Author Topic: Here's one you don't see every day  (Read 962 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Here's one you don't see every day
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:25:37 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/16/alaska-plane-kills-brown-bear-airport

It's just fortunate (for the plane) that they had already slowed to about 60 knots before impact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
Re: Here's one you don't see every day
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
Any slower they might have just made it mad.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »
I was watching a bit of a new show "Ice Airport" or something like that about the airport in Anchorage. They were with a grounds guy as he was checking and patching the airport fencing to keep the bears out. So it is a known hazard. When I was stationed at NADC Warminster (North of Philadelphia in Bucks County) we Cuisinarted a deer with a P3 propeller on landing one night. Talk about a mess.   [barf]

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 04:11:41 AM »
This was in Yakutat, which is much smaller and more remote than Anchorage.

The real annoying part for them will be replacing the nacelle in Yak.  I don't think there's much, if any, real maintenance facilities there.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
Back when I had just started taking flying lessons(1961), a pheasant flew into the prop on the takeoff roll. The instructor saw it hit the prop but I couldn't see it from my side of the cockpit. After the lesson was over, I went to find what was left of the pheasant. It was cleanly trisected. No damage to the prop.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
This was in Yakutat, which is much smaller and more remote than Anchorage.

The real annoying part for them will be replacing the nacelle in Yak.  I don't think there's much, if any, real maintenance facilities there.

I wondered about that. I wonder if they will be allowed to fly the plane back to their maintenance shed on one engine.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »
I wondered about that. I wonder if they will be allowed to fly the plane back to their maintenance shed on one engine.

That is an interesting question, I wonder if they have a single engine ferry procedure? I would bet not, the risks would seem to outweigh the benefits. It will probably be fixed on site. My experience was with a 4 engine turboprop and for us to get permission to do a 3 engine take off and ferry flight nearly took an act of congress. Then again we were military.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »
I would imagine that they'll ferry the parts, mechanics and any tools they need to Yakutat on one of their cargo flights or a combi, and fix it there.  As a boat captain with two engines I really didn't like leaving port on one screw.  It's one thing to finish a trip if one engine fails, another to start a trip down one engine.  I can't imagine many 737 pilots would want to take off to do an over water (or over mountain range, depending) flight down an engine.

Google Map "Yakutat Airport" and they have a nice picture of the Alaska Airlines terminal so you can see what they are working with.

Perhaps Flys320s can weigh in on his thoughts.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »

Google Map "Yakutat Airport" and they have a nice picture of the Alaska Airlines terminal so you can see what they are working with.

I checked it out on Google Maps -- that's what made me wonder if they might try to ferry it home on one engine. If not that, if they determine that the damage is mostly to the outer cowl and that the engine can run, they may band-aid it together and fly it home, then do an engine replacement.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »
I would imagine that they'll ferry the parts, mechanics and any tools they need to Yakutat on one of their cargo flights or a combi, and fix it there.  As a boat captain with two engines I really didn't like leaving port on one screw.  It's one thing to finish a trip if one engine fails, another to start a trip down one engine.  I can't imagine many 737 pilots would want to take off to do an over water (or over mountain range, depending) flight down an engine.

Perhaps Flys320s can weigh in on his thoughts.

I agree with you on this, they will fix it on site or duct tape it together enough to make a flight. I don't believe there is any way they would do a single engine T/O and ferry. I would imagine anytime a twin jet becomes a single jet they declare an emergency with ground control for expedited handling so to take off in what would normally be an emergency condition for flight just doesn't make a lot of sense.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »
No, no single-engine ferrying.  That is a stupid idea.... that I'd like to try.... in a sim.

Depending on the damage, they may be able to fly it out on 2 engines and fix in ANC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »
No, no single-engine ferrying.  That is a stupid idea.... that I'd like to try.... in a sim.

Depending on the damage, they may be able to fly it out on 2 engines and fix in ANC.

I am reminded of Steve's (Ben's dog) morale patch on his harness: That's a terrible idea. When do we start?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 05:24:53 PM »

We used to do stoopid stuff in the sim, like be at 10 miles out at 10K and feather all four engines and try to make the runway. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. The same with doing a loop in the P3. A lot of times it stalled right at the top of the loop, not a good place to be, except in the sim. Every one said doing four engine out stuff was ridiculous, it would never happen in a P3... don't ever say never in aviation.

http://www.vpnavy.org/vp47ditch.html#:~:text=%22A%20P%2D3C%20Ditches%20with,Engines%20Out%2C%20All%20Survive!%22&text=%22The%20fallen%20hunter%2C%20a%20P,All%2011%20crewmembers%20survived.&text=Little%20did%20we%20know%20that,worst%20P%2D3%20mishap%20ever.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950325-1

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
Every one said doing four engine out stuff was ridiculous, it would never happen in a P3... don't ever say never in aviation.

A NOAA P-3 lost three engines over water back in 2007. Got them started again, but it was kind of a whack-a-mole thing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjl64SPlo3tAhUcHzQIHSp2BjAQFjADegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fskybrary.aero%2Fbookshelf%2Fbooks%2F3131.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0azw_TwQvHu-83mSLVfmIA
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »
The report said there was no damage. I guess the pucker tracks on the seats faded quickly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
We used to do stoopid stuff in the sim, like be at 10 miles out at 10K and feather all four engines and try to make the runway. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. The same with doing a loop in the P3. A lot of times it stalled right at the top of the loop, not a good place to be, except in the sim. Every one said doing four engine out stuff was ridiculous, it would never happen in a P3... don't ever say never in aviation.

http://www.vpnavy.org/vp47ditch.html#:~:text=%22A%20P%2D3C%20Ditches%20with,Engines%20Out%2C%20All%20Survive!%22&text=%22The%20fallen%20hunter%2C%20a%20P,All%2011%20crewmembers%20survived.&text=Little%20did%20we%20know%20that,worst%20P%2D3%20mishap%20ever.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950325-1

bob

Sounds a bit like the Gimli Glider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Flying with all engines out was something that was never expected to occur, so it had never been covered in training.
In line with their planned diversion to Winnipeg, the pilots were already descending through 35,000 feet (11,000 m)[10] when the second engine shut down. They immediately searched their emergency checklist for the section on flying the aircraft with both engines out, only to find that no such section existed.

Well, :duh: