Author Topic: The evils of Ethanol  (Read 9494 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: The evils of Ethanol
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
I'm curious why some here think it's a good idea to subsidize this particular idea when it isn't economically viable on it's own?

We seem to have some consensus that government meddling invariably leads us away from optimized solutions for the conditions. Why is this different?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
No, I support that your assertions are ignorant, asinine, and reek of liberalistic class-warfare snobbery, but you can keep digging if you like.

Brad

Opposing government subsidies makes me a liberal? What a strange world you live in.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
I'm curious why some here think it's a good idea to subsidize this particular idea when it isn't economically viable on it's own?

We seem to have some consensus that government meddling invariably leads us away from optimized solutions for the conditions. Why is this different?

Are you talking about food or fuel ethanol?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
So what other industries do ya'll think the government should be subsidizing? Where else are we just aching for central control lest we be transformed into a third world nation? Why is "privatize the profit socialize the loss" ok for farmers but not other industries?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Now the Gov. wants to boost the ethanol content of gas to 15%.  Wonder why.....

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
Are you talking about food or fuel ethanol?

Fuel ethanol.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
Fuel ethanol.

I don't think anyone mentioned anything about supporting subsidizing the ethanol industry.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
Opposing government subsidies makes me a liberal? What a strange world you live in.

No, blanket-statementing farmers and farming as corporate whores and then trying to legitimize it with political double-speak does.

Balog, buddy, you really need to spend a couple days in a farmer's boots before you get your foot any further in your mouth.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about supporting subsidizing the ethanol industry.

Well, lets try the same argument for farming subsidies in general.  >:D

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
No, blanket-statementing farmers and farming as corporate whores and then trying to legitimize it with political double-speak does.

Balog, buddy, you really need to spend a couple days in a farmer's boots before you get your foot any further in your mouth.

Brad

They receive huge amounts of .gov money in subsidies etc. I stand by my statement. Perhaps you'd care to venture beyond pathetic attempts at insulting me into addressing the facts of the matter? Or will you be sticking with the "Hurr durr farmers yur just a librul who needs to get outta the city" bullshit?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
Millcreek, "close" is a moving target.
The pressure to keep going with these alternative fuels is very much dependent on how much pain we feel at the pump.
It's just like Detroit.  When the Arab Oil Embargo of '74 hit, Detroit responded by making more fuel-efficient vehicles.
Once that crisis was over, the land yachts and Texas Cadillacs started coming off the assembly lines en masse again.
It's cyclical, and the juggernaut that's Detroit is slow to swing the rudder over hard when it happens.  And they bristle when CAFE rules start pinching them.
You can call it market-driven, too.  Cheap gas?  Let's buy a Hummer H2!   $4.00/gallon?  Time to buy a Toyota Yaris!
Same goes for the alternative fuels folks.  We have a company here called Virent Technologies (http://www.virent.com) who are doing great things with biomass fuel conversions - I'd love to go work for them!
When the price of crude was high not too long ago, they were getting Federal grants, as well as big chunks of money from Honda, etc.
Now, you barely hear a peep out of them. 

I don't think that is accurate. The EPA mandates a certain amount of ethanol fuel regardless of prices, while Congress also subsidizes the production side. Its one of the few funded/subsidized mandates. And its not a percentage mandate, its a gross production mandate to the tune of 18billion gallons for 2014.
statutory requirement of 18.15 billion gallons
http://www.nationaljournal.com/daily/ethanol-producers-nervously-await-epa-ruling-on-2014-target-20131111

Now the Gov. wants to boost the ethanol content of gas to 15%.  Wonder why.....

This is why the EPA is eyeing a bump of allowed ethanol to 15%. Fuel consumption is not increasing as fast as the mandate targets are per year. So the only way to hit the mandate is to increase the percentage of the cut.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
"Hurr durr farmers yur just a librul who needs to get outta the city" bullshit?

Sounds like a plan.  When can I tell Dad to expect you?  He could use the help and you could certainly benefit from the experience.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Well, lets try the same argument for farming subsidies in general.  >:D

My point of view some subsidies are necessary evil for national security (food and defense) while others are there because of some really good lobbying and probably could go away with much pain and mashing of the teeth, but in the end aren't really needed.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  When can I tell Dad to expect you?  He could use the help and you could certainly benefit from the experience.

Brad

So you basically have no logical defense of farm subsidies, aside from anyone who is opposed to them must be ignorant because they're opposed to them and only ignorant people are opposed to them? Would you care to actually make a case? Do you have any argument at all, aside from insulting those who disagree?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  When can I tell Dad to expect you?  He could use the help and you could certainly benefit from the experience.

Brad

I'm thinking about the time calves are needed to weaned from the mothers. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
I'm thinking about the time calves are needed to weaned from the mothers. :)

Nah, that's in Spring.  Right now we're being laying around and being lazy corporate whores, only running 24/7 trying to get wheat in the ground before it freezes.

Balog, still waiting for when I can tell Dad to expect you...

Brad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:49:54 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
Nah, that's in Spring.  Right now we're being lazy and only running 24/7 trying to get wheat in the ground before it freezes.

Brad

Probably planting that GMO *expletive deleted* that's poisoning America just to make a profit...

<ducks for cover while running away snickering>   :rofl:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Queue scout26's monthly ethanol rant.   ;/

Has it been a month already?   Remember to mark your calendar.   =D =D

(It also knocks 10% off your MPG, requiring you to buy more fuel at a higher price.)  

And yes, processing it through tasty critters or charred oak barrels is a much better use for it.

I'd have no problem with it, if 1) The .gov didn't subsidize it; and 2) The .gov didn't mandate its use in gasoline.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
So that would be a no in terms of having a logical argument then? And I never said lazy, just that they get more cash from the Feds than the welfare queens so despised on this board.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
Probably planting that GMO *expletive deleted* that's poisoning America just to make a profit...

<ducks for cover while running away snickering>   :rofl:

Sshhhhh dammit... don't give away the secret!

Brad
-HankB

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
To summarize the sides of the debate thus far.

"The Federal government giving tens of billions to a profitable industry is wasteful and should be stopped."

"You're just a libtard PUSSY who needs to get his hands dirty LOL!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
So that would be a no in terms of having a logical argument then? And I never said lazy, just that they get more cash from the Feds than the welfare queens so despised on this board.

A prerequisite of a logical defense is the presentation of a logical argument.  Call me naïve, but I'm pretty sure your original statement, "The biggest corporate whores / welfare queens in america are the big farmers.", lacks the necessary content, context, and objectivity to merit that consideration.

"You're just a libtard PUSSY who needs to get his hands dirty LOL!"

Hey, he gets it!

Brad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:04:34 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
And with that we close the thread.  Good job guys.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
I don't think anybody here's arguing that the Government should mandate and subsidize ethanol for fuel.

I do, however, believe that we need to get out from under Big Oil's thumb.  And Big Oil ain't gonna subsidize alternative fuels. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"