100% BULLSHIT statement.  :mad:

Some animals are very upset by thunder, explosions, or other loud noises, just as some humans are.

I have NEVER "freaked out" over thunder storms or fireworks, but I've had two dogs that were, from the very first day I had them, terrified by the noise. It was innate to their nature, and certainly wasn't something that they learned from me.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 05:23:29 PM »
Okay - why does one labrador try to crawl under the sofa in the basement, but one in a different family is at the front door wanting to go out and play?
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 05:25:35 PM »
Okay - why does one labrador try to crawl under the sofa in the basement, but one in a different family is at the front door wanting to go out and play?

Really? You think that dogs are punched off an assembly line and all have the same personality software?

Are humans that way?

If humans have distinct personalities and innate tendencies, what makes you think that animals don't?

Jesus.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 05:48:40 PM »
"Woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered..."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »

I've had dogs that absolutely freaked the F out during a thunder storm and some that didn't care. The freakouts definitely weren't getting their cues from me or the wife.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »
I think lightning/humidity does something to the atmosphere that perhaps has has a calming effect, or maybe the sound is comforting for some reason.
When I lived in Florida I loved the summer night sky, almost always a cool light show off in the distance
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 06:27:25 PM »
Really? You think that dogs are punched off an assembly line and all have the same personality software?

Are humans that way?

If humans have distinct personalities and innate tendencies, what makes you think that animals don't?

Jesus.

^^^What he said. I'm scared of neither guns nor thunder. Dogs are individuals just like people.

First lab, Tara, I got as a pup. Scared of both guns and thunder. As simply excellent as she was in retrieving instinct and enthusiasm, I thought she was going to be a bust as a hunter until our first actual hunt where she put together birds falling out of the air and gun shots. Then anytime she even heard a gun action, she went bonkers knowing she was going hunting. She never got over her fear of thunder. Not to the point of running away, but running to me and needing to be cuddled.

I got Romy the lab as a pup as well. She was scared of neither guns nor thunder. If it was close thunder, she'd find me and hang out close by.

Steve the mutt showed up scared to death of gunshots and guns and general. I've never been able to break him of that even though he seems to have a strong hunting instinct. Even shooting with a friend and his lab, hoping that when Steve saw the lab excited about guns, and also retrieving geese, that he would catch on. Nope. Let him off his lead, and he'll not run away, but trot the 1/4 mile from the blind back to my front porch and hang out there till I get back. Just wants nothing to do with guns. Possibly because something involving guns may have happened to him when he was out on his own before he found me. Thunder? He could give a *expletive deleted*it. Same with other loud noises. He'll hang out right next to me when I'm running the log splitter or chainsaw, even though I'm wearing earpro.

The only place I might assign credence to what Bogie said is that like me, Steve is a loner. He might have got that from me, or he might have got that on his own. If I'm sitting on the porch, he might sit by me, but more often then not, he just wanders off to his kennel and hangs there by himself, even if the cat is laying next to me. Same in the house. If I'm in the living room watching TV or reading, he's not laying next to me like normal dogs. He goes to his bed in the bedroom and hangs there by himself. The only exception is the Winter months when I have the wood stove going. Then he's on his mat by the fireplace while I read by the fire. My previous dogs always hung out near me.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 08:49:46 PM »
I just don't see thunderstorms as anything to be romantic about.   

I remember standing in the turnaround area on my farm east of Boulder CO watching a really violent storm off to my northwest.

Couldn't see the actual storm, just the surrounding clouds and almost continuous lightning.  I remember thinking, "Wow, that's a beaut." Got on the CB for something else a little later and found channel 9 (the emergency channel) was alive with chatter about emergencies and calls for help.

Next day I found out on the news that was the Big Thompson flood:

In the early evening of July 31, 1976, a large stationary thunderstorm released as much as 7.5 inches of rainfall in about an hour (about 12 inches in a few hours) in the upper reaches of the Big Thompson River drainage. This large amount of rainfall in such a short period of time produced a flash flood that caught residents and tourists by surprise

The immense volume of water that churned down the narrow Big Thompson Canyon scoured the river channel and destroyed everything in its path, including 418 homes, 52 businesses, numerous bridges, paved and unpaved roads, power and telephone lines, and many other structures.

The tragedy claimed the lives of 144 people. Scores of other people narrowly escaped with their lives. The Big Thompson flood ranks among the deadliest of Colorado's recorded floods.

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/gip35

Hard to be romantic about storms after that one.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://youtu.be/MUIAToqEfMo (18:57)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:05:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 09:27:32 PM »
I find rain a bit soothing (at least when I am under cover).  Thunderstorms are just fun to watch.  One of the most memorable is one time I was driving and seemed to be in a pocket with thunderstorms ahead and to either side.  The light show was great. 

My former boss had a lap dog (his wife's) that would have nervous breakdowns on holidays when fireworks were being shot off.  He certainly didn't have an issue.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 12:53:58 AM »
Thunder & lightning = Nature's fireworks.   [popcorn]
There are hunting dogs that turn out to be "gun shy" due to the noise and will never make a decent hunter, despite their breeding.
Dogs that are "pets" never had that breeding and show their fear and anxiety even more.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 06:25:50 AM »
I used to find thunder and lightning shows from distant thunderstorms enjoyable.  But having been on the receiving end of damage from large hail, lightning and tornadoes kind of destroyed that whole thing for me.

"Woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered..."

Love that tune.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.