Author Topic: Aha moment  (Read 2555 times)

castle key

• friend
Aha moment
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
While cleaning firearms at work, I found the usual gunk and debris. Didn't have access to the high pressure air blower so I tried the canned keyboard blaster. That worked great.

I thought a bit more ooomph would help and stumbled across a solution.

I was in the rest room and blew out the various guns with the hand dryer.

At least I saved paper and the guns will not chap!

Don't think this is a good idea in a school house.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

dm1333

• friend
Re: Aha moment
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »
What firearms?  I'm going to remember the keyboard blaster trick!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
What firearms?  I'm going to remember the keyboard blaster trick!

Whenever I need canned air for computer stuff, I always buy the Costco six pack and take half of them to the reloading room. Super convenient for both gun cleaning and also blowing stuff out of nooks and crannies on the presses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
What about a hair dryer?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
What about a hair dryer?

Silly Okie, guns don't got hair.

I keep a can of air on the reloading bench, it doesn't take too much spilled powder to start to gunk up the progressive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »
Bought one of these a few years ago from Home Depot.  It was new and under $50.  Doesn't take too long to ring up $50 in cans of air, and this does a great job.  Only about a foot and a half long.  Very portable, or it can be kept right where you use it most.  I've still got my larger compressor for bigger jobs, but this is great for just blowing stuff out.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-DISCONTINUED-HHD2NK/203154549#.UVZgohxrTIo

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:05:10 AM »
Bought one of these a few years ago from Home Depot.  It was new and under $50.  Doesn't take too long to ring up $50 in cans of air, and this does a great job.  Only about a foot and a half long.  Very portable, or it can be kept right where you use it most.  I've still got my larger compressor for bigger jobs, but this is great for just blowing stuff out.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-DISCONTINUED-HHD2NK/203154549#.UVZgohxrTIo

Need that.

I miss the good old days before air-dusters were so regulated due to huffers. Back in the early 90's when I worked there, CompUSA had a brand called "Windy City" which was essentially canned ethane. The employee discount being "at cost" they were only $.25 each. So one winter I and another enterprising nerd bought a case of them each.

After close one night, we inverted the cans and hosed down a snow-bank and gave a demonstration of "Likely conditions on Saturn's moon Titan".

Then after that, we lit the snowbank on fire and everyone enjoyed the spectacle of a burning snowbank that wouldn't melt.

The GM of the store walked by and said, "I don't want to know".
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »
I bought a gross of canned air in the 1990's when I had my photo studio, as it was something I use a lot.

I still have about half that case left. I think it will last the rest of my life.

It's good for getting that last bit of Hoppes that's inside the gun, that bit that will run down the slide onto your shirt when you holster the pistol, if you don't blow it out first.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
For years I've had a little 2-gal compressor in my kitchen, hung from bungee cords under the table and resting also on a big pad of foam rubber.  I live in an apartment, and very little of the running noise gets around the building.

Handier than hell.  I clean out my shavers with it, dry off eyeglasses, blast the pine needles off my balcony, dust off books which have been shelved for a long time, all kinds of stuff, including blowing crap out of guns.  (Be wary of the resultant spray of solvents.)

'Course, I'm a bachelor, so I can get away with having one in my kitchen.  I suspect if they housed a compressor in pretty plastic like a cuisinart or something and made the nozzle and hosing  a pretty color, housewives would allow it in "their" kitchens.  Then they'd realize the full utility of compressed air in the kitchen.

And then you'd get words like, "Oh, no, you're not going to use my compressor on that dirty old gun..."  Or "icky shaver."  Or whatever you want to clean off.

I got mine for less than $40 at an auto parts store about ten years ago.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:41:46 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
I bought a gross of canned air in the 1990's when I had my photo studio, as it was something I use a lot.
You bought canned air from New Jersey?

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
You bought canned air from New Jersey?
Chris

did it come with its own gas mask? =)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »

Thanks.  I didn't realize air compressors were available that small and cheap.  I picked one up yesterday.  $59 at Menards.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
Thanks.  I didn't realize air compressors were available that small and cheap.  I picked one up yesterday.  $59 at Menards.

You're welcome.  It initially got my attention because it was little and cute.   :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Be sure you drain it regularly.  Also, if blowing stuff out, its worth it to spend the extra and get an inline dryer.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

You can find coupons for $39.99 in magazines. I actually use mine more than my big compressor.

I have that compressor. One year later, still working fine.

It could break tomorrow and i've gotten MORE than enough use out of it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
Mine's an "Alltrade," which I'm sure I got from Checker Auto.  Got a regulator on it, and an auto shutoff, internal fan to cool the compressor, and came with all the hosing, nozzle-accessories, tire inflator, basketball inflator needle,  blow-up doll air mattress inflator,

After about 10 years, it's finally developed a slow leak, probably the regulator diaphragm or somewhere in the fittings or hosings.  I don't  think it's a tank leak, with the RH so low around here, it doesn't collect much water, and it's not wetting the foam rubber I have it sitting on.

I paid $39.99 for it about ten years ago, but that was when $39.99 was $39.99.  Probably about $65 in today's money.

As I said before, you can't realize how handy they are until you start using one.  Just watch the spray from solvents.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
For years I've had a little 2-gal compressor in my kitchen, hung from bungee cords under the table and resting also on a big pad of foam rubber.  I live in an apartment, and very little of the running noise gets around the building.

Handier than hell.  I clean out my shavers with it, dry off eyeglasses, blast the pine needles off my balcony, dust off books which have been shelved for a long time, all kinds of stuff, including blowing crap out of guns.  (Be wary of the resultant spray of solvents.)

'Course, I'm a bachelor, so I can get away with having one in my kitchen.  I suspect if they housed a compressor in pretty plastic like a cuisinart or something and made the nozzle and hosing  a pretty color, housewives would allow it in "their" kitchens.  Then they'd realize the full utility of compressed air in the kitchen.

And then you'd get words like, "Oh, no, you're not going to use my compressor on that dirty old gun..."  Or "icky shaver."  Or whatever you want to clean off.

I got mine for less than $40 at an auto parts store about ten years ago.

Terry, 230RN

I thought as much. 

Compressed air is handy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
I do not understand how you people that do not have an air compressor at home survive.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »

Yea, I'm buying one this weekend.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
I do not understand how you people that do not have an air compressor at home survive.

Out here in the boondocks, an air compressor and a battery charger are essential, unless you want to be a burden on your neighbors.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin