Author Topic: Downloaded file question  (Read 1060 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Downloaded file question
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »
Okay, if I know what I'm talking about, when you watch video clips on the internet the actual video clip gets downloaded to a temp folder somewhere on your computer. Could anyone tell me which folder in XP I could find those video files so that I can save them somewhere else permanently?
Andy

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Downloaded file question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm not sure that's always the case. Some video is streaming and doesn't actually write the file to your hard drive, just a "marker" to help your PC keep track of the video.

If it actually writes to your hard drive, use the search function in the start menu and search for all files ending with the extension of the video such as .wmv and it should reveal them. My thinking is they will probably be in the temporary internet folder if you are using IE.

cosine

• Administrator
Downloaded file question
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:46:11 PM »
I don't think they were streaming videos becasue as I was watching them every couple of seconds Windows Media PLayer  was giving a "percentage downloaded" message.

I may be wrong. I don't really know how this all works.

I'll try the hard drive search.
Andy

cfabe

• friend
Downloaded file question
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:14:11 AM »
Usually if you right click on the link you can hit "save target as" and save the file wherever you want on your hard drive. Some websites disable this ability, though.

Nightfall

• friend
Downloaded file question
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:09:18 AM »
If you're using IE, click "Tools", then "Internet Options", then "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files. Then click "View Files". Try sorting the list by size or type to help you find it (if it's there). Otherwise, I'd just give a hard drive search a try, narrow it down to video files and if you find it, move it to some other folder on your HD.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Vodka7

• friend
Downloaded file question
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:26:06 AM »
Easiest way might just be to re-download the movie itself.  Edit, View Source, ctrl+F, .wmv, keep going through until you find the right one.  If it's an HTTP server anything can download it, if it's an MMS server, you'll have to use something like SDP.

cosine

• Administrator
Downloaded file question
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 12:33:40 PM »
Well, none of this advice worked, so it must be a streaming video. Darn.
Andy