Author Topic: More Gov't banning...  (Read 1235 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
More Gov't banning...
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:04:57 AM »
This one seems like a good idea. Where do we draw the line on the Gov'ts reach?

Cell Phones May Interfere On Planes, Study Finds

POSTED: 9:56 am PST March 1, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- Talking on cell phones or using laptops on an airplane could disrupt cockpit operations, especially global positioning devices that are increasingly being used to help land planes safely, according to a new study.

Researchers monitoring flights in the Northeast found that several cell phone calls are typically made on commercial flights during takeoff or final approach, two critical flight stages when accidents could occur.

The research at Carnegie Mellon University was led by Bill Strauss, an expert in aircraft electromagnetic compatibility at the Naval Air Warfare Center in Patuxent River, Md.

Researchers monitored radio emissions from passengers on three airlines with the support of the Transportation Security Agency. The emissions were tracked using a broadband antenna that was attached to a portable spectrum analyzer in a piece of carryon luggage.

Granger Morgan, head of Carnegie Mellon's Department of Engineering and Public Policy Department, said the activity recorded shows that the use of electronic devices should be limited on airplanes.

Morgan said the disruptions are enough to affect a plane's navigation or other systems.

"I think it's fair to say there has never been an accident that you can clearly say was caused by electromagnetic interference," said Granger Morgan, head of the university's Department of Engineering and Public Policy Department.

The study, which received support from the Federal Aviation Administration, is being published in the March issue of the technology journal IEEE Spectrum.

Airline passengers are instructed to turn off all their portable electronic devices during a plane's landing and takeoff. Once a plane has reached 10,000 feet, airlines generally allow passengers to use laptops or game devices.

The FAA bans cell phone use during any part of a flight.

Some airlines, however, permit the use of newer phones in what is called airplane mode, which disconnects the telephone from the wireless network but allows users to access other features of the phone.

The Federal Communications Commission has commissioned a private, independent firm to study in-flight use of cell phones. The results of the study are due by the end of the year.

The researchers at Carnegie Mellon have recommended that the FAA and FCC work together to investigate in-flight use of cell phones. Also, the researchers recommended on-board radio emissions be monitored regularly by flight data recorders.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 03:01:51 AM »
Like I posted over on GT, this cell-phone-interruption claim is simply a facade to keep the sheeple from jabbering away for an entire flight and disrupting other folks.  Imagine, if you will, you are stuck in a 3 hour flight and three people in you immediate vicinity are on the phone...you know at least 50% of the population would if they could.  So, the airlines keep up this notion of planes going down in a fiery wreck if someone "phones home."  Pilots talk on the phone all the time.  Also, how do you think those seat-back phones work?  It's pretty much the same technology.

Greg

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 03:26:37 AM »
Banning government?  Now there's an idea whose time has come.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:15:39 AM »
Ban banning...

So, the airlines keep up this notion of planes going down in a fiery wreck if someone "phones home."
I got to laugh. I've been a heating tech forever and one big problem I find is everyone in the random office fiddling with the thermostat. I learned to put little signs that said something like, "T'Stat Broke! Electric shock Hazard! DO NOT TOUCH!!. Sometimes I'd draw a skull and crossed bones mostly because I can be a smartass at times.

Then I'd make a loud fuss around the office that too many people playing with it is what broke it. And usually the one in charge will threaten summary execution to the next person caught touching the T'stat.

Works pretty good. Wink

Then there was the guy who kept blocking the air vent for the furnace combustion cause it let in a draft. I finally put a sign that said, "Do not block! Heater will EXPLODE!"

That worked too.

Imagine, if you will, you are stuck in a 3 hour flight and three people in you immediate vicinity are on the phone...you know at least 50% of the population would if they could.
Have you heard your'e not supposed to talk on your cell phone on a plane cause it could CRASH?

Cheesy

Big_R

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:34:12 AM »
So, 280, did you ever install a phony t-stat for those folks that like to adjust it?  They're good for morale.  Don't ask me how I know.

Ryan

280plus

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »
Can't say as I have but that's BRILLIANT!!

I know of dummy / abandoned T'stats that people were using while never knowing they were dead.

and I HAVE adjusted them to read a couple degrees cooler or warmer depending on the situation. LOL...

Art Eatman

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
Pretend to change the thermostat setting.  Then say, "There.  I think you'll be more comfortable, now."

99% effective...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

crt360

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:35:45 PM »
I have a dummy stat in my office.  The guy that had this office before me supposedly controlled other peoples' temperature to their displeasure.  They disconnected him.  He's gone now and I'm stuck with a dummy stat.  I have to sneak into another office to adjust the temp.  Years ago we had a cleaning crew that would always unplug one of the other attorney's computers so they could plug in a vacuum cleaner.  I'm not sure if they spoke or read English, but he put some kind of skull & crossbones warning sign on the outlet.  It worked.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
More Gov't banning...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
People respect the skull and crossed bones...

Wink