Author Topic: Arizona demonstrates the proper technique of a pimp slap  (Read 12077 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Arizona demonstrates the proper technique of a pimp slap
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »

http://www.azcc.gov/commissioners/Pierce/Documents/5-18-10.pdf

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona.  Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.” (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine.  As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce

Gee, who thought that threatening the folks who supplied you with 25% of your power grid, plenty of tourist dollars, etc would be a bad idea?   Way to go, LA!

Wish my state had utility commissioners with a sense of humor.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
Re: Arizona demonstrates the proper technique of a pimp slap
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »
WOOHOO! That's awesome, truly.

That's just.... "Your move, sir!" =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
Can Arizona legally do that?  As I understand it, it's usually illegal for a gas company to shut off service to a residence when it's 20 below outdoors.  Could there be similar laws at this level?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:51:21 AM »
Can Arizona legally do that?  As I understand it, it's usually illegal for a gas company to shut off service to a residence when it's 20 below outdoors.  Could there be similar laws at this level?

Doesn't often get below 20 degrees in LA...particularly during this time of year.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:16 AM »

Uh-huh, and a law in CA matters to AZ... why, exactly? :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:19:50 AM »
It would be very cool if AZ did stop selling power to CA, but I think we all know that is not going to happen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:24:54 AM »
I'd wish they'd do it for just one day......when it's like over 100F in LA.... >:D >:D >:D >:D

Oh, and shut off the water (Colorado River) too......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:54:43 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:56:59 AM »

They probably couldn't get away with shutting off the water.  Water rights in the West is...complicated, to say the least, and usually favors those downstream over those upstream. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
I'd wish they'd do it for just one day......when it's like over 100F in LA.... >:D >:D >:D >:D

Naaa.  The nooz would be full of stories of old folks keeling over dead from the heat.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
Obama would be all over the AZCC like stink on scat for some sort of "Interstate Commerce" issue if they even fluctuated CA power rates by a hundredth of a percent over this issue.  Let alone actually cut power transfer on the grid.

It's a good stinging letter... but it has no teeth.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »
I don't think they would shut off the utilities, but they would probably cooperate fully in renegotiating or terminating the contracts.  Either that, or they would demand a lump sum to terminate the long term contracts.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
Obama would be all over the AZCC like stink on scat for some sort of "Interstate Commerce" issue if they even fluctuated CA power rates by a hundredth of a percent over this issue.  Let alone actually cut power transfer on the grid.

Don't bet on it!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »
What if AZ power triples the rate for LA?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
Be a shame if someone accidentally took out a tower or two...

Blog under construction

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
We have a child-mayor, what can I tell you?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »

Actually, I'm thinking that the city of Los Angeles has wrapped itself up in a major Interstate Commerce faux pas of Constitutional dimensions.  Seems to me the Mayor has clearly stated the intent to mess with the economy of the soverign State of Arizona.  Start with this http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec10.html , then this http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A4Sec4.html , and then this http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am5.html .

Round up the National Guard and the attorneys.  March the first group westward to arrest Hizzoner and assorted minions while the second group wends their way eastwards to the Supreme Court with petitions in hand.  In the meantime, keep a very accurate audit of the difference between income from sources in LA prior to and post boycott announcement.  Add any other dip in revenues from any and all sources as collateral damage directly related to LA's actions.  Be sure to include the extra expense of auditing, which was directly caused by LA's boycott move.

Wish they had the fortitude to move on it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

taurusowner

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure the National Guard of one state marching on another state in force would overshadow the economic wrangling between said states.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
How about when the AZ LEO finds an illegal, give them the choice of being returned to their home country, or a bus ticket to LA?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 02:09:43 PM »

Can the fed.gov "legally" ignore their own immigration laws?

(shrug)

Guess so.

Interesting times indeed. Has there ever been a period with as much inter-state and state/fed.gov acrimony since the buildup to the Civil War?
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »
Can the fed.gov "legally" ignore their own immigration laws?
Fed.gov routinely ignores the Constitution, doesn't it?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
How about when the AZ LEO finds an illegal, give them the choice of being returned to their home country, or a bus ticket to LA?

That's actually a pretty good idea  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
That was amazing. Almost makes me wish I still lived in AZ.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Isn't it unconstitutional for states to engage in trade wars?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
Villaraigosa had a crony underling spokesman make a brief response to the letter:

"We're not going to respond to threats from a state which has isolated itself from the America that values freedom, liberty and basic human rights."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »
"We're not going to respond to threats from a state which has isolated itself from the America that values freedom, liberty and basic human rights."

Then what is the above statement?

"This mind intentionally left blank."