Author Topic: Concrete Block Wall Seepage  (Read 785 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Concrete Block Wall Seepage
« on: November 15, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »
Preface: I don't know much about concrete block walls.

Below are some photos of the concrete block wall of my shop. It's been raining the last 24 hours, and I've notice water seepage on the interior of the wall. It either didn't happen or was to little to notice last Winter. It was evident when I walked into the shop this morning. This was our first decent rainstorm of the season.

Image #1 is an exterior portion. Note the damp area at the top. I only see this at that section. The rest of the wall looks like the bottom blocks (the darker blocks below are damp), though I have interior seepage along the whole wall.

Image #2 is the interior side of that wall. Note that the top appears to be dry here, but the rest is the type of seepage I'm seeing all along that wall . I'm pretty sure that wall faced the rain in this storm. The opposite lee wall seems to be pretty dry inside.

Image #3 is an example of two areas where it looks like water is making it to the shop floor.

The concrete block is well above ground level. I would say that the foundation sits a good 8-10" above ground. The exterior is painted. I don't know what kind of paint. The interior is bare. A quick search indicates I need something like these examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DRYLOK-5-Gal-White-Extreme-Waterproofer-209101/203887476?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-29332-456723-1083244&clickid=0EEwCMxeMxyLTvkwUx0Mo36DUkEzFBWOX0zi3M0

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-5-Gal-MS-43-Sandstone-Elastomeric-Masonry-Stucco-and-Brick-Exterior-Paint-06705/205452708?MERCH=REC-_-plpsearch_multi-_-NA-_-205452708-_-N

Does that sound right? The other thing is, should I do this immediately after there have been a few dry days? The daily highs are in the 40s right now and will average that through FEB. My concern would be trapping moisture that can't completely evaporate due to temp/weather, though I plan on leaving the interior bare as a place for moisture to evaporate. Just not sure if I should do it now or wait until Summer.

Anyways, thoughts?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Concrete Block Wall Seepage
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Find the source of the water intrusion before painting the interior.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:29:10 PM »
Find the source of the water intrusion before painting the interior.

My guess was that the exterior paint was either the wrong kind or else is worn to nothing, because it looks to me like it's just water absorption by the blocks, kinda like a sponge. I can't see any place that would be a source for water to pour into the wall to the point of making the whole big ass wall look exactly the same regarding those wet areas, most of which seem to follow the grout, the the blocks themselves are slightly damp feeling as well.

This rain came with some pretty strong wind, so I imagine the water was almost horizontally pounding the wall. I got water seepage in the garage as well from it looks like water getting forced past the bottom gaskets on the garage doors in a couple of places.

Oh, also, as I said, I hadn't planned on painting the interior.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
Concrete block, and the mortar that holds them together, is (are) porous, and will wick water when wetted. The exterior may have been painted, but the type of paint used may not have been an appropriate type to prevent the water intrusion you're seeing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-5-Gal-Elastomeric-Masonry-Stucco-and-Brick-Exterior-Paint-06805/100158685
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
A friend of mine used the Drylok product from Home Depot to paint the interior wall of a basement that was experiencing seepage.  The exterior was below grade.  He had great results with it, and since the exterior is accessible, I wonder if that would work well. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
Oops.  posted on wrong thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:37:44 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »
My guess was that the exterior paint was either the wrong kind or else is worn to nothing, because it looks to me like it's just water absorption by the blocks, kinda like a sponge. I can't see any place that would be a source for water to pour into the wall to the point of making the whole big ass wall look exactly the same regarding those wet areas, most of which seem to follow the grout, the the blocks themselves are slightly damp feeling as well.

This rain came with some pretty strong wind, so I imagine the water was almost horizontally pounding the wall. I got water seepage in the garage as well from it looks like water getting forced past the bottom gaskets on the garage doors in a couple of places.

Oh, also, as I said, I hadn't planned on painting the interior.

Sorry I meant exterior. Please don't buy paint from a big box store. If there is an exterior finish, you are probably going to need to remove as much as you can after it is good and warm outside (scraping, pressure washer, chemical), then refinish with a concrete sealer, couple coats of primer and a couple coats of exterior paint. Please don't buy paint from a big box store, go to a Sherwin Williams or Diamond Vogel store to buy the paint/primer.

Is this the shop with a wood stove? Fire it up and it will dry the wall out for you.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
Is this the shop with a wood stove? Fire it up and it will dry the wall out for you.

This is the shop where I'm thinking about a wood stove, but just have the kerosene torpedo heater now. I guess if it won't hurt anything, maybe it will then be best to wait until Summer.

Given the water absorption I saw today, I took the time to really inspect everything in detail and I also found several hairline cracks in the mortar on the opposite wall, to the point you could see daylight through them. So it sounds like I have a full reconditioning project ahead for it. Or else get out the checkbook so I can be at least a little retired.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 06:11:28 PM »
This is the shop where I'm thinking about a wood stove, but just have the kerosene torpedo heater now. I guess if it won't hurt anything, maybe it will then be best to wait until Summer.

Given the water absorption I saw today, I took the time to really inspect everything in detail and I also found several hairline cracks in the mortar on the opposite wall, to the point you could see daylight through them. So it sounds like I have a full reconditioning project ahead for it. Or else get out the checkbook so I can be at least a little retired.

Or go with exterior vapor barrier, fur strip out, and hardy plank siding.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Or go with exterior vapor barrier, fur strip out, and hardy plank siding.

That's actually not a bad alternative to consider. It might even add a little bit of insulation to the concrete.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 11:55:09 PM »
I've mostly dealt with poured concrete in my area.  My usual approach to foundation water problems is to look at the drainage and runoff situation first.  Water is difficult to keep out, better to mitigate it further upstream if possible.  This usually means a lot of digging, gravel and swearing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 03:15:37 AM »

Yes on the reconditioning. "Repointing" is the term. No paint or sealer can bridge cracks in the mortar; those joints need to be routed out and repointed. Whether you do the work or you hire it out, don't use pre-mixed masonry mortar unless you add hydrated lime to the mix. Lyme makes the mortar a bot softer (which is why you only use it for repointing the joints, not for building the wall), but it also makes it much stickier, to avoid having those cracks recur in a year's time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 03:36:46 AM »
Could this just be a high humidity and warm inside condensation problem?

My garage floor is wet every time the weather changes.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »
I suggest you check your roof and your gutters pronto. You've got a leak somewhere that's allowing water either into the core of the wall, or to wash down over the wall is my guess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.