Author Topic: Comey Hearing - The Superbowl of DC  (Read 7218 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Comey Hearing - The Superbowl of DC
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:16:43 AM »
Or at least that's what the MSM and politicians of certain persuasions are calling it. Dem interns were in line for seats at 0400. From what I read, likely no "regular" members of the public will even be able top get a public seat. They're even opening bars early in DC for it. All it seems, in hopes of a bombshell that makes Trump step down.

Likely this will end up being along the lines of Al Capone's vault, but I'm looking forward to banging my head against the wall while reading the spin and hyperbole.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Chester32141

• friend
Re: Comey Hearing - The Superbowl of DC
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
Another perspective ...  [popcorn]

What better way to insure yourself against being fired than to give the impression that you are overseeing a grave investigation of potential wrongdoing by your boss?

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/07/james-comeys-latest-statement-is-an-indictment-of-comey-not-trump/
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
How much would you like to bet that there will be enough Republicans to cross over to give Dems the votes to introduce articles of impeachment?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
How much would you like to bet that there will be enough Republicans to cross over to give Dems the votes to introduce articles of impeachment?

That will  be interesting to see. Apparently a few dems have already drawn up the articles and are holding them for introduction. I read that some fairly high profile dems are actually fighting that. They're afraid that attempting to impeach this earlier will severely backfire on them on the grounds of partisanship.  I suspect they are right, and almost hope the nutjobs actually go forward now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
Impeachment for what crime exactly?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Impeachment for what crime exactly?

Obstruction of justice. For firing Comey. (According to Representative Green who has drawn up the articles.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
But the democrats wanted Comey fired late last year:

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-director-james-comey-unfit-public-service-517815

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »

Dems may be putting the cart in front of the horse ...  [popcorn]

Alan Dershowitz Says Trump Cannot Be Guilty of Obstruction While Exercising His Constitutional Authority

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ15ymETv-s
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
I don't have the intestinal fortitude to sit through the whole thing, but from the snippets I've heard so far (including the one where Trump wanted to Order Comey to launch an investigation, but Comey recommended he not do that) the dems might to want to wrap this up before it heads further into "empty vault" territory.

Everything else so far, while it might not be "proper procedure" is a long, long way from impeachable. Far more benign than many things Obama did.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
A Trump hater in my office brought in a radio to listen to this stuff live this morning... I'm having to keep my office door closed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
Well, I have to take some of my previous post back. Comey just said he took notes on a secure laptop because he was afraid Trump would say lies about him and their meeting. That will be fodder for sure.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
Comey comes across as a whiner who is trying to portray himself as a choirboy.  I'm ready for him to fade away from public view.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
I turned it on just in time to hear McCain attempt to ask some questions, he sounds drunk and extremely confused. Way more incoherent than usual, I'm kind of concerned about him.  =|
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
Also, if anyone is interested, Kamala Harris was an attorney general. She repeated the fact fifty times in her five minutes with Comey.  ;/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
Well, I have to take some of my previous post back. Comey just said he took notes on a secure laptop because he was afraid Trump would say lies about him and their meeting. That will be fodder for sure.

Who's to say that Comey's notes are true?  Something he made up out of whole cloth after each meeting/conversation to cover his ass and shift blame.  Anything Comey has to say against Trump, at the end of the day, is he said, she said.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Who's to say that Comey's notes are true?  Something he made up out of whole cloth after each meeting/conversation to cover his ass and shift blame.  Anything Comey has to say against Trump, at the end of the day, is he said, she said.

No way of knowing, but like I said, fodder for the MSM, who will only pick up anti-Trump stuff. Just look at these stupid "watch parties". Are any of them non-left?

Anyway, from what I saw of the hearing, and from what I'm seeing pop up on the MSM and on places like Fox and Twitchy, he seems to have made a pretty 50/50 split of stuff. Both sides will be alternately shouting "hurray" and "boo".

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
 [popcorn]  Bleepity-bleep hyena and unicorn show....... [tinfoil] [barf] [barf] [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Less than a year into Trump's first term, at least half the country would view that as a coup attempt, reducing our government to banana republic levels. Things could get very ugly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Apparently Comey has acknowledged that Loretta Lynch told him not to characterize the Clinton investigation as an "investigation." I wonder how the Dems like that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
Apparently Comey has acknowledged that Loretta Lynch told him not to characterize the Clinton investigation as an "investigation." I wonder how the Dems like that?

They're not accepting it. :)

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/06/08/backfire-alert-obstruction-of-justice-chit-chat-bites-loretta-lynch-right-in-her-backside/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
And that appears to be much further along the road to obstruction than Trump ever went. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Less than a year into Trump's first term, at least half the country would view that as a coup attempt, reducing our government to banana republic levels. Things could get very ugly.
Do we really want to start seeing Presidents kicked out of office for no real reason whenever Congress gets the urge to do so?  Yeah, not a good precedent.  I think most of this is just the media trying to blow things up since Trump news helps their ratings with both sides.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
Democratic Underground has been in full blown disappointment/meltdown mode since this morning.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »

Yeah, she wanted him to call it "a matter." Which only makes sense, as he was head of the Federal Bureau of Matters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
I, for one, think there should be a Federal Bureau of Matter and Anti-Matter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.