Author Topic: Slight squeak when printer starts  (Read 701 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Slight squeak when printer starts
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »
Brother HL-L2320D series

Really good service but it's emitting a slight double squeak on picking up the first sheet of a print job.  Then it goes away.  Not bad, but I want to catch it before badness happens.

On the other hand, I'm not ready to really get into it.

So, can somebody suggest the most likely place to lube it?  It doesn't happen all the time and of course intermittent problems are the worst kind. And if it's in the paper tray, obviously I can't listen for it with the tray open.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Slight squeak when printer starts
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »
Brother HL-L2320D series

Really good service but it's emitting a slight double squeak on picking up the first sheet of a print job.  Then it goes away.  Not bad, but I want to catch it before badness happens.

Pickup rollers, likely.  How many rounds sheets through it?

On higher end printers, those are replaced on a schedule.  For something like that Brother, I doubt you could even get the part.  If it's the roller, you might be able to refresh the rubber surface.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:19:06 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
^^^What would one use to refresh the rubber surface in an application like this?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
They can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. That only removes surface crud, though.

Rollers harden over time and there's not much you can do other than replace them. Roller kits are available for higher-end printers. For most consumer-level stuff a failed roller equals new printer.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »
There are products available to treat older rollers to extend the life. The ones I see on-line now are aerosols but a few years ago I bought a small bottle of magic liquid that came in a needle oiler bottle. I put a small amount on a Q-Tip and used that to reach into the machine and daub the rubber rollers. It worked. It needs to be repeated about once a year, but the interval might be longer (or shorter) if that machine saw more use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »
Just do what I do when I hear noises in my car - turn up the radio.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:55:10 PM »
They can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. That only removes surface crud, though.

I remember back in the day using isopropyl alcohol to clean rollers and heads of tape recorders and VCRs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
Just do what I do when I hear noises in my car - turn up the radio.  =D

Yeah, really.

A couple months back our printer guy at work gave me a nice recent HP Laserjet something.  (Mono laser, printer only, I forget the model.  Decent printer, $4-500 printer.)   Customer wanted it gone.  "It's noisy."   Sounds just fine to me.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »

Rollers harden over time and there's not much you can do other than replace them. Roller kits are available for higher-end printers. For most consumer-level stuff a failed roller equals new printer.

Brad

They also wear, quite apart from crud build up.  The old LJ 4Si printers I would work on, with enough wear the rollers would get shiny.  Of course those were cheap, a couple bucks each, replaced 3 rollers for each tray, which took seconds to do.  I think the recommended replacement interval was 100000 copies on the rollers.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
There's a product in professional printing called blanket cleaner or blanket wash that can be used for cleaning rollers.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 06:41:03 PM »
This was supposed to have been posted above at 12:52PM but ended up on Ben's concrete block thread.

So, just for the sake of completion in my own mind...

--------------------------------------

Hmmm.  

I guess I've run five or six "reams" (500 sheets) of paper through it, and gone through three of the small TN-630 toner cartridges.  I'm guessing at this, mind you.

I was hoping to not have to start dismantling it to get to the problem.

I think what I'll do is wipe down what rollers I can get to conveniently (where do you get isopropyl alcohol anymore?) and dress them with a little bow rosin.  I had good luck using a tiny bit of rosin when refurbishing tape recorder belts and rollers back in the days when mechanical motion was required to record sounds and pictures.

I guess pitcher's rosin would do, too.

So thanks for pointing out the most probable source of the noise.

-------------------------

Let that be my worst mistake of the month.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.